What's new

3g Failover help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

harpie

New Around Here
I would like to set up a very specific 3g failover system. Just wondering what my options are here to achieve this.

I have a dual WAN and 3G Draytek 2820VN as my ADSL modem.

My problem is I don't want it to fail over to 3g and find that someone has been heavily downloading. Unfortunately the Draytk doesn't allow for independent throttling in failover to 3G.

Is there a simple way of limiting the access when in 3g mode and not limiting when in ADSL mode? I want access limited to basic browsing and no you tube, streaming or downloading but only in 3g mode.
I also need a warning when the fail-over occur eg an email or sms. It will occur very rarely as the ADSL connection is very stable. Its just nice to have a backup.

There will be around 6 users.

The router is a PROCURVE SWITCH 1800-24G
http://www.procurve.com/products/switches/HP_ProCurve_Switch_1800_Series/overview.htm

What would be the simplest way to set something like this set up without having to purchase $1000+ routers?

I had the crazy idea of doing something like this .

If I get a dual wan router with auto failover.
Can i plug in a DSL modem to one wan and a 3g modem that has been throttled into the second wan? So that if the ADSL fails the failover would kick in but throttled?

Is this in any way sensible?
Can I use a 3g modem and throttle it, then plug it into the second wan on the router.

Say I bought 2 x 2820 VN's, One has the adsl connection plugged in, and the second has the 3g modem only plugged in with settings to throttle it, Can I then plug in the 3g 2820VN into the 2nd WAN port of the 1st 2820?