What's new

2 Routers connected to 1 Cable modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, gotcha!

Just concentrate on keeping that A+ bufferbloat score now and see how fast you can allow your connection to go before the bufferbloat score suffers. For both downloads and uploads.

Would it be best to test with only one device enabled? This way there will be less connections; or do I want regular use scenario?

Would it be best to test with only one device enabled? This way there will be less connections; or do I want regular use scenario?

It shouldn't matter how many devices are connected, but you should be testing with a wired connection. ;)

Just make sure the rest of the connected devices are idle and not streaming or gaming. :)

It shouldn't matter how many devices are connected, but you should be testing with a wired connection. ;)

Just make sure the rest of the connected devices are idle and not streaming or gaming. :)

Great, Thanks!

What about the FreshJR mod on the 'Classification' page? Does anything need to be edited for PC gaming?

Great, Thanks!

What about the FreshJR mod on the 'Classification' page? Does anything need to be edited for PC gaming?

That is a question best asked in that thread. I don't know enough about that to answer. :)

That is a question best asked in that thread. I don't know enough about that to answer. :)

Thanks for all your help. I didn't know about the dslreports/speedtest page. That really is helpful, wow!

I'm gonna test the Rx & Tx speeds and see what works best at low ms buffer bloat up and down speeds while keeping it a A+ rating.

It'll have to get back to the 2 routers 1 cable modem thing after I figure out what speeds are best and then judge from there.

Thank you! :)

So I ran a test on my gaming rig and I found something interesting. My upload graph is consistently erratic.

Attachments

• dslreports gaming rig.jpg
    dslreports gaming rig.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 273
  • dslreports main rig.jpg
    dslreports main rig.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 277
Anyone have any ideas why my gaming rig consistently has erratic upload graphs???

Anyone have any ideas why my gaming rig consistently has erratic upload graphs???

Not off hand, I don't. Can you describe it, especially compared to your main rig?

I attached 2 screen shot pics in post# 26

Those I saw! But I mean what are the spec's of your two rigs and how are they connected to the router? :)

Well they are both wired. All wiring is Cat6, 1Gbps. Main rig is using an onboard Realtek Gigabit NIC, the gaming rig is using an Intel Gigabit CT Adapter NIC both using Windows given drivers. The main rig I use Firefox to test, the Gaming rig I use MS Edge.

your gaming rig is providing more throughput. That may be the effect of the Intel adapter and drivers. Put the same adapter in your main machine and you should get close to the same result. The little blips are likely cache or buffer dump somewhere in the network chain. DSLreports is not a good tool to diagnose issues. Use iperf if you want to optimize the local network. Once it is past your router, it is up to chance.
The difference in those numbers is really insignificant.

your gaming rig is providing more throughput. That may be the effect of the Intel adapter and drivers. Put the same adapter in your main machine and you should get close to the same result. The little blips are likely cache or buffer dump somewhere in the network chain. DSLreports is not a good tool to diagnose issues. Use iperf if you want to optimize the local network. Once it is past your router, it is up to chance.
The difference in those numbers is really insignificant.

Thanks. The upload numbers are actually very inconsistent on both machines. Even with setting the manual bandwidth limiter. Yeah I was curious why the gaming upload graph looked like jumpy while the main rig upload graph looked more smooth. So you say they are outside my lan?

I have no idea how to use iperf. Is it fairly easy to use?