What's new

380.68_4 Wireless Issues even with new router and fresh config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D3; Glad to be of service. Google servers are dependable and fast. You might try lightening your load with/without the TM package. I've tested with it for a day, then turned it off permanently. It felt like dragging the router through mud when TM was on, but the less 'extra' services the router has to perform, the faster the router routes, would be the more accurate description. The 3200 works far faster without it IMHO. The automated QoS also wasn't working very well for us; if you aren't running up against low or hard caps then testing occasionally will tell if you really need auto or manual QoS. We don't use IP traffic monitors, except for testing how the video boxes are performing.

Since TM is closed source, even though many love it and good luck with it, TM always gets whatever resources it demands and it seems to make things 'laggy' so it can be a bit of a road hog. If one of your drives or devices has an infection, depending on TM to read and scan and re-transmit your data back to you in real-time, may seem (IMO) like calling the fire department after the house has burned down. If your devices are protected by a good VPN provider, most of the providers have IPS firewalls and good A/V protection, in addition to whatever you have on your devices. You know the what/who/where and why of what you may be fetching and/or catching in a download. Bogging down a perfectly fine Asus router with extra felgercarb isn't magic, just good management.

SkyNet (firewall) and AB-Solution (adblocking) takes a tiny amount of resources compared to TM, and don't seem to make the router at all 'laggy' so you might find these useful. Many of the Senior members also have great scripts available if you're into scripting. Happy New Year and good luck.

For what its worth I too had wifi problems with 380.68_4 when it came out. I rolled back to 380.68_0 and the complaining stopped.

A few days ago I thought I would give 380.69_0 a shot. First thing I noted was that the Android devices started having brief periods of no connection to my router on 2.4Ghz . Now ...I have not had time to trouble shoot it in great detail but the first thing I did was disable the guest network and the problem appears to have subsided.. or at least my user complaints have subsided. So the problem may be with the Android device OS or it may be with the router.. too early to tell which.

Eastavin, very interesting, thanks. I'm going to have some time and will revert to the pre-July 2016, 386.66version with the additional OpenVPN config entries, then go forward to 380.68, and stop to test that version to compare this Wi-Fi issue with our older android units, with/without guest radios. 380.68 never had any problems I can remember, but now that I've been running two active tunnels for a while, I'll like to have a third tunnel pre-configured but inactive, where I can turn one off and the other on. That shouldn't be difficult even with 64kb NVRAM since I run it pretty lean.

By any chance do you have any android devices running 8.0 or 8.1? My WIFI has been terrible since updating android on my Nexus 5x devices and bringing home Google Pixel 2 phones. My Foscam cameras are now terribly slow even when hardwired and viewing from a hardwired PC. Chromecast devices and smart TVs constantly dropping their connections. All of my problems go away as soon as I turn off the WIFI on all of my android devices (even if they are sitting idle).

So after following all the suggestion 5g-1 keeps disappearing. The other ssids 2.4 and 5g-2 are still there. 5g only has one device connected to it for testing which is my phone. Any ideas?