What's new

Write Journaling - CPU or HDD limited?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgrobins

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Is Data Journaling tanking my write speeds likely to be due to CPU or HDD performance?

In attempting to isolate why my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 has poor write speeds (was getting 37MB/s using an SSD as a source over GB LAN) I disabled the "Full data Journaling" Option under the performance tab.

I am now getting ~80MB/s ... an increase of 100%.

The ultra 6 uses a 1.66GHz Dual Core atom processor and I am using Samsung F4 Spinpoint drives (4x 2TB) in an X-Raid2 arrangement.

Source file is on an SSD in my desktop connected by 1GB duplex connection.

My question: Is this speed change because of the CPU, HDD's or chipset?

I ask because I'd prefer to have journaling on and am about to get another NAS. If it's CPU related I'll be sure to get one with more grunt .

I do have a monitored UPS so it's not the end of the world turning it off but I like to be safe :)
Cheers,

I don’t know anything about the Ready NAS Ultra 6 devices but in general if you are journaling you are increasing the data being written. The best solution for journaling is a separate controller and hard drive away from the main controller and hard drives so as not to slow the main data flow.

Thanks. Good theory but not something I can do with this NAS :).

Certainly food for thought for follow on purchase though.

I'm not sure what file system X-Raid 2 is based on. It's using full write (write-back?) journaling though.

What file systems have logical journaling? might be a better choice given the overhead on low power CPU models. Then to see what off the shelf NAS actually support them!

ReadyNAS OS6 uses a new one (Btrfx?) that isn't Ext based so I don't know much about it.

I've read other threads, here IIRC, about Netgear adopting that file system before it was proven/mature - leading to problems.
You can Google/search and find folks in the Linux world (not NASes) having issues with it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!