What's new

384.13 OpenVPN & DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pedsteruk

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC68U - Merlin 384.13

Had this working in the past but noticed (likely after an update as I don’t use VPN that often) that my VPN was not working.

Router and ASUS who is shows DDNS as working and resolving correct IP. So I tried to re export the OpenVPN client config.

This is when I see that it’s not picking up the DDNS name in the exported config and instead using the current WAN IP which is not expected.

Please can someone tell me how to make this use the DDNS or confirm this is a bug that will be fixed in future update.

Thanks.

RT-AC68U - Merlin 384.13

Had this working in the past but noticed (likely after an update as I don’t use VPN that often) that my VPN was not working.

Router and ASUS who is shows DDNS as working and resolving correct IP. So I tried to re export the OpenVPN client config.

This is when I see that it’s not picking up the DDNS name in the exported config and instead using the current WAN IP which is not expected.

Please can someone tell me how to make this use the DDNS or confirm this is a bug that will be fixed in future update.
Whilst this can be frustrating, the exported clientX.ovpn file may legitimately contain a static IP (rather than a DDNS name e.g. in private WAN IP/multiple-NAT environments), so personally I don't believe it is a bug.

In fact this very recent (2weeks old) post VPN instructions for a newbie by @elorimer explicitly states

upload_2019-11-9_11-26-21.png

Whilst this can be frustrating, the exported clientX.ovpn file may legitimately contain a static IP (rather than a DDNS name e.g. in private WAN IP/multiple-NAT environments), so personally I don't believe it is a bug.

In fact this very recent (2weeks old) post VPN instructions for a newbie by @elorimer explicitly states

View attachment 19826
Ok thanks. Perhaps better term is change in behaviour rather than bug, as it used to pickup the DDNS address if set. There doesn’t seem to be a way to Opt for this in the settings.

I’ve manually updated the address in the file now.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. Perhaps better term is change in behaviour rather than bug, as it used to pickup the DDNS address if set. There doesn’t seem to be a way to Opt for this in the settings.

I’m exporting the config for iOS, so are you able to point me to a way to edit it before importing into the OpenVPN app? Once imported there are no options to change the server address away from the IP (which is not static).

Much appreciated.
Happened to me the other day. Pretty sure the way I fixed it was:

Using my Windows laptop,
1. Exported the .ovpn config file to my desktop.

2. Opened the .ovpn comfig file using Notepad++

3. In the Edit section made sure that EOL was set to Unix formatting.

4. Changed the IP address to my DDNS address. Then saved the file. Re-opened the file in Notepad++ to confirm I was now seeing a DDNS address and not an IP address.

5. Imported that revised .ovpn file onto my iPhone then into the OpenVPN app

I’ve glossed over some fine detail there, not knowing how familiar you are with things like Notepad++. I’m happy to go into further detail if necessary.

I also have a feeling that I might also have done similar on an iPad - editing the config file prior to importing it, but I really can’t be sure.

It's mostly your ddns client not updating especially the asus ddns server nowadays

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Perhaps better term is change in behaviour rather than bug, as it used to pickup the DDNS address if set.

On my RT-AC68U the DDNS name is correctly exported (using WWW.DNSOMATIC.COM and 'Method to retrieve WAN IP=INTERNAL') and I believe @RMerlin's commit to remove the original restrictive ASUS 'bug'?

Last edited:
Happened to me the other day. Pretty sure the way I fixed it was:

Using my Windows laptop,
1. Exported the .ovpn config file to my desktop.

2. Opened the .ovpn comfig file using Notepad++

3. In the Edit section made sure that EOL was set to Unix formatting.

4. Changed the IP address to my DDNS address. Then saved the file. Re-opened the file in Notepad++ to confirm I was now seeing a DDNS address and not an IP address.

5. Imported that revised .ovpn file onto my iPhone then into the OpenVPN app

I’ve glossed over some fine detail there, not knowing how familiar you are with things like Notepad++. I’m happy to go into further detail if necessary.

I also have a feeling that I might also have done similar on an iPad - editing the config file prior to importing it, but I really can’t be sure.

Yep can just edit as a text file. I’ve also noticed / found you can override the server in the iOS client.

It's mostly your ddns client not updating especially the asus ddns server nowadays

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yes you are right. Shame as has worked fine for years. It’s now not updating at all unless a remove and re add the DDNS.

I’ve ditched it and all back working.

Thanks all for the help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!