What's new

2.4 GHz, 5 GHz settings question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DCT

Occasional Visitor
Running Merlin 386.2_6 on RT-AC 86U, I need to be able to choose between 2.4GHz and 5GHz on my phone. What settings should I have to do this?

Running Merlin 386.2_6 on RT-AC 86U, I need to be able to choose between 2.4GHz and 5GHz on my phone. What settings should I have to do this?
Turn off smart connect found on wireless, under advanced settings. Name each band separately and then you are all set.

Reactions: DCT
That worked, thanks for the quick reply.
But you are better off using SmartConnect and letting the clients and router choose which band to use.

Reactions: DCT
But you are better off using SmartConnect and letting the clients and router choose which band to use.
That's what I've been using, but I just bought a security camera that only works on 2.4 GHz and to set it up through the app the phone needs to be using 2.4 GHz for it to connect to Wi-Fi. Using SmartConnect I had to walk a long way down my driveway before it finally switched from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz. I guess that says good things for the AC-86U's range. From what I understand once the camera is connected to Wi-Fi then I can turn SmartConnect back on.