What's new

384.17 Addons-Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you drop unbound from the original, do my scripts work? I raised this before with the author, but I'm fairly certain the unbound startup run in a blocking fashion
Also all of my scripts write out what they're doing, like waiting for ntp or entware. Do you see those outputs in syslog?

Also all of my scripts write out what they're doing, like waiting for ntp or entware. Do you see those outputs in syslog?
I noticed that as well - Unbounds tab was the only one.

Let me # out unbound in services-start and try that.
I will also grep though syslog afterwards

Ok, stopped unbound startup (in post-mount). Did a reboot - no Addon's tabs at all. Not even the "Addons" left hand column - no way to check the addons....

Then, re-enabled unbound startup but moved all other addons to seperate script file that starts with a sleep 30. Called this script at the end of services-start (ran in the background).

All addons started and all tabs show up.

In snooping through /tmp/syslog.log, I do see lots of prints about lockfiles:

admin@RT-AX88U-26A8:/tmp# grep scMerlin syslog.log
Dec 3 16:23:13 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds)
Dec 3 16:23:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 8 seconds)
Dec 3 16:24:59 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: NTP synced, scMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:28:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds)
Dec 3 16:28:36 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 16 seconds)
Dec 3 16:30:10 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: NTP synced, scMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:35:18 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Mounting scMerlin WebUI page as user5.asp
Dec 3 16:40:24 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Mounting scMerlin WebUI page as user6.asp

admin@RT-AX88U-26A8:/tmp# grep spdMerlin syslog.log
Dec 3 16:23:13 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:23:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 8 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:25:00 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: NTP synced, spdMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:28:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 1 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:28:36 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 16 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:30:10 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: NTP synced, spdMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:35:07 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Mounting spdMerlin WebUI page as user4.asp
Dec 3 16:40:12 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Mounting spdMerlin WebUI page as user5.asp

Timing issue? I can try to reduce the sleep if you want.

Ok, stopped unbound startup (in post-mount). Did a reboot - no Addon's tabs at all. Not even the "Addons" left hand column - no way to check the addons....

Then, re-enabled unbound startup but moved all other addons to seperate script file that starts with a sleep 30. Called this script at the end of services-start (ran in the background).

All addons started and all tabs show up.

In snooping through /tmp/syslog.log, I do see lots of prints about lockfiles:

admin@RT-AX88U-26A8:/tmp# grep scMerlin syslog.log
Dec 3 16:23:13 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds)
Dec 3 16:23:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 8 seconds)
Dec 3 16:24:59 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: NTP synced, scMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:28:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds)
Dec 3 16:28:36 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Lock file found (age: 16 seconds)
Dec 3 16:30:10 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: NTP synced, scMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:35:18 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Mounting scMerlin WebUI page as user5.asp
Dec 3 16:40:24 RT-AX88U-26A8 scMerlin: Mounting scMerlin WebUI page as user6.asp

admin@RT-AX88U-26A8:/tmp# grep spdMerlin syslog.log
Dec 3 16:23:13 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:23:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 8 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:25:00 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: NTP synced, spdMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:28:21 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 1 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:28:36 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Lock file found (age: 16 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Dec 3 16:30:10 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: NTP synced, spdMerlin will now continue
Dec 3 16:35:07 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Mounting spdMerlin WebUI page as user4.asp
Dec 3 16:40:12 RT-AX88U-26A8 spdMerlin: Mounting spdMerlin WebUI page as user5.asp

Timing issue? I can try to reduce the sleep if you want.
Is services-start being called before each log file? I'm thinking moving things to post-mount might be safer since entware is a requirement

Is services-start being called before each log file? I'm thinking moving things to post-mount might be safer since entware is a requirement
@JGrana It's interesting there's no message about entware being found, so that suggests it's available after the ntp sync so doesn't have to wait and print a message. I've just fixed that in spdMerlin develop
Can you post a syslog output including spdmerlin, services-start and service-event please? The latter 2 are the only places that call spdmerlin (outside of cron)

It appears services-start is only called once, at least that what my trace shows:
(also note how the output from date looks. Its not until much later that the date/time is correct.

Trace started Sat May 5 01:05:12 DST 2018
Trace complete to: setbashrc
Trace complete to: MountNAS
Trace complete to: rpzupdate
Trace complete to: Update cache
Trace complete to: root-servers
Trace complete to: flexqos
calling delayed addons Sat May 5 01:05:12 DST 2018
Trace completed Sat May 5 01:05:12 DST 2018
Addon Trace started Thu Dec 3 17:15:28 EST 2020
Trace complete to: connmon
Trace complete to: ntpmerlin
Trace complete to: uiScribe
Trace complete to: scmerlin
Trace complete to: spdmerlin
Addon Trace completed Thu Dec 3 17:15:28 EST 2020

As far as moving to post-mount - easy enough for me to try. I already have your scripts setup in a separate file. I will just call it from post-mount (and remove the sleep 30).

Back shortly ;-)

It appears services-start is only called once, at least that what my trace shows:
(also note how the output from date looks. Its not until much later that the date/time is correct.

Trace started Sat May 5 01:05:12 DST 2018
calling delayed addons Sat May 5 01:05:12 DST 2018
Trace completed Sat May 5 01:05:12 DST 2018
Addon Trace started Thu Dec 3 17:15:28 EST 2020
Addon Trace completed Thu Dec 3 17:15:28 EST 2020

As far as moving to post-mount - easy enough for me to try. I already have your scripts setup in a separate file. I will just call it from post-mount (and remove the sleep 30).

Back shortly ;-)
what about service-event? something is causing my scripts to run multiple times and trip over each other :(

Good news, moving to post-mount worked. All Addons showing.

I only see one service-start run. I can add some tracing to service-event.

BTW, here is the trace from the successful run

Trace started Sat May 5 01:05:13 DST 2018
calling delayed addons Sat May 5 01:05:13 DST 2018
Trace completed Sat May 5 01:05:13 DST 2018
Addon Trace started Thu Dec 3 17:41:04 EST 2020
Addon Trace completed Thu Dec 3 17:41:04 EST 2020

One more thing I should have mentioned. When I first started having this problem (moving from Alpha 2 to Alpha 4) the "Addons" on the left column often did not show the wrench and guage icon. Just "Addons". Not sure this is significant but wanted to mention it.

Last edited:
One more thing I should have mentioned. When I first started having this problem (moving from Alpha 2 to Alpha 4) the "Addons" on the left column often did not show the wrench and guage icon. Just "Addons". Not sure this is significant but wanted to mention it.
could be caching - that icon is provided by the shared-jy directory
spdMerlin develop branch now launches from post-mount, and should only run if the partition being mounted contains entware. can you test for me please?

i would try myself but the wife wouldn't be happy if I pull the network down for a reboot/usb re-plug :D

Unfortunately it's Netflix time here... I will test bright and early

Should I still launch the others from post-mount or out them back in servicrs-start?

Unfortunately it's Netflix time here... I will test bright and early

Should I still launch the others from post-mount or out them back in servicrs-start?
Up to you for the others, I'm going to work on updating everything to move across once I'm happy with the new code

Hi Jack,
The new spdmerlin seems to fix it up.

I ran uf and saw it added the startup to services-start. I removed it from post-mount and left connmon, ntpmerlin and scmerlin in post-mount.

Reboot - all Addons in place.

I then moved the other 3 into services-start (after spdmerlin) and again, after reboot all Addons started and show up.

Look good.

Hi Jack,
The new spdmerlin seems to fix it up.

I ran uf and saw it added the startup to services-start. I removed it from post-mount and left connmon, ntpmerlin and scmerlin in post-mount.

Reboot - all Addons in place.

I then moved the other 3 into services-start (after spdmerlin) and again, after reboot all Addons started and show up.

Look good.
well that's not expected, the others should still be broken!

well that's not expected, the others should still be broken!
OOOps, sorry, I was still also starting the others in post-mount. My apologies for sending you down a rat hole!

Ok, I absolutely removed the post-mount actions. Put them all back in services-start.
Rebooted

And...

The only one that started up was spdmerlin (and Unbound that always start).
Happy now ;-)

I ssh'd in and started the following manually:

usScribe
ntpmerlin
connmom
scmerlin

They all started and are showing up in the Addons area.

Seems like a timing problem eh?

@Jack Yaz , this thread title is incorrect... This issue started appearing on 386.1 alpha... Should we move to a new thread?

Wondering if it's a nvram issue? I had the same problem, router locked up, missing addons, nothing in syslog, and reboot didn't clear the issue. I rebooted a 2nd time and saw the USB wasn't mounting. I unplugged for about 5 mins and pulled the USB, then let the router fully boot and plugged in the USB and then all the addons came back. I was reading the syslog and saw everything loading up ok, so I went back to the gui and all was back to normal.

Whatever the issue is it isn't getting picked up in the syslog, also it seems the wlceventd.log isn't being generated its not in the /opt/var/log directory even though my syslog setting is set to 7 (for debug)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!