What's new

1TB hard disk says unmounted on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sanke1

I have installed the latest beta 3.0.0.4.374_573 on my RT-AC68U today. Did a hardware reset by holding the reset button for 15 seconds.

dbtRUke.jpg

6IG6cmZ.jpg

But as before I have never been able to mount any USB 3 based hard disk. It always says unmounted. The hard disk is detected though.

Do I need to format the disk into some obscure file system?

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
you should format it ext4. be sure to format the partition rather than the disk itself. you'll want to use a gparted live iso to change the partition to linux/type 83

I thought it should be EXT3, no?

hey L,

merlin indicated in the past that the ac56 and the 68 can do ext4, but all the rest have to use ext3, yea.

ext4 i guess is more hardware intensive, otherwise i suspect it'd be trivial for merlin to give the rest ext4 support

ext4 i guess is more hardware intensive, otherwise i suspect it'd be trivial for merlin to give the rest ext4 support

ext4 requires a newer kernel than what the older router uses.

ah, guess i misunderstood what all you were able to change. i take it you have to leave kernel development to asus because of the hardware involved? i was thinking this was the case, but they gave you the code to compile the kernel you had to use when you compiled the firmware and that you could potentially hodge-podge extra stuff in, but i have to admit this is all way over my head

ah, guess i misunderstood what all you were able to change. i take it you have to leave kernel development to asus because of the hardware involved? i was thinking this was the case, but they gave you the code to compile the kernel you had to use when you compiled the firmware and that you could potentially hodge-podge extra stuff in, but i have to admit this is all way over my head

I can't change kernel version, because all the precompiled binary blobs (CTF, wireless, etc...) are linked against a very specific kernel version.

And backporting an entire filesystem is way, way too risky. Personally, I value the security of my data more than just getting yet another shiny filesystem. Seeing how Linux devs can keep a filesystem in beta for years before labelling it as stable, I just won't touch that one. A filesystem has ties to bits all over the kernel, it's not as simple as, for simple, just a new Netfilter module.

Does anyone have a guide to Samba usage with USB3.0 drives on the AC68U?

Further, is there a list of known working drives? I'm about to pick up a big drive for networked storage of media files but I don't want to plunk down my hard earned dollars unless I know for sure that what I buy is going to work at decent speeds with the 68U.

Furtherer, what's the current status on having to disable USB3 speeds on the 68U? I seem to remember there being issues about the unshielded port causing interference or something..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!