What's new

WiFi -> LAN, can't use computer names, only IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lazzerman

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I have a small home network with the following computers all hooked up to a Netgear CG 3100 router:

(LAN - cable)
1. Win 2008 Server
2. HTPC
3. Wokstation

(LAN - Wifi)
4. XPS Studio 16
5. Eeepc
6. Asus U30
7. Asus G2

All machines except the server runs Win 7 x64 or x86.

My problem is that the WiFi machines only reaches the LAN machines by using the IP-adress and vice versa - I can't use the computer names. For now, I have solved it by using static IP adresses and host files, but it feels "wrong".

Previously I had a Dlink DIR 655 - can't remember that I had this problem back then.

I need suggestions of what might be wrong. I have enabled NetBios over TCP/IP, tried with and without homegroup, alas to no avail.

My guess is that the Dir 655 stored MAC + Computer Name in its internal router table, and that the CG3100 only stores the MAC adress - does that make sense?

TIA!

Regards,

Lazze - Sweden

On the router, what did you put for the domain name or is there a "host name" box in your router settings? Does the router support IPV6?

Is the 2008 server running Active Directory? If so, do you have the workstation's DNS entry pointing towards the DNS server on the 2008 server? Does the server have DHCP running? Or are you using the DHCP on the router exclusively?

I've actually always just used static IP's and a host file, in order to avoid such issues even while using a local server with DNS.

Hi guys, Thanks for your replies!

The router doesn't have any "domain" information.

My Win 2008 isn't configured as AD or DNS server - my primary DNS is provided by my ISP. Thats why I suspect the difference in the way the router stores info for the computers connected to it(mac adress vs mac + name).

I do have IPv6 enabled on the machine - maybe I should try to disable it on all machines - I do not belive the router to be IPv6 compatible (at least I can't type in longer IP adresses. )

// Lazze

Most likely there is a conflict in the Master Browser service between Win 2008 and the other machines. You should be able to check for master browsers using this info.

I'd get rid of the host file, strip the network back to two machines, verify that browsing works, then add one machine at a time, connecting with the machine off.

Thanks for all great help!

I my have nailed it down! I disabled IPv6 on all machines, and now it seems to work!

// Lazze

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!