What's new

2 quick questions.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Noremacyug

Regular Contributor
When connected to a VPN service via their client on a pc, does that encrypted traffic bypass the qos rules on router?

Second question is: on the rt-ac66u, does qos actually work? I've been fooling with it for two days now and see zero results. Even if I restrict bandwidth to extremes in attempt to see a change. Nada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If I recall correct the QoS sets "minimum" bandwidth restrictions. So if you have no other traffic, you get full bandwidth. To test the QoS you need concurrent traffic.

As for the first question, I think not. The whole point of a VPN is to "hide" the traffic. You can set rules affecting the tunnel, but not the traffic inside the tunnel. That QoS need to be on the client side or in the terminating end of the tunnel.

I tested QoS a few months ago by having a QoS rule of low priority with my laptop's MAC. Then, I started an FTP transfer on both the laptop and the desktop. The laptop was definitely getting a lower transfer rate, until I stopped the desktop, which made the laptop move from Low to Highest priority.

Thanks for the replies.

I realize that I can't individually affect each different protocol flowing through the tunnel since my router won't see it, but I should be able to shape the tunnel as a whole, correct? If that's the case, does vpn use a set list of ports or does that vary from provider to provider? If I were to ditch the vpn client software on the pc and go back to using the router as the client I should then be able to shape all traffic on protocol basis and not the tunnel as a whole, correct? This is actually my preferred method, but it made remote access of vnc servers and my torrent clients webgui a pita, so I decided to try a different route.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with qos. With ports 80,443 set to a high priority and allowed a minimum of 10% upload I started a 1080p stream on YouTube. I then kicked on the Apple TV which had a rule based on MAC address and was set to highest priority and had a minimum of 80% upload for it. Both were allowed maximum download. I expected the Apple TV stream to stay running and the YouTube stream to begin buffering, but the Apple TV didn't receive any extra bandwidth to keep up and instead would buffer. The YouTube stream kept chugging along. I only have a 6mb down/512k up DSL connection and am wanting to get traffic priority setup to keep the important stuff goin. What might I be missing or misunderstanding?

Also, on the qos, say that Apple TV uses port 443 or 80 (which I think it might), which rule would determine its priority, the web browsing rule set to high, or the MAC address rule for the Apple TV that is set to highest? I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2