What's new

384.18 to 386.4_0 upgrade on RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spartan77777

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I am currently using Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18 on RT-AC88U, which is getting really long in the tooth. Like to move to 386.4 but not certain if I can apply it directly or if there is a procedure I need to follow due to the difference between the source and target versions.
Also, Would I be able to retain my customizations in doing so?
Thanks.

Frankly, you couldn't get me to do a dirty upgrade from the immediately prior firmware to the present, let alone a firmware that old. LOTS of things have changed, including the introduction of the VPN Director, the handling of static routes, etc. In fact, some things have required conversion code that hasn't always worked well. So AFAIC, I strongly recommend a clean upgrade. Make a backup of your current config first so you can always go back to the old firmware and restore from that backup. But do NOT use that backup to restore to the new firmware! That completely defeats the purpose of doing a clean upgrade.

Thanks eibgrad. I guess being this far behind, I will have to be willing to bite the bullet and redo the configuration.
I have a few questions on going with a full reinstall/reconfigure.
1. I t this a direct upgrade in the conventional AUS upgrade of pushing the bin file or do I need to take any extra measures.
2. Following the pre-upgrade backups, I plan to do a factory reset before the upgrade and another one immediately after the upgrade. Is this the recommended approach?
3. Is my JFFS partition will be reusable from a backup or do I have to reconfigure all that from scratch as well.
Thanks.

1. If you mean via the GUI, yes.
2. Yes.
3. Make a back of your JFFS as well. I don't recall if the upgrade messes w/ /jffs, or just leaves it be. But as long as you have a backup, you can always restore /jffs fully or partially.

As already written, it is a MAJOR update from your present firmware to the 386.4.

I feel you; it takes a lot of time to configure the router from scratch, if you reset it, but you will have to do it if you want to have the stable router afterwards. Just upload and upgrade the firmware via GUI and wait some time for the router to settle down. After upgrading do the factory reset. DO NOT upload the old backup to the new firmware!

More info here:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!