What's new

3.0.0.4.220.17 Merlin: again troubles with erasing NVRAM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geko53

Regular Contributor
After having flashed 3.0.0.4.220.17 Merlin FW I'm not able to erase NVRAM via telnet ("mtd-erase -d nvram") - just the same happened when I had flashed 3.0.0.4.220 Stock build. Therefore, I guess it has to be an Asus bug.

This time I can prove my words (I had the feeling that you didn't believe me when I reported this after the first try with the stock .220 FW) :) :

1. Telnet -> deleting nvram, rebooting:

Cap-1.png

2. Immediately after leaving telnet -> entering Web-GUI:

Cap-2.png

When trying to restore factory settings the "old" entries still have remained, too...

Only after the 3rd try (after having powercycled the router) the factory settings could be restored...

When returning to 3.0.0.3.178.16 (Beta 2) the erasure of NVRAM with "mtd-erase -d nvram" worked immediately...

Strange, isn't it?

Another strange issue will be reported in a new thread.

Last edited:
Okay, tx for reply. I will give it a try when I reflash .220 .17 again.

As there is another issue with mounting USB drive I had to go back to 178.16 Beta2...

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot
Worked for me using Firefox 15

Okay, tx for reply. I will give it a try when I reflash .220 .17 again.

As there is another issue with mounting USB drive I had to go back to 178.16 Beta2...

I also had the external HD "Unmounted" issue when 220.17 started for the first time. Unplugged the N66U for a couple of minutes along with the modem and drive, also restarted IE 9. All has been working fine for last couple of hours.

Had Asus .220 firmware, and flashed to .220.17. Working fine, settings did not have to be cleared or changed. I went through all the GUI screens, and everything looks just fine, working fine. Including work VPN, Verizon Network Extender, and IPv6.

I don't have an USB disks or printers, etc. connected, though, and not using any of the media server or internal VPN features at this time.

I bet that when you access the web interface, you end up writing back part of those settings.

You should reboot immediately after erasing, i.e.:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot