What's new

Wireless Help for Home Theater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallen234

Occasional Visitor
In advance, please excuse the new guy, but, I am trying to find a temporary solution to improve my internet connection at the end of my wireless network. My main PC/Cable Modem/Router (Netgear N600) is located on the far side of the house from my home theater room. The home theater room is located about 150 to 200 feet away separated by a few walls. The home theater is in a subsequent "addition" that has a block wall on its inside wall (originally the outside wall of the house). Right now I have an Amped SR300 located in the theater with three devices hard wired to it (Xbox, Bluray, TV). I still get a lot of buffering using Netflix or YouTube etc. If I use a mobile speed test on the Amped SR300, I get about 3Mbps. Hopefully the hard wired is a bit faster. I have Cox internet and get consistently 30-38 Mbps on my desktop.

Hopefully, when the new "ac" routers are more prevalent and cost effective, I can buy two and be set with my home theater access. However, now I want a temporary fix that won't be too costly. I did try powerline, but got really bad numbers (probably because its an addition and a very old house). So, I assume I need an access point that has good "reception" and gigabit ports? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Use InSSIDer on a laptop (or an Android phone/tablet) and see what other wifi is active in your area. That will show you if your wifi channel is in use by somebody close by. Change your wifi channel to the one that appears to be used the least. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the best to use because the frequency ranges they occupy don't overlap. All other channels overlap with one of those three.

You should keep in mind that bridged wifi connections are typically slow. Wifi bridging is not part of the wifi standard and most access points aren't designed to handle it.

Do you have coax running to the theater?

Your best solution maybe to use Ethernet over powerline to bring a reliable and reasonably high speed data connections to your home theater location. If you want the cheapest and most reliable solution run an Ethernet cable from your router to the home theater location.

Which powerline adapters did you try? How were they connected? Did you try seeing if there were noise sources affecting throughput?

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to this, but life intervened shortly after my post.

I have Directv in my home theater, so I have coax, but my internet coax is through Cox, so I doubt they are connected to be able to use Moca.

I tried the Netgear powerline av 200 and ended up getting about 5mbps. The home theater is in the farthest room from my computer/router in an addition that was built in the 80's. The house was built in the early 70's and, from what I've been told, the wiring is pretty "crazy".

Running an ethernet cable would be problematic due to the construction of the addition. there is very little space in the attic where the addition meets home.

I wonder why there isn't a "wireless bridge" standard cause I imagine that there are a lot of people in my situation.

Do you have coax running to the theater?

Your best solution maybe to use Ethernet over powerline to bring a reliable and reasonably high speed data connections to your home theater location. If you want the cheapest and most reliable solution run an Ethernet cable from your router to the home theater location.

Which powerline adapters did you try? How were they connected? Did you try seeing if there were noise sources affecting throughput?

I've managed to get my full bandwidth (24mbps at the time) through a wireless bridge...I wouldn't worry about it...2 AC routers in the future might be where its at. In the mean time try a different power line product or try to get your bridge and router closer.

I think this is what I am going to do - try one of the new 500 Mbps adapters. I want to buy one with the a pass through plug, but that seems a little harder to find in the 500 MBbps flavor.

In the mean time try a different power line product or try to get your bridge and router closer.

In advance, please excuse the new guy, but, I am trying to find a temporary solution to improve my internet connection at the end of my wireless network. My main PC/Cable Modem/Router (Netgear N600) is located on the far side of the house from my home theater room. The home theater room is located about 150 to 200 feet away separated by a few walls. The home theater is in a subsequent "addition" that has a block wall on its inside wall (originally the outside wall of the house). Right now I have an Amped SR300 located in the theater with three devices hard wired to it (Xbox, Bluray, TV). I still get a lot of buffering using Netflix or YouTube etc. If I use a mobile speed test on the Amped SR300, I get about 3Mbps. Hopefully the hard wired is a bit faster. I have Cox internet and get consistently 30-38 Mbps on my desktop.

Might violate the Wife Approval Factor - 250ft of CAT6 ethernet is pretty damn cheap and works great as a temporary solution - CAT6 can carry GIGe at that length. It's available in a variety of colors - black blends in well, but I suggest bright yellow so the wife reminds you that it is time to either move the home theatre or find a more permanent solution.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
For those interested, I did install a Trendnet 500 Mbps powerline system. I was able to get anything ranging from 9 mbps to 90 mbps. I was able to get slightly better performance on Xbox apps (Netflix, Amazon), but still had a few issues. I finally spoke to an electrician I knew who said he could run Cat 5e and install jacks for $250-$300. That is a no brainer. I think I am in my return period for the Powerline, so that will "save" $100.

Now, I have to decide whether I want to set up a NAS and start streaming blu rays etc. Thanks for the help.

I think this is what I am going to do - try one of the new 500 Mbps adapters. I want to buy one with the a pass through plug, but that seems a little harder to find in the 500 MBbps flavor.

You could do the work yourself not that hard to terminate the Ethernet cable ends. You can buy CAT5e or CAT6 on a roll and then get the tools and ends. For about $20 bucks you can get the drill bit (over 1ft long) to cut the holes in your drywall and cement blocks too with a power drill. Still won't be that expensive like that electric guy quoted you. Your paying for his huge per hour rate!