What's new

YazFi YazFi v4.x - continued

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm experiencing the same with 4.4.4, as I also was with 4.4.3. However it's only for the first minutes after a reboot - leave it alone for ~10 minutes and IPs are showing fine.

IP’s have always been OK for me - hostnames not so much!

Still showing as UNKNOWN currently.

Haven't bumped up to the 4.4.4 version Jack just pushed out yesterday I'd assume one could deal with the "unknown" hostname issue by manually assigning IP addresses to the YazFi clients (if one isn't already doing so). Normally I never see "unknown" for my manual IP YazFi clients and if I do its only for a few seconds post messing with YazFi and the system (dnsmasq and other services) settles down.

YazFi - A Note on DHCP Reservations

I had devices in YazFi showing hostname as UNKNOWN.

Updated to 4.4.4 via CLI - GUI still said I had 4.4.3 installed.

Updated to 4.4.4 (again) in the GUI and now shows as 4.4.4 installed

However, devices still show as UNKNOWN hostname after updating and rebooting the Router.

Thoughts?

IP’s have always been OK for me - hostnames not so much!

Still showing as UNKNOWN currently.
The latest YazFi 4.4.4 release fixes the issue reported on this thread by the OP. Based on your brief description, your YazFi scenario appears to be different (with a similar symptom where some hostnames are shown as "UNKNOWN") so there's likely a different root cause.

My suggestion would be to read the following post from the thread mentioned above:

Follow the instructions to gather the requested files & diagnostics information along with clear screenshots and any other info that may be pertinent WRT to the affected client devices:

- Do they have static IP addresses?
- Do they have DHCP IP address reservations? If so, how are those assigned?
- Is the problem observed only on the 2.4GHz, or only on the 5GHz, or on both Guest networks?
- Any other context we should know about (e.g. AIMesh nodes, Pi-Hole as DNS server, etc.)?

Once you provide the requested diagnostics files/data/context, I can take a look.

The latest YazFi 4.4.4 release fixes the issue reported on this thread by the OP. Based on your brief description, your YazFi scenario appears to be different (with a similar symptom where some hostnames are shown as "UNKNOWN") so there's likely a different root cause.

My suggestion would be to read the following post from the thread mentioned above:

Follow the instructions to gather the requested files & diagnostics information along with clear screenshots and any other info that may be pertinent WRT to the affected client devices:

- Do they have static IP addresses?
- Do they have DHCP IP address reservations? If so, how are those assigned?
- Is the problem observed only on the 2.4GHz, or only on the 5GHz, or on both Guest networks?
- Any other context we should know about (e.g. AIMesh nodes, Pi-Hole as DNS server, etc.)?

Once you provide the requested diagnostics files/data/context, I can take a look.

I’m actually looking to set static IP addresses for devices I have on YazFi (they’re IoT devices) so is it worth troubleshooting or just following the instructions here to set the static IP’s then set static hostnames?

Will that resolve the UNKOWN issue if I manually set a hostname?

I’m actually looking to set static IP addresses for devices I have on YazFi (they’re IoT devices) so is it worth troubleshooting or just following the instructions here to set the static IP’s then set static hostnames?

Since at this point I don’t know what’s causing the problem in your specific network setup/environment, I cannot tell you with any kind of certainty what steps will resolve the issue. All I can say is that it may or may not work, but you can certainly try it and see what happens before troubleshooting the problem if it persists.

P.S.
For your benefit and that of other readers who may find the following note useful, I’d like to briefly clarify a couple of technical terms or concepts to avoid confusion or misunderstanding so that we can all "speak the same language" and understand each other better in future posts.

NOTE:
In general terms, there are 2 types of "manually assigned" client IP addresses:

1) A "Static IP Address" is one that is configured on the network client itself, usually via some kind of GUI application where you manually set the unique IP address that you want the device to have every time it joins a specific network.

2) A "DHCP IP Address Reservation" is one that is assigned on the network router, usually via its webGUI (i.e. "LAN - DHCP Server" webpage), or through other alternative means (e.g. dnsmasq.postconf, dnsmasq.conf.add) where you manually set the unique IP address that you want the device to get every time it joins a specific network.

My personal preference is to configure IP address reservations on the router for several reasons, but primarily because it’s a readily accessible, central point for configuration, and it can be very versatile, especially with the enhanced facilities available in the RMerlin's F/W. For example, you can set specific IP address reservations for laptops & smartphones for when they join the Main WLAN, and another set of IP address reservations for when they join the Guest Networks (2.4GHz or 5GHz Guest Net #1, #2, or #3). You can do all that without ever touching the network configuration of the wireless clients.

HTH.

Since at this point I don’t know what’s causing the problem in your specific network setup/environment, I cannot tell you with any kind of certainty what steps will resolve the issue. All I can say is that it may or may not work, but you can certainly try it and see what happens before troubleshooting the problem if it persists.

P.S.
For your benefit and that of other readers who may find the following note useful, I’d like to briefly clarify a couple of technical terms or concepts to avoid confusion or misunderstanding so that we can all "speak the same language" and understand each other better in future posts.

NOTE:
In general terms, there are 2 types of "manually assigned" client IP addresses:

1) A "Static IP Address" is one that is configured on the network client itself, usually via some kind of GUI application where you manually set the unique IP address that you want the device to have every time it joins a specific network.

2) A "DHCP IP Address Reservation" is one that is assigned on the network router, usually via its webGUI (i.e. "LAN - DHCP Server" webpage), or through other alternative means (e.g. dnsmasq.postconf, dnsmasq.conf.add) where you manually set the unique IP address that you want the device to get every time it joins a specific network.

My personal preference is to configure IP address reservations on the router for several reasons, but primarily because it’s a readily accessible, central point for configuration, and it can be very versatile, especially with the enhanced facilities available in the RMerlin's F/W. For example, you can set specific IP address reservations for laptops & smartphones for when they join the Main WLAN, and another set of IP address reservations for when they join the Guest Networks (2.4GHz or 5GHz Guest Net #1, #2, or #3). You can do all that without ever touching the network configuration of the wireless clients.

HTH.
Thanks for the break down. I agree, people often use terminology interchangeably even when it is not interchangeable, which often leads to misinterpretation. I hope you are doing well @Martinski .

After reviewing the YazFi code, I found & fixed a bug that under some conditions would cause the "Hostname" of some clients to be shown as "UNKNOWN" on the webGUI even when the IP address was correct.

If you want to try and see if this fix addresses the problem you're seeing on your router, the new updated script (version 4.4.5, develop branch) is available from GitHub:
Bash:
curl -kLSs --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --retry-connrefused  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Martinski4GitHub/YazFi/develop/YazFi.sh  -o /jffs/scripts/YazFi  && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/YazFi

I have submitted a PR for @Jack Yaz to merge into his GitHub repository.

EDIT:
@Jack Yaz has merged the PR containing the fix into his 'develop' branch. If you want to switch from master "4.4.4" release to the develop "4.4.5" version use the following commands:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts/YazFi develop
/jffs/scripts/YazFi forceupdate

Last edited:
I apologize for the noob question as I don't know much about scripts and stuff like this...but when I add that command to ssh for static IPs.. it looks different than the original post and I am not sure if to add the static IP info above or below that first line?

View attachment 54896

I added this but the static IP doesn't seem to be sticking...

#!/bin/sh

cat /jffs/addons/YazFi.d/.dnsmasq >> /etc/dnsmasq.conf # YazFi
pc_append "dhcp-host=5C:E9:31:9A:3B:10,192.168.4.125,Tiny" $CONFIG
pc_append "dhcp-host=5C:E9:31:4K:32:B0,192.168.4.126,Garage" $CONFIG
pc_append "dhcp-host=A0:92:08F:C3:92,192.168.4.127,Shed" $CONFIG
pc_append "dhcp-host=5C:E9:31:F3:EC:66,192.168.4.128,OhShed" $CONFIG
pc_append "dhcp-host=F0:A7:31:72:FB:44,192.168.4.129,OhShed2" $CONFIG

#!/bin/sh

Hi fotingo. Looking at that I'd swap the host name and IP around.

#!/bin/sh

Your script seems to be missing some critical code. Make sure the following lines are found right after the 1st line ("#!/bin/sh")
Code:
CONFIG="$1"
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

Also, double-check that the file is executable:
Bash:
chmod a+x /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf

HTH.

#!/bin/sh

Try the following for your /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

Then using SSH, change the permissions on the dnsmasq.postconf file. Failure to appropriately change the file permission will result in the Dnsmasq.conf file not being updated with the YazFi Guest manual IP reservation information.
Code:
chmod +xxx /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
Then reboot the router and see if the YazFi clients obtain the proper manual IP address.
After reboot you can use SSH to issue the following command to see if the Dnsmasq.conf file was updated with the YazFi manual IP reservations.
Code:
cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
In certain cases you may also have to power cycle your YazFi Client(s) to force them to reconnect and obtain the new manual IP reservation.

I was following the post I saw here...https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yazfi-enhanced-asuswrt-merlin-guest-wifi-inc-ssid-vpn-client.45924/page-32#post-473403 which showed this....

1702828772861.png

but when I used this this command "nano /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf", it opened this way which looks different than the post I saw on that post...
Why would my nano look different than above? - I notice it's missing

"CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh"

1702828711443.png

It is now working and IPs are being assigned correctly. One lingering issue I see is.. on the wireless cameras, I can no longer view them on my phone while connected to the main wifi Network unless I give them internet access. Before I started using Yazfi, I was able to disable internet access via the router and still view them on the app with no issues.

I have tried "one way to Guest and two way to Guest, but I still can't view them unless I give them internet access. Anything I can do to be able to view them on my phone while I am connected to the main Network?

I was following the post I saw here
Yes that is my post showing the steps I used for creating manual IP reservations for YazFi Guest WiFi clients.

Why would my nano look different than above?
It looks different because you are adding new code to that file that will create the manual IP reservations.

It is now working and IPs are being assigned correctly. One lingering issue I see is.. on the wireless cameras, I can no longer view them on my phone while connected to the main wifi Network unless I give them internet access. Before I started using Yazfi, I was able to disable internet access via the router and still view them on the app with no issues.

I have tried "one way to Guest and two way to Guest, but I still can't view them unless I give them internet access. Anything I can do to be able to view them on my phone while I am connected to the main Network?
You may need to use YazFi Custom Firewall Rules to allow LAN clients to access YazFi Guest Client's or a specific YazFi Guest Client or specific LAN client.
See my post at the following link for some examples of those rules:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/allowing-access-to-selected-network-devices.80405/#post-784521
And use the forum search to search for other examples of YazFi custom scripting, there are a few other posts where people asked about opening up a connection between LAN and YazFi clients.

It appears they may be a potential bug with the YazFi Allow Internet Access option when it is set to OFF. It appears the Two Way to Guest and Custom Scripts don't work properly when Allow Internet Access is set to Off. YazFi client cannot access main LAN in that state. Some quick and dirty testing results and discussion at the following link/thread discussion:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/allowing-access-to-selected-network-devices.80405/post-881208
Not sure if this is a YazFi script issue or just expected behavior with the Asus firmware and blocking internet access to Guest Networks (and their clients) but allowing intranet access at the same time.

It appears they may be a potential bug with the YazFi Allow Internet Access option when it is set to OFF. It appears the Two Way to Guest and Custom Scripts don't work properly when Allow Internet Access is set to Off. YazFi client cannot access main LAN in that state. Some quick and dirty testing results and discussion at the following link/thread discussion:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/allowing-access-to-selected-network-devices.80405/post-881208
Not sure if this is a YazFi script issue or just expected behavior with the Asus firmware and blocking internet access to Guest Networks (and their clients) but allowing intranet access at the same time.
Or this is a deliberate behavior when setting Allow Internet Access option to OFF when using Guest Networks 1 and 2 which was introduced when the Aimesh option was added to those two guest networks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!