What's new

2x PCI adapters vs bridge?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElShaddai Edwards

Occasional Visitor
Currently have two tower PCs connected to an AC1750 router with N900 PCI-E cards. Would like to update the 5GHz connection to AC to avoid conflicts with my other AC clients, but not sure if the better option is to upgrade to AC PCI cards or grab a second AC router and use it as a wireless bridge.

Assuming the client devices are all rated the same, say AC1300, is it more effective to let a bridge handle the client switching or let the router sort it out?

Going with a WiFi bridge can be very effective with multiple clients in close proximity...

This would be two PCs, about 4' apart. Direct line of site to the router, about 25' away.

I guess you stay wireless for a good reason..

Go with a WiFi bridge is more efficient in your setup. Buy a new router with three radio bands e.g. RT-AC5300. Dedicate one 5GHz band for the connection of WiFi bridge. Convert your existing AC1750 router into the WiFi bridge. Wire it to your two PC's. Connect it to the main router on the dedicated 5GHz band.

Voila. You have your home brew Orbi but better than the authentic Orbi.

If you don't like the performance (which you won't), you have a brand new router to toy with your other option anyway. What's to lose? Some bits of your time only.

Basement was finished when we bought the house and everything is sealed up tight. Not ready to tear apart the ceiling and walls to work Ethernet cable around the central steel beam and HVAC ducts...

Okay, consensus seems to be in favor of a bridge. I'll keep looking in that direction.

Thank you!