What's new

XT9 mesh issues - strong wifi signal but no data transfer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Losimagic

Occasional Visitor
Recently set up a 2 pack of the XT9 units.
Setup is as follows - UK Openreach fibre ONT (500mbps), connected to the main XT9, then the 2nd XT9 node is placed downstairs, connected via wireless backhaul - wired isn't possible, other than very slow (50Mbps) powerline network. Coax connection also isn't possible.

The wifi channels are split and my settings are here:
2.4ghz
5ghz
5ghz backhaul

The issue:
After a period of time, it appears that whilst the node is broadcasting a strong wifi signal in both frequencies and devices can connect (and they see that they are connected), no data is transferred. For example, opening the Youtube app on an ipad just leads to the app attempting to connect for a while, until giving up.
I've tried multiple devices from different brands and nothing will transfer data until the entire system is rebooted.

Can anyone help with what might be causing this? Is there a solution? Perhaps it's one of the settings in the Wifi section that I'm missing?

(I must admit, I don't understand what a lot of the settings are, such as "agile multiband")

Many thanks

Though I upgraded from a pair of XT8's to XT12's here are the settings i use for Backhaul across the 3 Homes I manage (2 homes have a pair of XT8's), though I am in the USA so channel 177 might not be an option for you.

1686761380256.png

Also if you go to System Logs, and then go to wireless log and scroll all the way down to the bottom, what is your Rx/Tx & RSSi and Streams?

Though I upgraded from a pair of XT8's to XT12's here are the settings i use for Backhaul across the 3 Homes I manage (2 homes have a pair of XT8's), though I am in the USA so channel 177 might not be an option for you.

View attachment 50967

Also if you go to System Logs, and then go to wireless log and scroll all the way down to the bottom, what is your Rx/Tx & RSSi and Streams?
Thanks a lot for the reply, and settings suggestion - I'll try changing my bandwidth to 160 and see if that helps. You're right, 177 isn't available to me, but I'll experiment with some of the others.

The system just rebooted itself in the night (wasn't planned, so perhaps it crashed?) which is another annoyance, as a few devices haven't reconnected and need to be power cycled.

Looking at the wireless log, the details are:
RSSI = -58dBm
Rx & TX = 1441.2M
PHY = AX
PSM = NO
SGI = YES
STBC = YES
MUBF = YES
NSS = 4
BW = 80M

I don't see one titled "Streams"

Thanks again!

edit: I had previously rolled the Nodes firmware back to 21069 but after the nights reboot (?) I've now done the same to the main router.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply, and settings suggestion - I'll try changing my bandwidth to 160 and see if that helps. You're right, 177 isn't available to me, but I'll experiment with some of the others.

The system just rebooted itself in the night (wasn't planned, so perhaps it crashed?) which is another annoyance, as a few devices haven't reconnected and need to be power cycled.

Looking at the wireless log, the details are:
RSSI = -58dBm
Rx & TX = 1441.2M
PHY = AX
PSM = NO
SGI = YES
STBC = YES
MUBF = YES
NSS = 4
BW = 80M

I don't see one titled "Streams"

Thanks again!

edit: I had previously rolled the Nodes firmware back to 21069 but after the nights reboot (?) I've now done the same to the main router.
I'm running Merlin so it probably wont tell you streams or might have it labeled differently, but looking at your information, I can tell you that being connected at 80 does limit the overall connection speed and your rx&tx is 1441Mbps indicates the max theoretical throughput for any device connected to the node over wifi will be roughly half of that and alot of times probably less than half.

Taking a deeper dive into your 2.4 and 5ghz_1 i'd consider doing a channel scan via your cellphone to determine what is the best channels available at your location and then manually changing over to those channels and then conduct further tests to see. Also if certain devices are closer to the node, maybe condsider binding them so the don't jump from node to node due to which has a stronger or weaker signal strength.

I'm running Merlin so it probably wont tell you streams or might have it labeled differently, but looking at your information, I can tell you that being connected at 80 does limit the overall connection speed and your rx&tx is 1441Mbps indicates the max theoretical throughput for any device connected to the node over wifi will be roughly half of that and alot of times probably less than half.

Taking a deeper dive into your 2.4 and 5ghz_1 i'd consider doing a channel scan via your cellphone to determine what is the best channels available at your location and then manually changing over to those channels and then conduct further tests to see. Also if certain devices are closer to the node, maybe condsider binding them so the don't jump from node to node due to which has a stronger or weaker signal strength.

Thank you, that's really helpful!

I wish I knew why the signal between the two units was so weak - they're not far apart, probably 20, maybe 30 feet max, with just 1 internal wall (Router in a walled off study upstairs, node outside that room, downstairs in an open plan hallway). I can only assume there are too many copper pipes/cables in the wall that are interfering!

These are my channels: Kingsport_2G & Kingsport_5G are the XT9 system. BarbarasStudy is another AP, connected via powerline at the other end of the house. Other signals are outside my control.
2.4Ghz
2.4 alternative app
5Ghz
5 alternative app

Looks like there could be some interference going on, but as the problem doesn't occur for a while, I hadn't considered changing it. Could the overlap be an issue?

on the 5ghz band, 52 has been auto selected - I can manually pick 36/40/44/48/52/56/60/64
and on 2.4ghz, 1 is auto selected - I can manually pick 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13

As for binding devices to certain nodes, I think I can only do that if 'Smart Connect' is enabled? (which combines both frequencies into a single ssid) I can't see the option to do this anywhere.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sorry for being so clueless/naive to it all!

Thank you, that's really helpful!

I wish I knew why the signal between the two units was so weak - they're not far apart, probably 20, maybe 30 feet max, with just 1 internal wall (Router in a walled off study upstairs, node outside that room, downstairs in an open plan hallway). I can only assume there are too many copper pipes/cables in the wall that are interfering!

These are my channels: Kingsport_2G & Kingsport_5G are the XT9 system. BarbarasStudy is another AP, connected via powerline at the other end of the house. Other signals are outside my control.
2.4Ghz
2.4 alternative app
5Ghz
5 alternative app

Looks like there could be some interference going on, but as the problem doesn't occur for a while, I hadn't considered changing it. Could the overlap be an issue?

on the 5ghz band, 52 has been auto selected - I can manually pick 36/40/44/48/52/56/60/64
and on 2.4ghz, 1 is auto selected - I can manually pick 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13

As for binding devices to certain nodes, I think I can only do that if 'Smart Connect' is enabled? (which combines both frequencies into a single ssid) I can't see the option to do this anywhere.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sorry for being so clueless/naive to it all!
Not clueless or Naive and looks like you have no overlapping channels which is great, not a lot of people on the same channel which is great! As for binding, it can be done from the aimesh screen or from the mobile app if you are using it, there is a little chain link icon for binding.

Not clueless or Naive and looks like you have no overlapping channels which is great, not a lot of people on the same channel which is great! As for binding, it can be done from the aimesh screen or from the mobile app if you are using it, there is a little chain link icon for binding.
Apologies for the slow reply.

More luck than judgement that nothing is overlapping, haha!

The app/web interface both have more layers and pages than I think I'll ever find! That was very well hidden, so thank you again, I'd never have even thought to look there!

It's been just over 3 days since I last reset the router, and whilst I don't want to speak too soon, touch wood, everything appears to be ok, for now - hopefully it stays this way for a few more days (I'd be ok with only needing a reboot once a week)

As the issue seems/seemed to only be present after a period of time, does that suggest that it's a hardware/software bug, or perhaps a memory problem?

Thanks again for your help and information, it's really appreciated

Which firmware version do you have? If on the latest version, did you have problems before the update? if not then maybe a full factory and memory reset would/could help.

Which firmware version do you have? If on the latest version, did you have problems before the update? if not then maybe a full factory and memory reset would/could help.
I'm not really sure if the issue was present before a firmware update to the latest version as I've only had the XT9 for just under 3 weeks - during the first 7-10 days, I rebooted/optimised it a few times as I changed settings. It was only after I'd left it alone for a day or so that I started to notice the problem. I Googled around and found a few threads (on reddit and here) suggesting that recent firmware updates had introduced some backhaul issues, so I reverted the node to the recommended, most stable release, 388.21069, and with another dropout, I rolled the main router back to 388.21069 as well.

That was on Monday, before asking for help here.

I'll have to monitor it for a little while and keep my fingers crossed that doing that, along with advice from you, has helped

I'm not really sure if the issue was present before a firmware update to the latest version as I've only had the XT9 for just under 3 weeks - during the first 7-10 days, I rebooted/optimised it a few times as I changed settings. It was only after I'd left it alone for a day or so that I started to notice the problem. I Googled around and found a few threads (on reddit and here) suggesting that recent firmware updates had introduced some backhaul issues, so I reverted the node to the recommended, most stable release, 388.21069, and with another dropout, I rolled the main router back to 388.21069 as well.

That was on Monday, before asking for help here.

I'll have to monitor it for a little while and keep my fingers crossed that doing that, along with advice from you, has helped
I did experience the Backhaul issue where it kept dropping down to the 2ghz on my XT8, but after a couple of full resets and memory resets it came back strong and then being in america, when the UNII-4 opened up it allowed me to use a non DFS 160mhz band which has locked in the 3 sets of zenwifi's that I have spread across 3 homes to a constant 5ghz_2 160mhz backhaul with no more radar/dfs knockouts :)

In due time hopefully your issue will get resolved, I'll try to help out or give advice if/when time permits on my end

I did experience the Backhaul issue where it kept dropping down to the 2ghz on my XT8, but after a couple of full resets and memory resets it came back strong and then being in america, when the UNII-4 opened up it allowed me to use a non DFS 160mhz band which has locked in the 3 sets of zenwifi's that I have spread across 3 homes to a constant 5ghz_2 160mhz backhaul with no more radar/dfs knockouts :)

In due time hopefully your issue will get resolved, I'll try to help out or give advice if/when time permits on my end
Thank you, I really appreciate it

I may have spoken too soon with regards to the XT9s stability - it crashed/rebooted itself overnight, (just checked whilst typing up this reply, and it did it again a couple of hours ago!), and a few devices have failed to reconnect🤦‍♂️
Obviously no logs to suggest a cause

Getting close to my max return date with Amazon now, so I'm seriously considering returning it, and then working out what to replace it with, which will be a tricky decision -stick with Asus as I have been for a while, or look around at something else, such as Netgear?

Future firmware updates may improve it, but it's a pricey bit of kit to keep hold of, in the hope that it may get better

Yep, seems like that's my only option left. How annoying!

Thanks for the link - is that different to doing a factory default restore (including initializing settings/clearing logs etc) through the router web interface?
Good Question/point, I'd start with the software factory default restore and initialization, if that fails/problems persists then try the WPS option pending how many days you have left in your return window.

Good Question/point, I'd start with the software factory default restore and initialization, if that fails/problems persists then try the WPS option pending how many days you have left in your return window.
I'm probably better off just 'going nuclear' and doing the WPS method straight away, and then testing!

Recently set up a 2 pack of the XT9 units.
Setup is as follows - UK Openreach fibre ONT (500mbps), connected to the main XT9, then the 2nd XT9 node is placed downstairs, connected via wireless backhaul - wired isn't possible, other than very slow (50Mbps) powerline network. Coax connection also isn't possible.

The wifi channels are split and my settings are here:
2.4ghz
5ghz
5ghz backhaul

The issue:
After a period of time, it appears that whilst the node is broadcasting a strong wifi signal in both frequencies and devices can connect (and they see that they are connected), no data is transferred. For example, opening the Youtube app on an ipad just leads to the app attempting to connect for a while, until giving up.
I've tried multiple devices from different brands and nothing will transfer data until the entire system is rebooted.

Can anyone help with what might be causing this? Is there a solution? Perhaps it's one of the settings in the Wifi section that I'm missing?

(I must admit, I don't understand what a lot of the settings are, such as "agile multiband")

Many thanks
I'm no networking expert but they work better when they are at the same level. The antenna broadcast radiates in a donut or oval shape. If they are on differrent floors it wont perfom as well as on the same floor. Do you have coaxial cabling in your home? Coisider a wired backhaul using MoCA adapters?

I took the nuclear option and reset all my nodes and rebuilt on the latest firmware. Stayed up ok just over a week and the started dropping the backhaul/nodes going to constant flashing blue. Really sick of these things now. Node drops at least a dozen times a day and needs powering off/on.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!