What's new

380.57 Possible port forwarding issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If they show under Port Forwards, then it means the router part is working properly. That does not guarantee however that the modem/ISP aren't interfering (for instance if you hadn't bridged your modem and were in a double NAT configuration).

I cant access the modem.
I could on my old isp.

Something isnt right.
I play fifa and normally a few minutes in the connection always changes. Its run on p2p.
Its like my out going packets are slowed down where as my opponents stay the same.

Whats the best way to monitor this if the port forwards just are shown as a list and we presume they are on?
At least i could rule out the possibility of it being that and then slam my isp.

Could it be related to udp connections?

and it's better, but not perfect as it was before.

Port forwards either work or they don't. I don't see how they could be "better but not perfect".

Port forwards either work or they don't. I don't see how they could be "better but not perfect".
Like I wrote earlier, sometimes I can connect to the sit(s) (on my public server) and sometimes not due to timeout, now I can connect more often than before - that's why it's "better but not perfect". You can check for yourself: https://www.techandme.se

You told me earlier that it was a broadcom issue... Have they updated their FW or the box you are using to build this? Anyway, great work you are doing!

You told me earlier that it was a broadcom issue...

That was in the context that someone thought his issue only occurred with NAT acceleration enabled, turned out it wasn't related.

I can't think of any reason why a port forward would stop randomly working, unless the IP changed and the DDNS didn't get updated, or you ran a custom script that modified the firewall rules. Port forwarding is a fairly simple, basic action in a Linux firewall.

That was in the context that someone thought his issue only occurred with NAT acceleration enabled, turned out it wasn't related.

I can't think of any reason why a port forward would stop randomly working, unless the IP changed and the DDNS didn't get updated, or you ran a custom script that modified the firewall rules. Port forwarding is a fairly simple, basic action in a Linux firewall.

Yes, Linux firewall is simple. I have no DDNS, and no custom script or similar. So question remains, why do 378_56_2 work flawlessly and version after that not... Anyone else with the same or similar experience?

Daniel Hansson That´s bad news. Im still not convinced of upgrading. I dont know what happened from this version forward that has been causing this kind of troubles. Has anyone used the latest firmware on the Asus RT-N66U without trouble with port forwarding?

el pescador in my case it did. after upgrading to the latest firmware (380.59) and doing a factory reset I configured my rt-n66u with my usual settings, which includes enabling dos protection. After a while (almost 10 mins or so) my connections through the router to the forwarded ports were extremely slow. Just to clarify using firmware 378.56_2 with Dos protection enabled this did not happen, so I thought it was another issue.

But today I decided to disable that feature and connections are working perfectly 12 hours after using the firmware. I suspect this may be the culprit of the problem on firmware versions 378.56_2 and up, but further testing may be needed. Although people that are having this problem may try disabling dos protection to see what happens, although I don´t know if doing this may put you in danger of DOS attacks on your routers. Do it at your own risk.

Thanks for all your replies. I have used 380.59 since the past week or so. The connections are slower (doing website speed tests), but it works at least. I will rebuild my network soon and not use the router for the server anymore, and then it won't matter, becuase I will use the router for my private LAN and that isn't as important as my server.

Yes, I have DDOS protection on.

Hello,
I´m using on my home router RT-N66u FW 380.58. Port forwarding works properly. I tried to use the same FW on my workshop, but only difference is: I have dual WAN. In this case port forwarding doesn’t work. I tried to upgrade to latest build 380.59, but with the same result, so I contacted ASUS support via their website for help. They responded, that that I have try stock beta FW http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N66U_B1/FW_RT_N66U_90043802695.zip?_ga=1.110262469.1735398416.1435301109 . Port forwarding issue solved! Compared to Merlin, it looks like a child's toy, but it works.

Hello,
I´m using on my home router RT-N66u FW 380.58. Port forwarding works properly. I tried to use the same FW on my workshop, but only difference is: I have dual WAN. In this case port forwarding doesn’t work. I tried to upgrade to latest build 380.59, but with the same result, so I contacted ASUS support via their website for help. They responded, that that I have try stock beta FW http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N66U_B1/FW_RT_N66U_90043802695.zip?_ga=1.110262469.1735398416.1435301109 . Port forwarding issue solved! Compared to Merlin, it looks like a child's toy, but it works.
I think you should report this problem here, since the latest code is even newer then the beta, so it should work.

Just tested 380.59.... same issue.

It's not that port forwarding does not work, it's that it at random refuses certain port forwarded connections. Where normally the router would forward all the connections that come in on port forwarded ports, it now only forwards about 60-80 % of the connections. Its even so that one program i start fails the first time but succeeds its startup test (which is remote incoming connection test) the time after that. This random connection port forward refusal continues on forever

I also tested the Asus 380_3264 firmware. It has the same issue. Since i've verified this as an Asus Issue i'm going to take it up with them

This issue started when Asus moved from 378 to 380 firmware version

Last edited:
BTW Asus should put a BIG fracking warning sign in red and clearly visible on the 380_3264 firmware. Something like "Currently cannot migrate to thirdparty firmwares"

It's on their website's changelog right at the top. I don't know where else you expect them to post it...

fw-warning.png

Last edited:
Well it's red for the 3341 (AC88U) but not for the 3264 (AC87U)

Thats a main reason people wait a week or two after a FW comes out, to let others report on any of the kinks and report back on it, so they don't get screwed =)