What's new

374_40 Huge problem with PPPoE userid/password

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tundrwd

Occasional Visitor
I've seen this a bit before - but generally wasn't an issue in prior releases. However, now it is a HUGE issue on RTN66U

Apparently, the 374_40 uses or confuses the 2.4Ghz SSID and password with the ISP userid and password. In other words, the 2.4Ghz SSID is placed in the ISP field for the userid/name, and the 2.4Ghz WAP password is placed in the ISP password.

This is seen on the http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp page also, in the "Account Setting" section, the "User Name" is the 2.4Ghz SSID and "Password" is the WAP password for the 2.4Ghz connection.

Anytime the router resets or reboots, etc., it uses these as the ISP userid and password - and that is NOT correct. It requires manually going thru logging into the ISP, which then starts leading you through parts of the setup wizard. I just spent a couple hours trying to resolve this remotely, and had to be present at home to figure out what was going on, and get it working again.

Please fix.

I've had that problem when my browser was set to autofill those passwords. You can try changing your settings to never remember passwords for those pages (you'll have to enter them manually after that) or else use a different browser. The culprit in my case was Safari. Firefox works fine.

I've seen this a bit before - but generally wasn't an issue in prior releases. However, now it is a HUGE issue on RTN66U

Apparently, the 374_40 uses or confuses the 2.4Ghz SSID and password with the ISP userid and password. In other words, the 2.4Ghz SSID is placed in the ISP field for the userid/name, and the 2.4Ghz WAP password is placed in the ISP password.

This is seen on the http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp page also, in the "Account Setting" section, the "User Name" is the 2.4Ghz SSID and "Password" is the WAP password for the 2.4Ghz connection.

Anytime the router resets or reboots, etc., it uses these as the ISP userid and password - and that is NOT correct. It requires manually going thru logging into the ISP, which then starts leading you through parts of the setup wizard. I just spent a couple hours trying to resolve this remotely, and had to be present at home to figure out what was going on, and get it working again.

Please fix.

Interesting stuff. When I tested .40 on rt-n66u with my PPPoE connection, it just worked. Zero problems. I tested numerous things on it with multiple manual reboots for a week. Worked fine. But then again, I never seem to any problems with this stuff. Boring I guess.

Most likely a browser issue. There's no way the router could suddenly mix up two different nvram settings.

Done some more checking - and it might be an issue with Mac Keychain access. I cleaned out several items relating to my router in the new "iCloud" Keychain - separate from the other Keychain areas. Finding some other garbage in there too I'm cleaning out.

Now seems to be ok - I'll keep watching it.

There are some areas of "confusion" with the new Mavericks and iCloud Keychain that have been reported since Mavericks release. Things don't get saved - duplicate info, etc. Not always - just sometimes.

Just an addition to explain - it seems the "login" items in the Keychain are kept separate from "form" items.

Done some more checking - and it might be an issue with Mac Keychain access. I cleaned out several items relating to my router in the new "iCloud" Keychain - separate from the other Keychain areas. Finding some other garbage in there too I'm cleaning out.

Now seems to be ok - I'll keep watching it.

There are some areas of "confusion" with the new Mavericks and iCloud Keychain that have been reported since Mavericks release. Things don't get saved - duplicate info, etc. Not always - just sometimes.

Just an addition to explain - it seems the "login" items in the Keychain are kept separate from "form" items.

So you're saying that there was not really a problem with the firmware on the router? You had some kind of Apple problem or cockpit error?

So you're saying that there was not really a problem with the firmware on the router? You had some kind of Apple problem or cockpit error?

Right now, that's the way we'll leave it. It appears to be an issue with the Apple browser and it's relationship to the new Keychain. Appears to be two sections to the keychain (at least) that Safari is using. And even though the "login" area of the Keychain has no references to my router IP/URL, there was another section (iCloud Keychain) that had information contained in it referring to my router IP/URL.

Don't know how the info got into that area, as I don't save passwords, etc. for a wide variety of sites (and THEY aren't contained in either section - I've checked thoroughly, and NEVER auto fill "id" or "password" fields in forms), but for some reason, 2 entries existed in that area that replaced the data. I'm going to file a bug report with Apple, as I feel that auto-fill should NEVER replace existing data within a form (defaulted or not). I'm also continuing to watch this and see if new entries somehow get manufactured and placed in the Keychain (I think these entries somehow got defaulted in when updating to the new Mavericks).

...puts on tin foil hat...

I wouldn't report this to Apple; they'll know that the methods they're using to get further into your stuff is not working.

...takes off tin foil hat...

:)

Update - been running a while after cleaning out the "iCloud Keychain", and have not had an issue since.

Again, appears to be an issue where some things were copied from the local Keychain to the "iCloud Keychain". Not even sure where some of it came from. Pretty old stuff - stuff I'd cleaned out from the local Keychain quite a while ago.

Anyway - no problems since.