What's new

3x3 vs 2x2 WAP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gweezer

New Around Here
I’m looking to move to a WAP / wired router setup for a more stealth installation. I currently have the TP-LINK AC1750 and a 200/20 internet service. I’ve been researching the concepts and options and last night did one more round of benchmarking the current setup with our main wireless clients, a 2015 MBP and a 2016 Lenovo Yoga 2in1. The MBP was consistently outperforming the Yoga almost 2 to 1…averaging 130Mbs to 70Mbs on speedtest.net and dslreports speed test when it hit me…the MBP must be a 3x3 device while the Yoga is only a 2x2….right? Since the MBP gets used much more then the Yoga, I need to (should) get a 3x3 WAP. Is this correct?

Thanks Tim. Any recommendations on one? I know you just completed the 2x2 AC roundup, should I just look for products from the top vendors in that article?

My only recommendation is skip the Linksys APs. Overpriced.

Don't assume anything about 3x3 performance from 2x2 results.

did one more round of benchmarking the current setup with our main wireless clients, a 2015 MBP and a 2016 Lenovo Yoga 2in1. The MBP was consistently outperforming the Yoga almost 2 to 1…averaging 130Mbs to 70Mbs on speedtest.net and dslreports speed test when it hit me…the MBP must be a 3x3 device while the Yoga is only a 2x2

Your AP is a 3-stream device, as is your MacBook Pro - the Yoga is a great device, but the WiFi adapter is a two stream...

I don't see any need to change things...

Maybe you just need to move the TP-Link (or the AP you get) to a better location -- or supplement with an additional AP. Even 2x2 AC should be able to max out your Internet connection if you have good coverage and aren't too far from the AP. I have 2nd gen eeros, and my iPhones and iPads can all get > 300Mbps. They're 2x2, I believe. My Macbook Pro (3x3) can get close to 600Mbps. As I move further away from the APs, those speeds obviously degrade, but I still get close to 100-200Mbps at a minimum.

With a router like an Airport Extreme or Netgear R7000 (both 3x3, I believe), the Macbook Pro can sometimes get up to 700-800Mbps. But that requires VERY close proximity to the AP and isn't very consistent.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info....

Yes, I know that performance wise there won't be much of a difference, but this is more about getting the router and modem out of the living space (it will now be in the basement) and with ceiling mounting I can get the WAP closer to where we actually consume the wifi.

Yes it is a 3x3 device but I don't think you need to throw out your yoga. Yoga is an excellent 2x2 device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!