What's new

Will these scripts from DD-WRT run on Merlin? + AC versus N backwards compatibility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBlindKind

New Around Here
Hi, I'm in themarket for an Asus router that I can put the Merlin-Wrt software on. It's my understanding that Asus' AC routers are not backwards compatible to G, which would be bad for my setup as I still have some G devices thatI must be able to connect to the network. Would this be possible with an AC device or should I opt for an N router like the RT-N66U?

Secondly, I have a Linksys E4200 with DD-WRT installed on it that I use to force a certain batch of IP addresses to use OpenDNS regardless of what DNS is used on the client device. Will this firewall script work on Merlin?:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.100/26 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.100/26 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

I also have this firewall script to make sure one particular device with a static IP will not be blocked by OpenDNS:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.195 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 209.244.0.3
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.195 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 209.244.0.3

Finally, I have the following startup commands to set the maximum number of ports allowed and the hash size to match to make better use of the router's ram:

echo "131072" > /sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize
nvram set ip_conntrack_max=131072

And how about interferance mitigation?

I would really like to use Merlin instead of DD-Wrt if I get the Asus router because of the much simpler flashing process and thus less risk of router bricking, as well as peace of mind of having software that is much more dedicated to the specific router. I realize this is a lot to read and I thank you all for your time. My name is Tony.

Hi, I'm in themarket for an Asus router that I can put the Merlin-Wrt software on. It's my understanding that Asus' AC routers are not backwards compatible to G, which would be bad for my setup as I still have some G devices thatI must be able to connect to the network. Would this be possible with an AC device or should I opt for an N router like the RT-N66U?

802.11g clients work fine with an AC router. My PS3 is only 802.11g, and last night I had no issue watching a rented movie over PSN.

Secondly, I have a Linksys E4200 with DD-WRT installed on it that I use to force a certain batch of IP addresses to use OpenDNS regardless of what DNS is used on the client device. Will this firewall script work on Merlin?:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.100/26 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.100/26 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

I also have this firewall script to make sure one particular device with a static IP will not be blocked by OpenDNS:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.195 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 209.244.0.3
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.1.195 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 209.244.0.3

All of this can be done over the webui using DNSFilter. No need for any manual firewall configuration.

Screenshot

Finally, I have the following startup commands to set the maximum number of ports allowed and the hash size to match to make better use of the router's ram:

echo "131072" > /sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize
nvram set ip_conntrack_max=131072

Max conntrack is adjustable over the webui. The other setting can easily be put into a custom script to run at boot time.

And how about interferance mitigation?

The Broadcom setting can be adjusted if needed, either through the nvram setting (I forgot its name) or by manually doing so using the userspace "wl" utility.

Thank you for your reply. I have a certain range of IPs set to be forced through the OpenDNS, but IP addresses outside that range won't be. The # 64 max client limit setting is equivalent to the mask of 192.168.1.100/26 I had in the manual script, right? That would be the IP address range of 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.161. Also, will I be able to then give a device an IP outside that range so that it isn't forced through OpenDNS?

Finally, is the hash size command the same on the Merlin-Wrt? I was planning to set the hash size much hire on the new router since it has much more ram.

I just answered my own question about filter exceptions on this router by reading the readme.Txt file. Sorry for wasting time about that. Thank you so much for your help, RMerlin.