What's new

386.1 Wifi time scheduling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davelian

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Do you guys manage to get work Parental Control TIME SCHEDULING in 386.1?

I'm using AC86U and can't get to work time scheduling. Try to find NAT Acceleration but can't find IN LAN ===> Switch Control ---> No NAT Acceleration there.

Nope, still broken, even with NAT accelereation off, at least on RT-AC68U.
I do have this tab, if you can't see it, try accessing it via time restriction page, clicking on a link in the warning message.

I have the same problem on my RT-AX86U: only web access is blocked. I think the time scheduler is a functionality with few users. Nobody seems to pay much attention to this problem ...

Reactions: Civ
Brand new doesn't mean it is in a good/known state. :)

After flashing the firmware, you want to use/test, perform a full M&M Config. That is the only way to know it is.

Brand new doesn't mean it is in a good/known state. :)

After flashing the firmware, you want to use/test, perform a full M&M Config. That is the only way to know it is.
Thanks for your help. I think @RMerlin know the issue. If this problem is in my router, shouldn’t able to used this feature in 384.19. But T.S working perfectly in that version but Not in latest version.

I never said the issue is your router. The issue may be that flashing from the 384.xx codebase to the 386.1 codebase without doing a full reset is not allowing the new firmware to use the defaults it expects. Both 'visible' defaults, and 'under the hood' defaults that the code depends/runs on.

RMerlin states that a full reset may be required, depending on how your router behaves after flashing to the latest firmware. No point bothering him until you do so.

I was doing full reset, including initialization, and testing this feature before doing any other changes - didn't work on either b4, b5 or final release. The device blok works, but not the per hour scheduling.
The last firmware it's working fine on is 384.19.

Being that feature is Asus code and not Merlin's, flash the latest official firmware or beta(whichever has the newest GPL) and test. If your issues are still there, report it to Asus as they are the only ones that can fix it if it's broken,

After reading this thread, I tested my AC86U, and its not working for me either for most sites, however, I did see it block one site, I think that may have been a non-https site. Also, the "Block" feature works.

We will wait and see in another beta if they will fixed or not. Need to reversed back to 384.19
I'm running two new AX86u as router and mesh node first on 386 beta1 and now 386 final release. Time schedule has never worked at all on this setup. Everything else has works very well.

I just made some test on my old AC86U with 384.19 and 386.1 toggling back and forth with and without hard reset several times. Same result every time: time schedule works perfectly on 384.19 not at all on 386.1.

When on 386.1 devices say they have no internet access but they do!
On and android phone (Onplus7) the icons at top indicate no internet access and on the WiFi setup page it says no internet access (it even point me to a fancy ASUS web page saying something like: your router has blocked you from internet and you need to change time schedule settings) but I do have 100% working access (mobile data was turned off).
On a Lan cable attached laptop (with WiFI turned off) Firefox indicate no internet access on top of page but again have 100% working internet.
In the device list on the router webpage the time scheduled devices has the "no internet access" icon.
Manually blocking devices works.

When on 384.19 just can't reach anything on internet, devices say nothing.

This is to bad I like the new time schedule setup with 1 min time resolution instead of the older 1 hour..
It is a bit strange no one at ASUS haven't noted this bug.

Last edited:
Hi,

Do you guys manage to get work Parental Control TIME SCHEDULING in 386.1?

I'm using AC86U and can't get to work time scheduling. Try to find NAT Acceleration but can't find IN LAN ===> Switch Control ---> No NAT Acceleration there.
It is working as well as it ever did for me on my RT-AX88U. Although it was broken in b4b, it was back to normal in beta5 and still works in 386.1.

I haven't sniffed the wire but from watching the pattern it seems to block DNS requests rather than cutting all active traffic flows when the timer trips over.

My sons Xboxes will continue the game session they are in until that one completes. But they cannot join any follow-up sessions. Say they are in a Battle Royale, that will complete when their avatar gets killed and they will not be able to re-join or re-start whilst the timer is blocking them. Its a similar story with being mid-game in Rocket League.

I quite like this effect as it means they don't simply get chopped off in mid action.

It is working as well as it ever did for me on my RT-AX88U. Although it was broken in b4b, it was back to normal in beta5 and still works in 386.1.

I haven't sniffed the wire but from watching the pattern it seems to block DNS requests rather than cutting all active traffic flows when the timer trips over.

My sons Xboxes will continue the game session they are in until that one completes. But they cannot join any follow-up sessions. Say they are in a Battle Royale, that will complete when their avatar gets killed and they will not be able to re-join or re-start whilst the timer is blocking them. Its a similar story with being mid-game in Rocket League.

I quite like this effect as it means they don't simply get chopped off in mid action.
Well maybe only our device AC86U is not working properly.

Get the same result on my ax86u an OnePlus 7. If log on to WiFi with time scheduled I get auto directed the below webpage.
You can see the icons on top indicateing no internet.
I am writing and posting this reply still seeing the no internet access..

Screenshot_20210202-210124.jpg

I just made some test on my old AC86U with 384.19 and 386.1 toggling back and forth with and without hard reset several times. Same result every time: time schedule works perfectly on 384.19 not at all on 386.1.
That doesn't mean anything unless you know for certain that 384.19 and 386.1 use identical variables and defaults. Not doing a factory reset AFTER flashing new firmware is a bit like filling up your new car with fuel from your old car: it works fine as long as the new car expects the same fuel, but if it expects Diesel and your old car is gasoline you're going to have a problem. You could switch back and forth between the cars and say "this fuel works fine in my other car, so the problem can't be the fuel," and that wouldn't be accurate.

That doesn't mean anything unless you know for certain that 384.19 and 386.1 use identical variables and defaults. Not doing a factory reset AFTER flashing new firmware is a bit like filling up your new car with fuel from your old car: it works fine as long as the new car expects the same fuel, but if it expects Diesel and your old car is gasoline you're going to have a problem. You could switch back and forth between the cars and say "this fuel works fine in my other car, so the problem can't be the fuel," and that wouldn't be accurate.
As I wrote it did not make any difference if just made "dirty" update or WPS button hard reset method 2.
And just using defaults except only turning on parental control time sceduling.
I have been using several different Asus routers for 4-5 years now always working time sceduling.
Only with 386.1 no longer working.
As you can see in my reply above my phone think it doesn't have internet. Even now when making this reply.
Screenshot_20210202-212759.jpg

So, you're using the 'app' to do this? Does it work when using a browser on a PC?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!