What's new

2.4ghz and 5ghz clients cant communicate with each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Further update: After changing the SSID on the 2.4 GHz band (this time, to something different than the 5 GHz band), my camera can once again connect to my laptop on the 5 GHz band, so that refutes my previous conclusion that setting the SSIDs to have the same name would resolve the cross-band communication issue and that having them different would re-enable the problem.

Right, this isn’t a radio association issue.

Making one SSID and filtering which device can connect to which band is the same as two SSIDs and associating a device to a band. All you’ve done is made it the router’s job to put a device on a band and not managing it per device. I prefer per device because of the number of devices using private MACs now and with a mix of older and newer devices I don’t want to rely on automated band steering.

Still seems like a bug with forwarding, the firewall daemon or the Alexa service on the firewall.

After changing the SSID on the 2.4 GHz band (this time, to something different than the 5 GHz band), my camera can once again connect to my laptop on the 5 GHz band...
Okay, but what if turning one or the other radio off then back on achieved the same result for near-enough amount of time? That is, asked otherwise, did/would making /any/ setting which caused a radio restart cause the same result, at least for a while? (Did you /actually/ narrow it down to SSID?)

Okay, but what if turning one or the other radio off then back on achieved the same result for near-enough amount of time? That is, asked otherwise, did/would making /any/ setting which caused a radio restart cause the same result, at least for a while? (Did you /actually/ narrow it down to SSID?)
It's still working this morning with different SSIDs, so I can't try your suggestion yet. Also, changing the SSIDs did cause the Wi-Fi to restart as expected, so whether that is why I can now connect has yet to be confirmed.

I'm running (mostly) same SSIDs, all but 5-2 on the two tri-radio units. Haven't yet encountered any issues. Was it this thread I'd mentioned making a 5GHz radio option change and found my laptop connected to 2.4 AX 40MHz? Got, I believe it was, ~400Mb/s realized to any 5GHz client and/or router/AP (exclusive, I suppose, though don't recall checking, /to/ the associated radio - I do know that nets about half rate in 5GHz - solely with the hosting radio as the endpoint itself (iperf3)). And vice versa. No problem 2.4 <--> 5. Though I'm sure it's irrelevant due to being different models than this thread's basis?

I found this thread by a Google search. I also experience the same problem with my RT-AX86U Pro. For me it's mostly my printer as it only connects to 2.4G and PC's that are on the 5G network can't communicate with it until they are switched over to 2.4G.

Still occurs from time to time and was doing so on the Asus factory firmware and still occurs on Merlin. Asus support are useless, I sent the device back to them at their request. They upgraded the firmware and "other fixes" that they can't tell me what they did. In other words, nothing.

Rebooting seems to resolve it for a while, I dont see why I should have to set a reboot schedule on such an expensive device. Had exactly the same network setup with a TP-LINK router and never experienced this.

I think I might have finally solved this issue but we'll see...it's been over 30 days and still good connecting to my canon printer. I got so frustrated with the whole process that I lost track of the changes I was making on the 2.4 and 5GHZ professional settings. Anyway here are my settings and hopefully they'll help someone out there. FYI I'm running separate SSID's for each band and disabled smart connect. Also running latest Merlin on my AX86U Pro.

1707095563538.png

1707095603295.png

Hi,

Just signed up here as i've been watching but not been subscribed.

I've just changed my router (latest firmware albeit Merlin but has been showing this issue persistently) to match the settings above, and I had to make the following changes from what was there before:

2.4GHz:
Multi-User MIMO: Enable -> Disable
Explicit beamforming: Enable - Dusable
Universal beamforming: Enable -> Disable

5GHz:
Enable Tx Bursting: Disable -> Enable
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO: DL/UL OFDAM + MU-MIMO -> Disable

Will see how it goes, fingerts crossed! Nice effort doing all the work to get there atkinsom..

I don't think you guys can fix this with Wi-Fi settings. This is bridging between two interfaces issue.

Coincidence or not, running the exact same settings as atkinsom for a week and been golden

Edit: spoke too fast, today it’s a let down..Tech9´s probably right

Last edited:
I don't think you guys can fix this with Wi-Fi settings. This is bridging between two interfaces issue.
How do you explain it works fine with an older firmware? Since I reverted back to 388.2.2, I haven't got any disconnection between LAN, 2.4G and 5G.

The bridge rules are perhaps broken in newer firmware.

I don't know. I can't reproduce on my RT-AX86U. It's Pro models specific issue.

How do you explain it works fine with an older firmware? Since I reverted back to 388.2.2, I haven't got any disconnection between LAN, 2.4G and 5G.
Is it 3.0.0.4.388_22525-gd35b8fe? Because I'm still having issues connecting to nodes on 2.4GHz using this firmware.
Thanks

Was also happening to me on the official Asus firmware, so its not just Merlin firmware.

Whatever is broken there comes from Asuswrt base. The bug was perhaps ported to Asuswrt-Merlin with closed source components.

I only need access to the 2.4GHz for an old Canon MX430 printer. My new workaround if I cannot access the printer via my laptop :

1) Change from the 5GHz SSID to the 2.4GHz SSID on my laptop.
2) Change back to the 5GHz SSID, I can then access the printer.

I only print a few things a month, so for me this is not really a big deal.

It only happens with the Asus RT-AX86U Pro model. My previous model Asus RT-AX86U had no issues. Both using the latest Merlin firmware. Also checked with a neighbour who is using my old Asus RT-AX82U model (using latest gnuton firmware), he has no issues accessing his 2.4GHz printer, and he has the same setup as me (splitting the 2.4/5 GHz bands to separate SSIDs)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!