What's new

Wireless N PCI -Windows 7, 64 Bit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aaronuws

New Around Here
Hello, Please excuse my ignorance, but I guess thats why I am here. I have a desktop running 64 bit Windows 7 (64 bit) Ultimate. I have an Intel MoBo DP35DP (with updated BIOS), and installed the D-Link (DWA-522) Xtreme N PCI Adapter, which connects to my Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem Gateway SBG6580.

This computer is used as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for recording like at a music studio. Whenever I have any audio playing (Youtube, my recordings, or even if playing a movie, I get a popping/clicking sounds unless I disable my Wireless Network. As far as surfing, its great! Super-fast for wireless compared to my old set up with Linksys.

I (somewhat) did my research before buying everything at once, but when it came down to the PCI Adapter I was unsure as there are so many, and its hard to narrow down by their specs on-line , so I let the people at Fry's pick out one after the knew what I had, so they advised me to get the D-Link DWA-552.
After struggling with it, uninstalling/reinstalling (from D-links website), I realized it stated 32-Bit PCI Slot Interface so I switched the default location for install from C/ Program File (86x) to C/Program Files ...for 32 bit. The problem still persists.

...So, any advise on a Wireless N PCI Adapter that is Windows 7 64-bit compatible with WPA2-PSK (Docsis 3.0)?

I am sorry if I gave too much info, or not enough. I am somewhat ignorant on these things as I stated before. Thank you in advance on any suggestions!

My guess is you're either sharing an interrupt between your network and sound card or it's a PCI latency issue.

The first is solved by moving the card to a slot that doesn't share an interrupt.

The second could be solved by using PCI Latency Tools. This assumes you are using PCI rather than PCIe (a.k.a PCI Express, doesn't use latency timers). A copy of the program can be found here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

Good luck!

I am sorry if I gave too much info, or not enough. I am somewhat ignorant on these things as I stated before. Thank you in advance on any suggestions!
Your WiFi RF is entering the audio cables. My suggestion:
(assuming you've already tried to reposition audio cables to not be near WiFi antennas)

Remove PCI WiFi card. Its antennas are simply too close to audio wiring.

Purchase a WiFi bridge product (also called game adapter). This is a box independent of the computer. Follow instructions for the product to configure it for your WiFi SSID and security mode/key.
Place the bridge some 20 ft. or more from the computer and not near any audio cables.
Run a cat5 ethernet cable between the bridge and the ethernet LAN port of your PC. Enable that on your PC, if not already done.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!