What's new

11g degredation with 11n?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fletchmath

New Around Here
I have a dlink dir-655 upstairs, and currently two 11g notebooks and a PS3 as clients.

If I add a DAP-1522 to improve the PS3's service, will the 11g service to the laptops take a hit? What should I expect?

Thanks,
Ken

Tim can maybe shed a bit more light on it, but there do seem to be known degredation problems running G and N together. It seems as though you're best using the DAP-1522 in G only mode.

Edit: Found the full SNB write up here. Specifically: "The bad news is that its 2.4 GHz operation draft 11n performance seems unstable and it may really stink at supporting legacy 11b/g clients."

This seems to be a trend.

Last edited:
Quick one: I've just purchased the wrt610n from newegg, still waiting on it to arrive, but our printer just died too, and i was thinking of getting a new multifunction wireless printer, but was wondering would the printer affect the performance if connected on the 2.5ghz band running 802.11g whilst I would still having running wireless n clients.. Even though I wouldn't send many things to the printer, would it still degrade performance??

Hope that make sence..

You only see performance degradation from an active client. So when the printer is idle, you won't affect 11n client throughput.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but just so I am crystal clear on this.

If I upgrade to an DIR-655 and run it in 802.11g mode only. I will not have the mix mode degradation problem?

I pretty sure the answer is yes, just confirming.

Even if you leave the router in 11n + 11g mode, you will only have mixed mode degradation if you have both draft 11n and 11g active clients. You get the degradation only when both types of devices are sending data at the same time.