What's new

2 routers, vpn on one, tor on second

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marcusvvv

New Around Here
Hi,

On which router, which firmware this is possible?
I wanna plug second router to first (1lan port) second router (wan port)
Set vpn on first router for mac address of second router, next set tor connection(on second router) for laptop wifi connected to second router.

In this configuration my traffic goes in this way? ISP->VPN -> TOR -wifi laptop,
IS go thru vpn that my ISP don't see im connectiong to TOR network?

Last edited:
If they want, they could still see it. ;)

I don't know how 'possible' this is, but I don't think it will give you what you are looking for, in either case.

what that means if they want?
In some cases i run vpn connection on my system then next use tor browser. My ISP see that i connecting to VPN but cant see that im using TOR, i dont using this to be more secure, but to hide from my ISP that im using TOR.
So please answer me, all traffic in this case what i described with 2 routers go thru VPN or not.

Last edited:
what that means if they want?
In some cases i run vpn connection on my system then next use tor browser. My ISP see that i connecting to VPN but cant see that im using TOR, i dont using this to be more secure, but to hide from my ISP that im using TOR.
So please answer me, all traffic in this case what i described with 2 routers go thru VPN or not.

It means just what I wrote.

Your ISP is not just who you connect to, it who you connect from too. They have control of both ends of the connection(s) so they can see what you're connecting to. What VPN does is they don't know the content of those connections.

Possibly others will prove what I stated above to be wrong, I personally don't know how to achieve what you're describing though.

nope, if you connect to VPN, ISP can see only that you connect to VPN IP addresss, dont see nothing after, nothing. Ofcourse if you know what youre doing (killswitch, dns leak etc)

nope, if you connect to VPN, ISP can see only that you connect to VPN IP addresss, dont see nothing after, nothing.

That is where our beliefs differ. :)

why you wrote here? if you dont wanna answer me , you have 7,5k posts using merlin software with vpn and toor tabs, and wite to me about believe and another blablabla? wheres this discussion goes?

why you wrote here? if you dont wanna answer me , you have 7,5k posts using merlin software with vpn and toor tabs, and wite to me about believe and another blablabla? wheres this discussion goes?

Sorry that I am not giving you the answers you want. I can only share what I know.

I've never written that I use a VPN provider or TOR. But I do use RMerlin firmware.

i dont wanna let my ISP provider see that im using TOR, is this answer is enough for you? google it
https://www.quora.com/Should-you-use-a-VPN-with-Tor

using tor without vpn in these days not recomended, this function on asus merlin is useless unless you connect vpn first

I may be missing something here, but that link is contradictory, I think.

Anyone, can set up a TOR exit node to spy on everyone using TOR?

The order of connection you're asking for in the first post seems to be riskier than using TOR>VPN, according to that link.

My takeaway is that anyone using either or any combination of both is automatically superficially placated into thinking they are 'safer' while at the same time they are also putting themselves on the radar to be more intensely scrutinized for their online surfing habits by both 'good' and 'bad' actors on the internet.

probably youre right. but i still need answer, is everything ok with my setup, can i connect 2 routers described on first post?, this connection will work?

nope, if you connect to VPN, ISP can see only that you connect to VPN IP addresss, dont see nothing after, nothing. Ofcourse if you know what youre doing (killswitch, dns leak etc)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/to-vpn-or-not-to-vpn.55600/page-2#post-472951

That link above is why our beliefs differ. ;)

probably youre right. but i still need answer, is everything ok with my setup, can i connect 2 routers described on first post?, this connection will work?

I really wish I had the technical knowledge to help you. At this time, unfortunately, I don't.

This thread is still pretty fresh though, there may still be others that can.

i know what i need, question is on first post, i dont wanna anything else , just answer, thats it, or if this setup will not work, please give me advice how or is this possible.

i know what i need, question is on first post, i dont wanna anything else , just answer, thats it, or if this setup will not work, please give me advice how or is this possible.

You really need to give more details if you want further information. Dismissing peoples suggestions off hand is not engaging you to others that may actually be able to help.

What routers do you have? What firmware are you running?

Why can't you do this on a single router?

i can have any router with any firmware. I create thread in Asuswrt-Merlin, so guess why im here open thread? no in other. firmware doesnt change nothing, the newest firmware if you ask,
You really dont have any technical knowledge, you dont understand also that firmware and model of router is not important here at this moment is not the point LOL

If a man ask you where can he eat good tbone steak around and only this, you try to ask him why tbone steak? and later you said - i dont even know where is good chicken, but try to describe how big steak you want and descibe how you will eat this i ask friends maybe they will help you :D

On one router i can't send all traffic first to VPN and from VPN to TOR. Don't ask me why i cant use tor browser on system or whonix gateway in oracle vbox on router connected to VPN, because you dont need to know this WHY

Last edited:
i can have any router with any firmware. I create thread in Asuswrt-Merlin, so guess why im here open thread? no in other. firmware doesnt change nothing, the newest firmware if you ask,
You really dont have any technical knowledge, you dont understand also that firmware and model of router is not important here at this moment is not the point LOL

If a man ask you where can he eat good tbone steak around and only this, you try to ask him why tbone steak? and later you said - i dont even know where is good chicken, but try to describe how big steak you want and descibe how you will eat this i ask friends maybe they will help you :D

No, actually, you can't have any router with any firmware. There are substantial differences that may be important. 'Newest' firmware doesn't mean anything either. There are at least 4 or 5 'latest' firmware versions that people are currently using/testing with.

And just from your cryptic responses, I would have never guessed you were using RMerlin firmware either.

I wish you luck treating other users the same way on this forum.

is not the point you understand? because somebody can wrote here -is possible and i will ask on which firmware, second man wrote - not possible and i ask firmware, is really hard for you i see......

maybe i edit first post for you specially, added only: "On which router which firmware this is possible?"

Last edited:
It’s legit a waste of time .

Qubes OS /VPN / TOR should be fine if setup right making sure there’s no leaks