What's new

386.10 on AC86U losing all 2.4Ghz devices (seemed to be fixed in 386.9.0)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had to check my Amazon order history earlier to remember when I ordered the router which was November 30, 2017. As I mentioned in a previous post I do have a fan blowing on the back of the router since May 9, 2022 (again checking Amazon order history). At the moment I have no need to upgrade my router as this router is serving my needs quite well. I do have my old AC68U on the ready as a temporary backup solution should the 86U fail and I need to purchase a new router. Current router temperatures in my ~75 degree F (24 C) room are: 2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 68°C
Alright - it makes perfect sense now. It became hot in May 2022, you put a fan on it. Looks like temperatures is a really good parameter to track through time.

A quick google search for "asus ac86u thermal pads" reveals several guides, including on this forum.

Unfortunately no videos showing the teardown, but I think the pictures will do (Maybe some of you could make one?). Just make sure to order the correct thermal pad thickness (mentioned in said guides)

This would be the prudent thing to do if you have thermal issues, and gives a long term satisfactory solution. Remember, the AC86U will be relevant for years to come - after its useful life as a main router it will also serve as a perfectly good Aimesh node. (the day Asus drops the support for their AC routers, I'm out)

I remember this router showing about 75-80C CPU in 25C room. 90C is high whatever the reason is. 100C is the thermal protection threshold.

thanks!
Code:
fanctrl_info = ;curr_cpuTemp = "90.044";curr_rxData = fanctrl_info[3];curr_coreTmp_2 = fanctrl_info[1];curr_coreTmp_5 = fanctrl_info[2];

is this high?

Yes, too high. See this, and posts above and below:

Somebody had a 70C router switch by itself to 90C router - probably aging. I have a fan on the back of mine, right side where the cpu board is. I drilled out cpu fan holes a bit, stuck in these magnets:

Router has steel washers taped to it, so the magnets latch onto the washers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!