What's new

WIFI Calling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Akki

Occasional Visitor
Hello Group,

I read many posts about Wi-Fi Calling problems and mainly, as I can see IPSEC Passtrough enabling, will solve this problem.

In my setup, ASUS WRTG is set in AP Mode, so I cannot find IPSEC option (as understand it's under WAN menu/not available in AP MODE)
When cellphones are connected directly to Modem/Router Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Calling will work fine, so It's for sure that I have to change something on ASUS.

Help would be appreciated.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "ASUS WRTG". Are you referring to the firmware name, asuswrt or asuswrt-merlin?

In any case, yes IPSec Passthrough is a WAN option. If your Asus is in AP mode that option is not relevant as AP's don't have a WAN interface. So what make and model of router is this AP connected to?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "ASUS WRTG". Are you referring to the firmware name, asuswrt or asuswrt-merlin?

In any case, yes IPSec Passthrough is a WAN option. If your Asus is in AP mode that option is not relevant as AP's don't have a WAN interface. So what make and model of router is this AP connected to?
Sorry, AP in this case is Asus RT-AC5300
Modem is Bell GigaHub 4000 (when cell phone is connected to it directly, Wi-Fi Calling works fine)

When looking for assist on WiFi calling, it's important to note if it is Android or iPhone - there are subtle differences in how the feature is implemented, and this also goes towards which mobile operator is in play. The challenge with WiFi calling is that is it part of the IMS specification which also includes applications like VoLTE, RCS, and other fun things.

And note - even on the same operator, implementations can vary - I've got a Mint Mobile sim card that works fine on iPhone 11 Pro, but drop that same SIM card into my OnePlus Nord N20 5G, and WiFi calling fails to register...

My primary line is ATT - and there they use IPv6, with L2TP/IPSec, and it works great, even to the point of being able to handoff from the WiFi to LTe without incident or a drop in voice quality...

There's a lot of "Should" and "May" statements in IMS, and it's a collection built across both 3GPP and various IETF working groups - it's a beast of a specification, and adding to that are the carrier requirements.

4 years ago, I implemented a VoLTE stack on LTE CAT1 for an IOT device, and it was one of the more challenging projects I've ever done in my career...

I have no issues using VOIP. I have Grandstream VOIP gateway with a wired connection. Our Android photos use VOIP over WiFi direct to Verizon with no issue as well. Why do you need the VPN connection?

The default settings would not block that.

@Akki has an issue when the phone is connected to an Asus router in AP Mode. What is going on there - I don't know.

My primary line is ATT - and there they use IPv6, with L2TP/IPSec, and it works great, even to the point of being able to handoff from the WiFi to LTe without incident or a drop in voice quality...

Note - this isn't a VPN as most would consider - this is set up between the handset and ATT specifically for VoWIFI and VoLTE traffic only - this happens in the background, and normally doesn't need any special settings in the Router/Firewall for most home networks.

Sorry, AP in this case is Asus RT-AC5300
Modem is Bell GigaHub 4000 (when cell phone is connected to it directly, Wi-Fi Calling works fine)
So why not bind the phone to the Bell? It seems to work there...

In my setup, ASUS WRTG is set in AP Mode, so I cannot find IPSEC option (as understand it's under WAN menu/not available in AP MODE)
The IPSEC passthrough option isn't required on the AP, as it only affects when running in router mode, with a firewall between the LAN and the WAN.

Wi-Fi calling works great for me. When using WI-Fi calling you are not using minutes on time in your phone bill. You are using internet bandwidth. It works well for my wife also. We both have iPhones.
And when we have friends over, they use it also across our guest network. We can have multiple people on at the same time with no dropped calls.

If Wi-Fi calling does not work well then you need to look at your hardware and software you are using and maybe how you have your local Wi-Fi network defined.

Last edited:
The Asus equipment may be adding unnecessary complexity.
If you need better wifi coverage, can’t you call Bell to see if they’ll send you some of those mesh node booster radios that you just plug in? Or are those “rental equipment” these days?

The Asus equipment may be adding unnecessary complexity.
If you need better wifi coverage, can’t you call Bell to see if they’ll send you some of those mesh node booster radios that you just plug in? Or are those “rental equipment” these days?
From what I know that is T-Mobile that has the booster. Once you install it anybody local can use it.
I have not heard of one from AT&T before.
My Wi-Fi works great so I don't need one.

ASUS may not be adding complexity but lacking in simplicity.

From what I know that is T-Mobile that has the booster. Once you install it anybody local can use it.
I have not heard of one from AT&T before.
My Wi-Fi works great so I don't need one.
Wrong country, bud. Head North to Bell (Canada)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!