What's new

Xbox360 wireless connection problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post an update.

I have tested my Xbox 360 by streaming HD videos and I do notice some lag/buffering issues when connected to the RT-N66U. This may take some work as to actually finding a fix, but I need some help from you guys.

Besides the aforementioned tomato firmware, is there any way to monitor the actual speeds you are getting while you stream? The best I have done is just choose HD videos over SD.

Any update on this sir?

Any update on this sir?

Sorry, I checked the thread and didn't realize it went to a third page :eek:

We have confirmed that there is an issue and HQ is looking for a way to fix it. Please let me know if there are any other configurations that don't work or if there are any changes that improve your performance.

Sorry, I checked the thread and didn't realize it went to a third page :eek:

We have confirmed that there is an issue and HQ is looking for a way to fix it. Please let me know if there are any other configurations that don't work or if there are any changes that improve your performance.

I have tried to bypass/workaround this issue by setting up the router as a access point connected to my WRT54G but that didn't help. As soon as the xbox connects through the Asus router, connectivity goes down the drain.

I hopefull that Asus will fix this. I purchase almost exclusively Asus because of their reliability.

I have tried to bypass/workaround this issue by setting up the router as a access point connected to my WRT54G but that didn't help. As soon as the xbox connects through the Asus router, connectivity goes down the drain.

I hopefull that Asus will fix this. I purchase almost exclusively Asus because of their reliability.

The way I did mine was setup my WRT54G in client mode and connected the xbox ethernet cable to it. I then used my WRT54G in client mode to connect over wireless to the N66U. Basically just using my WRT54G as a wireless network card for my xbox. You're stuck at wireless G speeds, but I can stream HD Video from 3 rooms away just fine.

HD video is limited to 720p video though. If I stream 1080p I start having video problems. Probably from the wireless G bandwidth limitations.

I'm sure they'll eventually fix it as long as it's a problem on their end. But I think it will be much later on as we seem to be a small group.

There are a number of great options for wireless bridges and APs that are fully compatible with the RT-N66U and compared to using the regular internal wireless capabilities of media and gaming devices they significantly improve wireless throughput performance often with wired type of speed and reliability. I don't have an XBox 360 but I do have a PS3 that I use for online gaming and HD video streaming. I am currently using a Trendnet TEW-680MB 450Mbps Dual Band three stream 2.4/5Ghz wireless N HD media bridge with four Gigabit Ethernet ports for additional devices and connected to the RT-N66U with the latest official Asus 4.220 firmware it is working perfectly at a good distance from the router with absolutely no noticeable lag or buffering in 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz modes (can be found online for $70 USD). I can only vouch for the performance of the TEW-680MB since that is what I own but other similar options include the less expensive TEW-640MB 2.4Ghz wireless N media bridge with four Ethernet ports ($49 USD), TEW-647GA 2.4Ghz single Ethernet port wireless N gaming adapter ($35 USD) and the Asus EA-N66 N900 2.4/5Ghz Dual band three stream 450Mbps wireless AP, repeater, single Gigabit Ethernet port adapter ($89 USD).

Last edited:
I have the same problem!
My Xbox 360 slim in wireless work perfectly on my old router D-link DIR-825 (i have speed 4-5 Mbyte/s). When I connect my x360 slim to new router ASUS RT-N66U I got the speed no more than 500kbyte/seс :( With his really overload network that all devices do not work on normal speed. When xbox disconnect on the wireless network, my smartphone with support N standart work perfectly - 2Mbyte/sec.
Last official firmware 3.0.0.4.246, changing channel, encryption type - nothing works. Please Fix it it. I waiting...

Fix the problem or I'm returning my router

To ASUS: This is crazy. I too have an XBOX360 Slim. I just bought a brand new rt-ac66u and I get useless bandwidth with my XBOX. My vintage LinkSys WRT150N works flawlessly with the XBOX.

This is interesting. I also have an xbox 360 slim with no wifi issues using the N66U. I am using Merlin's latest firmware with no issues. I only have altered very basic stuff on my router, but I am getting great speeds and full bars even though the router is upstairs and the xbox is in the basement. I am not using the 802.11 n dongle either. Just the standard 2.4 ghz 802.11g. I am still shocked that the slim wasn't released with 802.11n technology personally.

This is interesting. I also have an xbox 360 slim with no wifi issues using the N66U. I am using Merlin's latest firmware with no issues. I only have altered very basic stuff on my router, but I am getting great speeds and full bars even though the router is upstairs and the xbox is in the basement. I am not using the 802.11 n dongle either. Just the standard 2.4 ghz 802.11g. I am still shocked that the slim wasn't released with 802.11n technology personally.

The slim does have 802.11n capabilities. Only on the 2.4 ghz band though. I don't remember if I ever actually tested it with wireless g only mode. But I'm not going to make any effort to try it considering it's useless like that to me since it will default all my N devices to wireless g speeds.

Just out of curiosity, which version of merlins firmware are you using? I never tested it with the firmware that has the updated wireless driver since everyone complained about the stability issues of it. But I have tested it with every one of his other firmware.

I am always updating to Merlins latest firmware, was the 246 and now the 260. Stealth mode is awesome since the router sits in the open in my living room.

I have this issue as well, for both my xboxes (slim).
Any updates?

Nothing as far as I know. There was a wireless driver update a couple of stock firmware builds ago. But people complained about stability issues with it so I never tried it. Nothing's been posted from Asus that I've seen. I've kept up with this issue pretty well since I could free up 2 routers acting as a wireless network adapter for my Xbox.

I'm hoping we hear something soon since this was reported months ago. But I'm not holding my breath. Jeremy confirmed there was an issue but I'm not sure if I recall him mentioning it being an Asus issue. I have 11 different wireless devices in my home and the slim is the only wireless issue I have. But the slim works fine with my other 2 routers.

I also submitted a support request to Microsoft about it but they just gave me the generic suggestion list and I left it at that. Big waste of time talking to them.

I have 11 different wireless devices in my home and the slim is the only wireless issue I have. But the slim works fine with my other 2 routers.
About the same situation as for me then. I'll try install Merlins latest firmware tonight, as I understand it has different (older) drivers for the radio. I'll keep you posted.

About the same situation as for me then. I'll try install Merlins latest firmware tonight, as I understand it has different (older) drivers for the radio. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry I should have mentioned which wireless driver update I was referring to. There's been 2 as far as I know. The one I'm referring came in build 3.0.0.4.246. Which apparently had stability issues and Merlin reverted all his builds to the previous driver which is what I'm currently using.

I never tested the wireless driver in 246 because it had already been reverted to the previous driver by the time I downloaded it.

Well, here's my results when changing from firmware 3.0.0.4.260 to Merlin 3.0.0.4_260.21, by first trying to download a demo to the xbox slim, and then trying to stream from PC to xbox while looking at the routers traffic monitor for the 2.4GHz band, . My PC runs on 5GHz so that would not affect, all all my other equipment was powered off:

When I started I got about 200KB/s. I then restarted the router but it only got slightly better, about 225KB/s. After updating to Merlin it was just half as bad, about 500MB/s.

So though it still s**ks, Merlin fw was much better...

Well, here's my results when changing from firmware 3.0.0.4.260 to Merlin 3.0.0.4_260.21, by first trying to download a demo to the xbox slim, and then trying to stream from PC to xbox while looking at the routers traffic monitor for the 2.4GHz band, . My PC runs on 5GHz so that would not affect, all all my other equipment was powered off:

When I started I got about 200KB/s. I then restarted the router but it only got slightly better, about 225KB/s. After updating to Merlin it was just half as bad, about 500MB/s.

So though it still s**ks, Merlin fw was much better...

Try disabling Enhanced Interference Management under Wireless -> Professional on the router, then reboot the router. See if that helps - some people have better results with it enabled, for others it works best when disabled.

Try disabling Enhanced Interference Management under Wireless -> Professional on the router, then reboot the router. See if that helps - some people have better results with it enabled, for others it works best when disabled.
Thanks, but it made no difference for me.

Positive Reviews say nothing about this...

I have two xbox slims, same issue with slow connectivity.

was previously using what my ISP rented but was looking for better coverage and multiple USB ports. Just my luck that the router doesn't play nice with my xbxs. They were primarily being used as media centre extenders and now cant even handle streaming SD content.

all other clients work fine, including a desktop, two laptops, two smartphones and a playbook. will not be investing in an access point to fix this issue, and hope my faith in ASUS is not misplaced.

How do we best consolidate our efforts and force ASUS to address this issue?

Perhaps reach out to major publications to update their glowing reviews with this glaring problem? Perhaps they need to test compatibility with popular clients as part of the benchmark now too.