What's new

ZEN Wi-Fi XT8 Mesh is overwhelmed...Looking for advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It perhaps has popular these days MediaTek CPU and 1GB RAM. No much information about the CPU. I'm going to wait a bit for this thing to appear at TP-Link Emulators web. I want to see what the firmware looks like. It is underpowered indeed, but still interesting as 3-in-1 device and relatively cheap. For under $500 total it makes Omada setup with 2x AX1800-class APs. You just connect the wires and power it on.

I just realized I'm talking BS about firmware. :)

The "firmware" is Omada SND Controller interface, of course.

targeting a price point

Limited feedback from early adopters say the device is okay for small setup, but with limitations. The CPU is struggling to run routing + controller and the UI is slower than OC200 hardware controller. The switch is not fully integrated smart switch like separate JetStream switches. The controller has limits of what can be added to the system, number of devices (switches in particular). Looks like separate SafeStream router + JetStream switch + Omada SDN Controller is the better way to do things. At least on this stage with the firmware available for ER7212PC.

My advice to @RobJack is to work on Ethernet wiring first and then get few HD series APs only from Amazon (with return option) run by free software controller on whatever is available PC/RPi/Docker. One of the XT8s can be used as router with familiar Asuswrt UI. The issue is not in the router part, but in what the built-in radios can handle. Once the IoTs around the house are happy - sell the other XT8s as a pair to recover some money and continue building the Omada system. Proper VLAN capable main router will be nice, proper switch with PoE, outdoor wireless AP perhaps. This is both fail-safe and cost-effective approach and can be stretched over time for less financial impact. It will be fun to build and fun to play with after.

Limited feedback from early adopters say the device is okay for small setup, but with limitations. The CPU is struggling to run routing + controller and the UI is slower than OC200 hardware controller. The switch is not fully integrated smart switch like separate JetStream switches. The controller has limits of what can be added to the system, number of devices (switches in particular). Looks like separate SafeStream router + JetStream switch + Omada SDN Controller is the better way to do things. At least on this stage with the firmware available for ER7212PC.

My advice to @RobJack is to work on Ethernet wiring first and then get few HD series APs only from Amazon (with return option) run by free software controller on whatever is available PC/RPi/Docker. One of the XT8s can be used as router with familiar Asuswrt UI. The issue is not in the router part, but in what the built-in radios can handle. Once the IoTs around the house are happy - sell the other XT8s as a pair to recover some money and continue building the Omada system. Proper VLAN capable main router will be nice, proper switch with PoE, outdoor wireless AP perhaps. This is both fail-safe and cost-effective approach and can be stretched over time for less financial impact. It will be fun to build and fun to play with after.
This is a sound and solid plan, and as you say, it can actually be fun. Really appreciate your time and the thought you've put into this issue. You've been a great resource! Thanks @Tech9

The fun begins when you realize your new system is VLAN capable end-to-end. What you need to watch for (eventually, if you want more Pro approach) is VLAN ACLs options on the router. I have to check the specs again, but I believe the cheapest ER605 doesn't have it, the next ER7206 does. This will allow VLAN separated IoTs with one way access. You may recall some things you've done with business equipment in the past and I believe you'll kill some time playing with it on your own home network and even learning something new. You can also impress your guests with custom Guest Network captive portal with DoD warning sign and... Facebook login (Omada SND Controller involved). :)

The fun begins when you realize your new system is VLAN capable end-to-end. What you need to watch for (eventually, if you want more Pro approach) is VLAN ACLs options on the router. I have to check the specs again, but I believe the cheapest ER605 doesn't have it, the next ER7206 does. This will allow VLAN separated IoTs with one way access. You may recall some things you've done with business equipment in the past and I believe you'll kill some time playing with it on your own home network and even learning something new. You can also impress your guests with custom Guest Network captive portal with DoD warning sign and... Facebook login (Omada SND Controller involved). :)
😆! This reminds me of the fun I used to have creating broadcast shutdown alerts when emergency work was needed on the network. Fortunately, my State Department customers had a good sense of humor and would actually look forward to what would be in the next alert message! I'm actually looking forward to my network being a hobby instead of just another utility service.

😆! This reminds me of the fun I used to have creating broadcast shutdown alerts when emergency work was needed on the network. Fortunately, my State Department customers had a good sense of humor and would actually look forward to what would be in the next alert message! I'm actually looking forward to my network being a hobby instead of just another utility service.
Since you have Cisco skills I think you will be unhappy using TP-Link. I was. It was my first exposure to other than Cisco and Linksys. TP-Link is not very good it has issues and they are not good about fixing it.
You may want to take a look at the Cisco small business switches and wireless APs using vlans to breakup your broadcast domain. You can run the Cisco switches in L3 mode so you can switch your networks at line speed.
For a home router right now I am running pfsense sense they have spent lots of money moving forward and they are on the latest FreeBSD version. If you do L3 switching with Cisco you do not need to worry about vlans in pfsense. You just route to the L3 switch which keeps most of the networking in the Cisco world.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!