What's new

2.5G Port for backhaul with Aimesh Node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tests will have to resume after my wife is gone again, due soon.
FWIW here is a similar thread with part of my struggle to route the network correctly, and the kind folks who have helped me:

I was mistaken about the NAS cable speed (new cable 2), it is also 1Gbps.

I will be happy with the 1Gbps for now. I am unable to get anything out of the 2.5G port over 100M.
I can't get over 250Mbs down/ 10 up currently from ISP anyway, but soon to be a gig. Maybe tackle it then.
It is working now, and I have two cables after much work, and more to do burying it.
thanks,
jts

Consider doing this:

Bring the two routers together:

Configure the main router so that it uses the primary WAN input. Leave the 2.5 Gb/s port as a LAN port.

Daisy chain the two routers:

1. Configure the node router to run in full router mode. Connect a LAN port from the main router into the node router WAN port. At this point, the routers are connected via 1 Gb/s ports and they should act as such.

Run a speedtest via ethernet from the node router 2.5 Gb/s port to see what you get. You should be able to see the connect rates in the network map showing 1 Gb/s for the 2.5 Gb/s port , but the speedtest will confirm that yes indeed, you're getting something over 100 Mb/s. With the connect rate showing 1 Gb/s , anything over 100 Mb/s on the speedtest will confirm that the pins on the node router 2.5 Gb/s port are working as expected for a 1 Gb/s connect rate. At the very least, you know that the port controller will run the 2.5 Gb/s port at 1 Gb/s

2. Flip the cable connector on the main router from a LAN port to the 2.5 Gb/s port. At this point the two routers are still connected at a 1 Gb/s rate. Have a look the network map on the main router to see what is indicated for the connect rate with the 2.5 Gb/s port. You should see a 1 Gb/s connect rate.

Run a speedtest via ethernet from a LAN port on the node router to see what you get, expecting to see something over 100 Mb/s as a confirmation that the 2.5 Gb/s port on the main router will at least run over 100 Mb/s. If so, then all of the 2.5 Gb/s port pins are active on the main router and are capable of running up to 1 Gb/s.

3. Flip the WAN port selection on the node router from the primary WAN port to the 2.5 Gb/s port. Change the cable on the node router from the WAN port to the 2.5 Gb/s port. With the two routers connected via the 2.5 Gb/s ports, I'd expect the ports to run connect and run at 2.5 Gb/s. The question is, will the ethernet connect rates as shown in the network map actually show that? Have a look at both network maps, specifically the 2.5 Gb/s port connect rates to see if they have flipped to 2.5 Gb/s. If not, then either there's a bug in the UI, or at least one of the ports will not run at 2.5 Gb/s. Even if the UI does show that it runs at 2.5 Gb/s, you still need some method of testing both 2.5 Gb/s ports with an independent test device to confirm that yes indeed, they are running at 2. 5 Gb/s. Even a small switch with 2.5 Gb/s ports would do the job.

Now, if you prove that the 2.5 Gb/s ports on both routers are running as expected, and the long cable proves out, then I'd expect the two routers to connect and operate via that cable. From the sounds of it, you might need to replace it if you don't have full confidence in it.

The other unknown here is whether the node routers 2.5 Gb/s port will operate as the WAN input port when the node router is configured to operate as a node, instead of operating as a router. Maybe you found a bug?? Testing both routers initially in router mode should confirm if the two 2.5 Gb/s ports will operate as expected. Then its a question of determining what happens when the node router is flipped to operate as a node.

Thanks for putting that together. I will try the rest of it out as best I can as soon as I can disturb the network without getting a flogging.

As mentioned in an earlier post - I too initially struggled to get 2.5Gbps throughput between my two AX86U's ... until I got a cable rated for 10Gbps [i.e. Cat6E. Cat7 or Cat8].

I know it's a schlep - but my best advice is: -
  • get a short 3 metre Cat6E or higher cable from shop with factory fitted RJ-45 connectors;
  • backup your present setup and jffs;
  • reset both routers to factory defaults;
  • setup main router as new with minimal setup [follow advise from @L&LD - don't restore any settings ];
  • add second router as Aimesh Node within close proximity to main router using wizard;
  • leave all settings on default auto for backhaul - let it settle for 5 minutes;
  • connect new short cable to 2.5Gbps ports of both routers - wait for AiMesh to link via new ethernet cable.
Now - if you don't get 2.5Gbps link shown on LAN5 ... get Routers replaced by Asus / Supplier ... got to be a hardware issue on one or other router's LAN5 port.

If that does work [and I'm holding thumbs for you] - then sadly the long cables [length or spec?] just don't cut it.
Good luck :).

As mentioned in an earlier post - I too initially struggled to get 2.5Gbps throughput between my two AX86U's ... until I got a cable rated for 10Gbps [i.e. Cat6E. Cat7 or Cat8].

I know it's a schlep - but my best advice is: -
  • get a short 3 metre Cat6E or higher cable from shop with factory fitted RJ-45 connectors;
  • backup your present setup and jffs;
  • reset both routers to factory defaults;
  • setup main router as new with minimal setup [follow advise from @L&LD - don't restore any settings ];
  • add second router as Aimesh Node within close proximity to main router using wizard;
  • leave all settings on default auto for backhaul - let it settle for 5 minutes;
  • connect new short cable to 2.5Gbps ports of both routers - wait for AiMesh to link via new ethernet cable.
Now - if you don't get 2.5Gbps link shown on LAN5 ... get Routers replaced by Asus / Supplier ... got to be a hardware issue on one or other router's LAN5 port.

If that does work [and I'm holding thumbs for you] - then sadly the long cables [length or spec?] just don't cut it.
Good luck :).

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. My cable is rated up to 10Gbps, but the length may be too much to achieve that. I tried it with a short cat 6 factory cable with the same results, although I didn't do another factory reset since it hadn't been long since I had. I will test again with resets like ya'll said as soon as I can move the node and not disturb anybody on the network.

I'm afraid it is the hardware now, but I don't know which one or how to find out if all the other tests go as I expect. I'll cross that bridge when it is ready to cross.

Ok, here's a second try at this. Hopefully it will give some clarity to the tests that I indicated previously. I had the wiring directions nicely spaced out but the forum software won't accept multiple spaces, grrrrrr. So, plan B ... improvise.

Bring both routers together and connect them with a short ethernet cable that you know is in good working order. Log into the Node Router and set it to operate in Router Mode. The purpose of doing that is to determine if the 2.5 Gb/s ports on both routers, when operating in Router mode will operate correctly when they are connected together and the Node Router WAN port is finally set to the 2.5 Gb/s port instead of the WAN port. Leading up to that point, are a couple of checks to determine if all of the pins on the 2.5 Gb/s ports are active and will deliver more than 100 Mb/s, which really means that all pins are active. The final step is to connect both routers using the 2.5 Gb/s ports, running at 2.5 Gb/s, with the Node Router finally set to AiMesh mode. So, a step by step check, one step at a time.

Test 1. Daisy chain the routers with both routers running in Router mode. Keep the Node Router in Router mode for all three initial tests.

Modem -> Main Router -> Node Router -> PC

Modem -> Main WAN Port -- LAN Port -> Node WAN Port -- 2.5 Gb/s Port -> PC

Check the Node Router LAN Map. Port 5 should show 1 gb/s connection rate

Run a speedtest using the PC. The objective is to see approx 250 Mb/s download data rate. If you see over 100 Mb/s, that indicates that the 2.5 Gb/s port on the Node Router will run over 100 Mb/s and when connected to a PC with a gigabit port, it should be able to run up to 1 Gb/s. All of the pins on the Node Routers 2.5 Gb/s port are active.

Test 2. Connect the Node Router to the Main Router's 2.5 Gb/s port

Modem -> Main WAN Port -- 2.5 Gb/s Port -> Node WAN Port -- 2.5 Gb/s Port -> PC

Check the Main Router LAN Map. Port 5 should show 1 gb/s connection rate

Run a speedtest using the PC. The objective is to see approx 250 Mb/s download data rate. If you see over 100 Mb/s, that indicates that the 2.5 Gb/s port on the Main Router will run over 100 Mb/s and when connected to a device with a gigabit port, it should run up to 1 Gb/s. All of the pins on the Main Routers 2.5 Gb/s port are active.

Test 3. Connect the Node Router 2.5 Gb/s port to the Main Router's 2.5 Gb/s port

Modem -> Main WAN Port -- 2.5 Gb/s Port -> Node 2.5 Gb/s Port -- LAN Port -> PC

Log into the Node Router and make note of the WAN IP address on the LAN map before the following change. You will need that IP address for Test 4. With the IP address noted, set the WAN .... DUAL WAN .... Primary WAN to 2.5 Gb/s. Hit Apply and then check the LAN map to see if Port 5 indicates a 2.5 Gb/s connection rate. You may have to reboot the router at this point if it doesn't show 2.5 Gb/s. After changing the WAN port to use the 2.5 Gb/s port, check the WAN IP address again to see if it has changed at all. If so, make note of the new IP address for Test 4.

After the reboot (if necessary), check the Main Router and Node Router LAN Map. Port 5 should show 2.5 Gb/s connection rate on both routers.

Run a speedtest using the PC. The objective is to see approx 250 Mb/s download data rate. If you see over 100 Mb/s, that indicates that the 2.5 Gb/s port on the Main Router and Node Router will run over 100 Mb/s and in theory, when you move up to a Gb/s service with your ISP, you should see approx 940 Mb/s from a speedtest in any of the above configurations. Up to this point, if you see something over 100 Mb/s, that translates to the fact that all pins on the 2.5 Gb/s port, on both routers, are active. In this specific test, and result, if both LAN maps show Port 5 connecting at 2.5 Gb/s that indicates that both port controllers believe that the ports are connected at a 2.5 Gb/s rate.

The real test at this point would be to use a pc or switch or other device with a 2.5 Gb/s port to really test for a 2.5 Gb/s connection rate. That device would require some method of indicating the connection rate, either by a simple LED in the case of a switch, or a connection rate as shown in the Windows .... Settings.... Network & Internet ... Ethernet .... Network x Properties section. That Properties section is shown when you select the appropriate Listed Network for display. You really need an independent method of testing this, not simply using the same device at both ends, in case both devices have the same bug.

Test 4. Leave the Node Router 2.5 Gb/s port configured as the WAN port and connected to the Main Router's 2.5 Gb/s port

Log into the Node Router and change the mode to Access Point, just to see what's going to happen in this case. Hit Save. You might be disconnected at this point when the Node Router switches over to Access Point mode. If so, use the IP address that you noted above to access the login page for the Node Router. I don't expect that to change when the Node Router switches from Router mode to Access Point mode. If for any reason it has changed, login to the Main Router and determine the IP address for the Node Router, as shown in the Main Routers LAN map.

Login to both routers and check the LAN map to see if Port 5 indicates a 2.5 Gb/s connection rate with the Node Router in Access Point Mode. Run a speedtest with the PC to determine if there has been any loss in the previously observed results. You should still see something over 100 Mb/s, as you have previously.

Test 5, the final goal. Leave the Node Router 2.5 Gb/s port configured as the WAN port and connected to the Main Router's 2.5 Gb/s port

Log into the Node Router and change the mode to AiMesh Node, just to see what's going to happen in this case. Hit Save. You might be disconnected at this point when the Node Router switches over to AiMesh Mode. I'm not an Aimesh user, so, I'm not sure if the Node Router IP address changes. If so, use the IP address that you noted above to access the login page for the Node Router. I don't expect that to change when the Node Router switches from Router mode to Access Point mode. If for any reason it has changed, login to the Main Router and determine the IP address for the Node Router, as shown in the Main Routers LAN map. Maybe someone who uses AiMesh can chime in here regarding the IP address for the Node Router and how to log into it when its in AiMesh mode.

Login to both routers and check the LAN map to see if Port 5 indicates a 2.5 Gb/s connection rate with the Node Router in AiMesh Mode. Run a speedtest with the PC to determine if there has been any loss in the previously observed results.

At this point, if you see that both LAN maps show Port 5 running at 2.5 Gb/s and you end up with something over 100 Mb/s on a speedtest, in theory, the two modems are running a 2.5 Gb/s connection rate with the Node Router in AiMesh mode.

If you don't end up a result of Port 5 running at 2.5 Gb/s, then the question is, which one of the two routers is at fault, or are they both at fault? At this point you would need a third device to test the 2.5 Gb/s ports on both routers. I suspect that the cheapest solution would be to add a 2.5 Gb/s ethernet card to your pc, assuming that you have a spare PCIE slot available. With a card installed, all you can do is test the routers with the 2.5 Gb/s port running as a LAN port. With a 2.5 Gb/s switch, as long as it has at least 2 ports which run 2.5 Gb/s, you can test the router ports in LAN mode and in WAN mode. Just depends on how far you want to go, or, have to go to test out the router ports.

If you end up with both Port 5s running at 2.5 Gb/s,the next step is to relocate the Node Router, as currently set to AiMesh mode, so that its connected via the long cable. Check both the Main and Node Router LAN maps so see if Port 5 is still running at 2.5 Gb/s. If not, then sadly it looks like a cable replacement is in order. If the ports are running at 2.5 Gb/s, hurrah ..... success. I'm sure that a number of other users would be interested in your results.

If it turns out that you have to replace the cable, consider running fibre instead of a copper cable. Of course, that all depends on the budget.

In theory, I'd expect the two routers to connect at 2.5 Gb/s over a path that might not support a connection at 1 Gb/s. From what I remember reading, the waveform and encoding method was changed for multi-gig devices, so the point to point connection should be more robust. So, if this doesn't work when you try the long cable, then the only conclusion is that there's too much of a signal loss over that cable, not necessarily the cable length itself, but for that specific cable.

If you go and buy a longer cable, or if you happen to have that length of cable on hand, don't install it first. As a first step, install a couple of connectors on it, test the cable so that you know that it works, bring the two routers together again and connect them with that cable. See if that cable will support a 2.5 Gb/s connection rate before you go thru all of the trouble of installing it. If it turns out that the cable won't support a 2.5 Gb/s connection rate, return it, if possible. You might have to buy something like a Cat 7 or Cat 8 cable to support the length that you need.

Last edited:
I connected my two AX86U's with the 2.5G Port as per other references I've read, but I'm only getting 100M according to the network map.
Did I read that wrong, or is there something missing? I can't find anything on it .
I also have about 100' of cat 5 buried from house to my barn. When i use AC86U to AC86U it always stays at 1GB and stable. If I use AX86U to AC86U it always negotiates down to 100MB eventually.

I also have about 100' of cat 5 buried from house to my barn. When i use AC86U to AC86U it always stays at 1GB and stable. If I use AX86U to AC86U it always negotiates down to 100MB eventually.
I would take that to mean the interface is dynamic, and can scale up when necessary (as network/processor traffic/demand increases, perhaps?), but scales down for cooling/power consumption.
@JT Strickland you're doing this when your network (ax86 to ax86) is quiet - could this be why? Based on that, I'd speculate that if you get a couple of wired and wireless devices connected to each node of the mesh and THEN look at the link/backhaul speed when they're all moving data, it would kick up in speed IF that traffic was close enough to the threshold to do so. Those AX routers are powerhouses, prize heavyweight fighters - you might not be throwing hard enough punches at your network to get them to sweat. You may have overbuilt your network.

I would take that to mean the interface is dynamic, and can scale up when necessary (as network/processor traffic/demand increases, perhaps?), but scales down for cooling/power consumption.
@JT Strickland you're doing this when your network (ax86 to ax86) is quiet - could this be why? Based on that, I'd speculate that if you get a couple of wired and wireless devices connected to each node of the mesh and THEN look at the link/backhaul speed when they're all moving data, it would kick up in speed IF that traffic was close enough to the threshold to do so. Those AX routers are powerhouses, prize heavyweight fighters - you might not be throwing hard enough punches at your network to get them to sweat. You may have overbuilt your network.
Could be, it is oversized; I was buying for the future. I need to test it while my wife is streaming televison, and get some more busy clients on board.
I thought one of my ports was 10/100Mbs yesterday, but it was a cable that was just plugged into the router and nothing on the other end.
There was some data going through the 2.5, but maybe not enough to make it work a little.

I'll try that again before I start retesting.

Could be, it is oversized; I was buying for the future. I need to test it while my wife is streaming televison, and get some more busy clients on board.
I thought one of my ports was 10/100Mbs yesterday, but it was a cable that was just plugged into the router and nothing on the other end.
There was some data going through the 2.5, but maybe not enough to make it work a little.

I'll try that again before I start retesting.

My two AX86U's show connection at 2.5Gbps under system status on Network Map page - even if there is nothing at all attached to the Node! Actual throughput will of course depend on the volume of traffic - but any tester should confirm the link's capacity.
LAN5.JPG
I don't believe that a fully functional flawless 2.5Gbps port will report variable rate within this Status report.
If it does not show 2.5Gbps then you have a cable, port or settings problem.

That's not how Ethernet works. If the link speed is changing then there is either a fault on the connection or an interoperability issue between the devices at each end of the cable.

I would really really be surprised if the "link speed" dropped down to 100mb because of the reason you mention. No router (any brand) does that even when idle.

That's not how Ethernet works. If the link speed is changing then there is either a fault on the connection or an interoperability issue between the devices at each end of the cable.
I would really really be surprised if the "link speed" dropped down to 100mb because of the reason you mention. No router (any brand) does that even when idle.
sigh. I choose to believe I don't know everything and that anything is possible, friends. New stuff comes out every day. nobody commenting is an asus engineer. give the guy some hope that everything is ok and there's nothing wrong. let him test, see how it all turns out.

Do yourself a favour and pull Cat 7 or higher. I have no idea how @L&LD can achieve real 2.5Gbps speed through his Cat 5e cable ... but until I used Cat 7 my real-time through-put between the Routers never got above 1Gbps. Noticeable improvement in speeds for WiFi 6 devices - internet speed tests are the same - whether they attached to Main Router or Aimesh node.

View attachment 34392

That table is a simplification of the IEEE standards and CAT 6a, CAT 7, and CAT 7A are not official standards though there are cable manufactures that call there cable those names. For example, 10-Gb Ethernet is expected to run on CAT 5E to 40 feet and I'm doing just that!

Morris

That table is a simplification of the IEEE standards and CAT 6a, CAT 7, and CAT 7A are not official standards though there are cable manufactures that call there cable those names. For example, 10-Gb Ethernet is expected to run on CAT 5E to 40 feet and I'm doing just that!

Morris

Lucky you :) - I could not get several Cat 5e labelled cables to work even at 3 metres on 2.5Gbps - as mentioned in another of my posts above. I guess there is cable and there is cable - with quality being the determinant factor.

Lucky you :) - I could not get several Cat 5e labelled cables to work even at 3 metres on 2.5Gbps - as mentioned in another of my posts above. I guess there is cable and there is cable - with quality being the determinant factor.

It is possibly that the wiring to the connector on your router is not maintaining the tight twists required for CAT 5E. It's the combination of all meeting the spec that makes such high speeds possible. This would explain why some are having problems. I'm not connected to my router at 2.5 Ge as I don't have that need yet.

Morris

For what it's worth, here's another data point. I have two RT-AX86Us, one is in router mode and the other in AP mode. They are connected via 2.5G backhaul using about 60 meters of Cat5e cable running from a basement to a second floor through a cold air return duct. Both ends of the long cable terminate at wall jacks, and the RT-AX86Us connect to the wall jack with a short cable. That setup has been running flawlessly at 2.5G for about six months.

I am wondering if my current router, former node, got the 2.5 Gbs port partially fried when lightning took out my other router and other equipment, or part of it. I thought it was unscathed, but if may have got a small lick I suppose, althought nothing was plugged into the port, if that is possible. I lost the WAN port on a RT-AC86U about a year ago from lightning, but the modem cable was plugged into it. I will do more testing when I can, including reversing the router and the node and resetting them again and see if it makes a difference.

I'm unclear how to determine which port (if any) is defective for sure. I have a multitester and a ethernet tester, but that's about it. I don't think I have the equipment, or the know how, to test a 2.5 Gbs port. I may just have to leave things as is, as long as they don't deteriorate any further.

If you bring the two routers together, connected via short cable and run thru the test steps that I laid out, it shouldn't take you long to determine if the 2.5 Gb/s ports on those routers are working with both routers running in Router Mode, and finally with the Node Router running in AiMesh mode. Follow the steps and let the evidence present itself.

The question is, what happens if you determine that there is a problem. In that case you will need another device to test the routers. To test the routers in AiMesh mode, you would need another router with a 2.5 Gb/s port or a switch with a 2.5 Gb/s port. To test the routers in Router mode you would need to add an ethernet card to a pc where that card has a 2.5 Gb/s port.

I am wondering if my current router, former node, got the 2.5 Gbs port partially fried when lightning took out my other router and other equipment, or part of it. I thought it was unscathed, but if may have got a small lick I suppose, althought nothing was plugged into the port, if that is possible. I lost the WAN port on a RT-AC86U about a year ago from lightning, but the modem cable was plugged into it. I will do more testing when I can, including reversing the router and the node and resetting them again and see if it makes a difference.

I'm unclear how to determine which port (if any) is defective for sure. I have a multitester and a ethernet tester, but that's about it. I don't think I have the equipment, or the know how, to test a 2.5 Gbs port. I may just have to leave things as is, as long as they don't deteriorate any further.
lightning could have, might have only affected that part of the mobo...because there was no connection. if you need the functionality that has been smited (smote?) by lightning, the router is pooched.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!