What's new

2 clients are connecting to RT-AC87U through this device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PI.JPG

I got you all beat... Trying to figure out if this is a security issue or not. The only thing running is darkice to a shoutcast server on this pi, and even then it's not on that address. I have a static setup on it. Some apps are reporting that the network is unstable. This is on an AC 5300. At first I thought the pi was acting as a DHCP server. I'm not sure that's the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Was there ever a resolution to this please?

I have 2 devices showing up on a Wifi Adapter (Netgear A6210, static IP) and for the life of me I cannot figure out why (or what effect it is having). It's attached to a Raspberry Pi running Libreelec but that's the only connection (at ostensibly 5GHz).

My Router AC86 is set up with "Smart Connect" enabled, could it be it's connecting to both? If not then could it be that it's connecting at two different 5GHz frequencies (as on the Pi when I hit refresh in the Connections Manager for that Wlan, it comes up with two wlan0's at the same SSID???)

Appreciate any guidance.

k.

Attachments

• NG.jpg
    NG.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 674
No resolution for me. Just ignoring it.
However, if it helps, I am NOT using Smartconnect, and have the issue on one ip cam, and on 4 vizio TVs.

I see this on an Amcrest IP camera.. I have 'Enable UPnP=NO' in the GUI , so I assumed that the 2 (correctly) refers to the number of Android client devices that I have that are using the IP Cam Viewer app having a socket connection?

NOTE: 4 other IP cameras are also connected to the Android app but are older Foscam/Tenvis devices but they don't show 2 connections.

View attachment 7850
I have a Tenvis TH692 that USED to be on my lan. It is now de-commissioned due to the following:
One day I checked on my DHCP leases and found that the camera had 2 IPs on my lan. The weird thing was that one of the IPs was 192.168.1.123 which was outside my DHCP range.
My best theory on this is that while I had blocked internet access for the DHCP IP, it was still able to get out to the internet (presumably to call home) through the 123 address.
Keep in mind that most of these IoTs are manufactured overseas and God knows what backdoors have been built into them.

My $0.02

I see this on an Amcrest IP camera.. I have 'Enable UPnP=NO' in the GUI , so I assumed that the 2 (correctly) refers to the number of Android client devices that I have that are using the IP Cam Viewer app having a socket connection?

NOTE: 4 other IP cameras are also connected to the Android app but are older Foscam/Tenvis devices but they don't show 2 connections.

View attachment 7850
Interesting....I have this as well on my devices with the majority of the issues regarding Amcrest security devices as well. The outlier is an xbox.

Edit: My assumption was that the device/issues in question were from when they were initially configured they were DHCP. I then made them Static on the device itself. I assumed the router is still "holding" the old IP lease for it???

Was there ever a resolution to this please?

I have 2 devices showing up on a Wifi Adapter (Netgear A6210, static IP) and for the life of me I cannot figure out why (or what effect it is having). It's attached to a Raspberry Pi running Libreelec but that's the only connection (at ostensibly 5GHz).

My Router AC86 is set up with "Smart Connect" enabled, could it be it's connecting to both? If not then could it be that it's connecting at two different 5GHz frequencies (as on the Pi when I hit refresh in the Connections Manager for that Wlan, it comes up with two wlan0's at the same SSID???)

Appreciate any guidance.

k.
The WiFi adapter is acting like a router. I have the same thing with my AC3200 testing router that is connected inside my network. It has the "2" on it, one for the router itself, and one for the machine connected to the router.

Wanted to update in case it helps others....In my case I have a few switches (managed and un-managed) to connect everything in my house. After rebooting these switches I noticed a few of my new POE cameras only showed as one instead of the static and old DHCP IP it initially grabbed. Then yesterday I noticed a new PTZ camera I setup on another switch doing the same. All I did was reboot the switch it was directly plugged into and then rebooted my Asus Router. Now it only shows as 1 device. Hope that helps others!

I updated the firmware, did an nvram reset and it disappeared, so I'm happy. Not sure why it was or why it disappeared though... :)

A full reset, along with a Sanitize Network procedure works wonders. :)

I updated the firmware, did an nvram reset and it disappeared, so I'm happy. Not sure why it was or why it disappeared though... :)
I get the notice (2+ clients) when upnp is disabled. The notice goes away when upnp is enabled.

Hello L&LD, thanks for your reply,

:) sorry for my ignorance, but how can that be possible.. that device has only one RJ45 and it serves content, doesn't provide network access

thanks

Do you have a DLNA client on the AppleTV? I've seen this happen where a DLNA client registers its own IP on some obscure androids ive had in the past.

So I just now noticed that my Amazon fire tv is showing "2 clients are connecting to RT-AC86U through this device", It has never done this before. As a matter of fact none of my devices ever have & I have no idea what it means or why it would start doing this now
considering I havent even used or powered on my amazon fire tv box for months!
Nothing has changed. Bug in firmware or security issue?

Everything is up to date, using merlin 384.11_2

I have this same weird behavior with an RT 88u and Amcrest cameras and a few others. Amcrest at least makes sense as it has both a wireless and ethernet connection. What even stranger is only the wifi IP shows up in network list, not the hardwired IP for the camera but i can only connect to the amcrest camera via the hard IP - which isnt displayed

I'm also having the same issue/bug? My Samsung Smart TV that zombie connects even when it's "turned off" which probably puts it in standby mode. Router says it's always connected via 'Network Map' on my router and currently has 4 devices connected through it.

I just arrived here hoping for an answer but it gets more puzzling. I'm also seeing it on TP-Link Smart Plugs (HS105 and HS110) and on D-Link DCS-942LB cams, and on a ROKU Ultra streaming box - all attached to an ASUS RT-AC5300 with up-to-date 384.11_2 Merlin firmware, though it's been happening for about 6 months on different versions of firmware and on both ASUS and Merlin packages. What I find weird is that the multiple attachments change from device to device on any given day, and some days I don't see it at all. Usually it's "2 are clients connecting to RT-AC-5300 through this device", though I occasionally see 3 or 4. Today I'm seeeing multiple attachments on 5 different devices but of course there's no way of knowing what the MAC addresses of these connections are or even if they're somehow sharing the IP address. Stranger by the day.

My android phone now shows a 2 in it, and for some reason my ac5300 thinks it has got a wired connection. I know the network map is borked and does not show half my connected devices, so I don't pay too much attention to it. It is a bit of a shame Asus did not fix this yet, but then it is not that important to me anyways.

One thing is I've never seen it on any of my wired devices just wireless. Hmm. Strange.

Just ignoring it.
I think that is the best approach. :)

Until someone difinitively relates it to a problem or security issue, it doesn't seem worth being concerned about. Personally, I don't see the need to watch the network map 24/7 :)