What's new

2 RT-AX86u aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djjsin

Regular Contributor
I have 2 RT-AX86u's. One is my main router and one is an aimesh node via ethernet backhaul

On my AIMESH node, the 5ghz wifi just stops working like daily forcing me to reboot (the node is used much more then the router for my wifi clients)

How can I get this to stop? It's extremely annoying to have to reboot the node daily and not having a stable setup. Most settings are default.

Also, ASUS just released a new firmware for this model that claims to have improved stability. Have you upgraded?

I have a ax86u in media-bridge mode (receive wireless signal and convert it to lan) and it has been up for days no need for reboots.

Right now 153, but it's set to auto

Ya I'm on the newest firmware. And I've removed and readded the node after upgrading.

As always it is recommended to use fixed WIFI channels. Ch 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ and ch 36 or 149 for 5 GHZ.

As always it is recommended to use fixed WIFI channels. Ch 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ and ch 36 or 149 for 5 GHZ.
not necessarily true, as I have discovered, it is best to allow the router to automatically select the least-crowded, least-noisy channel in real-time, whether it be an adjacent or co-channel, because radio interference changes constantly throughout the day.

Right now 153, but it's set to auto

Ya I'm on the newest firmware. And I've removed and readded the node after upgrading.
if 149 and 153 are crowded & noisy, try channels 157 or 161

not necessarily true, as I have discovered, it is best to allow the router to automatically select the least-crowded, least-noisy channel in real-time, whether it be an adjacent or co-channel, because radio interference changes constantly throughout the day.
The router doesn’t always select the least crowded channel. It’s best to do it manually in my experience. Scan with WiFi explorer some other tool. And then tune to the best available frequency. Also, you may consider using a DFS channel if you can, as most of your neighbors (probably all of them) will not be on a DFS channel. And not all of the DFS channels will have radar detection problems. Usually, in my experience, channels on the weather band gives the most trouble (channels 120-128) but for me, 100-116 has been just fine for months. And I get the highest throughput on channel 100 or 104. 200 mbps better according to iperf3. Then again, I live in a dense urban center, and I see 50+ SSIDs in WiFi explorer. I don’t need/use 160 MHz channels.

my dream is when 6 GHz comes, we can transmit at a higher power and no longer have to worry about radar detection.

Last edited: