What's new

18Mbps NordVPN on AC68u so easy...what's your speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My only sometimes-observed VPN (well NordVPN) problems come from accessing Amazon.com. Don't know why loans/banks/etc would care about you using a VPN, unless the VPN server you are connecting up to is "in the wrong country."

Because VPN servers are often used for malicious purposes, so security companies like Cloudflare often block IP ranges belonging to VPN tunnel providers.

I just love security discussion's lol

As for myself I have 1G service with RCN,

to give you some context, Without VPN on WIFI I get about

706mbps in my bedroom -67dBm
at my computer desk I get about 900+ mbps -13 dBm
and Wired I get my full 1G full-duplex

Over WIFI on a VPN with all the encryption overhead
I get 175mbps in my bedroom -67 dBm
at my computer desk I get 866mbps -13 dBm
Wired, my connection is unchanged

This is with ProtonVPN

------------------------
My streaming & entertainment device's that are on TorGaurd
using a dedicated IP with slightly less encryption than ProtonVPN

PS4 get's 706mbps -57dBm
Smart TV get's 604mbps -59 dBm

------------------------------
When torrenting I use VPNArea which has very light encryption overhead

on my smartphone -67 dBm I get 585mbps
on my pc on WIFI -67 dBm I get 485mbps

My only sometimes-observed VPN (well NordVPN) problems come from accessing Amazon.com. Don't know why loans/banks/etc would care about you using a VPN, unless the VPN server you are connecting up to is "in the wrong country."
I asked CapitalOne about this. They prevent access to their website if you are using a VPN. They are worried about hackers that they say commonly try to access their site using a VPN. My VPN says I'm in San Jose Calif.

I asked CapitalOne about this. They prevent access to their website if you are using a VPN. They are worried about hackers that they say commonly try to access their site using a VPN. My VPN says I'm in San Jose Calif.

I can't access BOA using an IP from PIA however when using an IP from Astrill no problems. Astrill also seems more adept of keeping ahead of Netflix's whack a mole approach to blocking VPN connections at least when using certain of their servers.

I can't access BOA using an IP from PIA however when using an IP from Astrill no problems. Astrill also seems more adept of keeping ahead of Netflix's whack a mole approach to blocking VPN connections at least when using certain of their servers.
Interesting. So the fact that NordVPN $33 dollar/year vpn service seems to work great with Netflix, is probably because of some constant gymnastics on NordVPN's part.

Last edited:
Because VPN servers are often used for malicious purposes, so security companies like Cloudflare often block IP ranges belonging to VPN tunnel providers.
Finally see the full issue. Thus we cannot make blanket predictions about what sites ordinary users will or will not be able to reach with any particular VPN service at any particular time.

The fact that many of my new users of OpenVPN/NordVPN have not yet had trouble thus far (outside of problematic/off-on Amazon.com access) is probably a coincidence, and is not predictive of how well the VPN is going to work down the road across all domains.

Must become more cautious, and learn more about VPN policy rules, before advising people to rush their routers onto VPN services.

Finally see the full issue. Thus we cannot make blanket predictions about what sites ordinary users will or will not be able to reach with any particular VPN service at any particular time.

The fact that many of my new users of OpenVPN/NordVPN have not yet had trouble thus far (outside of problematic/off-on Amazon.com access) is probably a coincidence, and is not predictive of how well the VPN is going to work down the road across all domains.

Must become more cautious, and learn more about VPN policy rules, before advising people to rush their routers onto VPN services.

I think you are being overly pessimistic. Most sites other than some financial services and streaming video companies don't block VPN connections.

The bigger issue that people considering using VPNs need to understand is that their data is only secured on half of its journey across the WWW. Once it leaves the server of the VPN provider and continues to its destination server it is unencrypted. Only an end to end VPN connection is truly private.

Commercial VPN providers over sell the security that using a VPN provides.

You are proposing that Merlin firmware use the SoftEther VPN client, or that we somehow install into our routers the SoftEther VPN client, instead of whatever VPN client software is being used/written now by Merlin?

via entware softether can be installed and I heard its alot better and faster then openvpn although its built upon it

I think you are being overly pessimistic. Most sites other than some financial services and streaming video companies don't block VPN connections.

The bigger issue that people considering using VPNs need to understand is that their data is only secured on half of its journey across the WWW. Once it leaves the server of the VPN provider and continues to its destination server it is unencrypted. Only an end to end VPN connection is truly private.

Commercial VPN providers over sell the security that using a VPN provides.

that is not true , it is fully secured even to the website

that is not true , it is fully secured even to the website
I don't think so. How is any web site going to decrypt your data without knowing the key? The encryption when using a commercial VPN server ends at their server.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!