What's new

Wifi to Ethernet access point to add to pair of AX7800 Xt9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billrouter

Occasional Visitor
What's a cheap way to provide a few ethernet ports from my wifi? I have two ax7800 xt9's at either end of a duplex apartment. I have a small music studio in a closet that's kind of in between the two routers. Most of my gear picks up wifi just fine. But there's a couple of rasberry Pi projects that don't.

So I'm thinking a cheap wifi to ethernet adapter would work better than the wifi dongles I've been struggling to get working.

I could get a third 7800 but that seems overkill. And it would be fine if it was just 2.4 band although if it was fast, I could relocate my SAN as well to the studio. It's noisy in the bedroom sometimes.

Thx!!

The cheapest Asus routers that support Media Bridge mode that Asus sells are the RT-AX53U and RT-AX57. No idea how good they are though.

Thx but those are full fledged routers. Isn't there a simpler option such as one of these?

Probably, although I would look to buy something from a recognised brand (e.g. tp-link). But you said:
What's a cheap way to provide a few ethernet ports from my wifi?
So that could get expensive once you've bought three or four of them.

Probably, although I would look to buy something from a recognised brand (e.g. tp-link). But you said:

So that could get expensive once you've bought three or four of them.
Thx - Ideally I just want one device with a couple of ethernet ports, although one would be fine.

If I have to get a router I might as well get another ASUS-XT9 for $239 and get the most compatibility.

Just seems overkill for a 1100 sq foot apartment. The problem is the layout: Two floors with a mezzanine space in between that's where my music studio is.

The two existing asus connect just fine. Wish I could run an ethernet from one of them to a hub, but I'd have to hire an electrician to do it cleanly.

Read the reviews about this BrosTrend device. If mostly positive - perhaps not a bad option if a single Ethernet port is enough. I have 2x BrosTrend USB Wi-Fi adapters (type on the picture below, AC1200) and they work well. No driver issues, no disconnections. This brand is around for quite some time and the products are mostly okay.

1705360666263.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!