What's new

3x3? - 2x3? - 300Mbps? - 450Mbps? - HUH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theoak

Regular Contributor
Okay ... there is Intel's wireless laptop adapter 5300 that claims 450 Mbps using 3x3 antennas.

My question is this ... do not most modern routers use 3x3? Why then are then not advertising 450Mbps versus just 300Mbps on their routers?

Am I missing something?

Educate me please :eek:

( My first post ... try to be nice ;) )

Current generation of routers are at most two stream models. Some Atheros-based routers have three transmitters\receivers, but are still two stream designs. Progress is being made on bringing three stream\450 Mbps devices to market; Marvell and Ralink had three stream reference designs pass Wi-Fi certification earlier this month.

Okay ... I don't "need" to go "N", but was considering it ... I may wait till next spring then and see what comes out.

Thanks ...

Here's your answer. ;)

Found this in a blog! :D

So it's not just "ripping off the Draft before the N" that still carry Draft 2.0 branding, which is what a lot of people thought, including some "professionals" who even wrote about it. We haven't even seen any truly certified 802.11n equipment yet! I'll probably go back to the Atheros brand. Maybe the "Intel Ultimate WiFi 5300".

Atheros XSPAN has served me extremely well, and still does, in my Thinkpad T60p. Dual-band, and Dual-concurrent using both the 2.4, and 5.2GHz bands w/ Full MIMO Configuration is what we're going to want for insane speeds, up to 600Mbps. Then there are all the other goodies! ;)

Oh, and here goes the new logo (alright, it's just a little modified, but still lol)...

WiFi_N.jpg

Enjoy the read. :)

The Wi-Fi Alliance has begun product testing for its Wi-Fi Certified N program, updating its two-year-old 802.11n draft 2.0 program. Along with it comes a colorful new logo, taglines and labeling info.

The updated program adds testing for some popular optional features now more widely available in Wi-Fi equipment.

Those include:

* Test support for simultaneous transmission of up to three spatial streams
* Packet aggregation (A-MPDU), to make data transfers more efficient
* Space-time Block Coding (STBC), a multiple-antenna encoding technique to improve reliability in some environments
* Channel coexistence measures for “good neighbor” behavior when using 40 MHz operation in the 2.4 GHz band

Along with canning the word “draft,” devices can now be designated “Wi-Fi CERTIFIED dual-stream n” or “Wi-Fi CERTIFIED multi-stream n” to indicate that they have passed tests for specific performance-enhancing features.

Here’s who gets the shiny new accreditation first:

* Atheros XSPAN Dual-band 2.4/5GHz PCIe MiniCard for Computing Designs, Full MIMO Configuration
* Atheros XSPAN Dual-band, Dual-concurrent 2.4/5GHz, Gigabit Reference Platform for AP/Routers, Full MIMO configuration
* Broadcom Intensifi Dual-Band 802.11n Client Reference Design
* Broadcom Intensifi XLR Dual-Band 802.11n Router Reference Design
* Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
* Marvell SmartTM Wi-Fi 802.11n 3×3 450 Mbps Dual-Band Access Point
* Ralink 3×3 AP

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!