What's new

4 Major complaints with my new RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob-1000

New Around Here
Hello All,
I'm new to Asuswrt Merlin.

With having just purchased a RT-AX88U, I'm left very frustrated with it coming soooo close to being a fully functioning internet content monitoring device.

After getting NO answers from Asus support, I'd like to ask the community...
Are there any solutions to the Asus UI's shortcomings in Asuswrt-Merlin?

Here's a few of my main issues
--------------------
1) AI Parental Controls - No email alerts!!

Or alert of any kind when someone attempts access to blocked content.
Note: As email alerts already exist for AI Network Protection, you'd think it would be trivial to send out an alert when blocked content is triggered. After much researching on here, I know that AI stuff is locked down by TrendMicro. But... what about the AI Parental Control Log files. Could Merlin get access to those log files? I would be very happy just to get the Log files and see who's been blocked on what.

2) Blocking MAC address of Guest User - Doesn't work.
I tested this with my own phone. With a Lyra Trio setup as an Access Point, Guest Users are immune from being blocked. I have tried blocking my MAC address at the Router level and at the Lyra AP Level. Nada.

3) Web History - Missing Button (Download Log File)
In 1 week it generates 300 pages of log files. It is beyond tedious to try and wade thru 300 pages within the routers UI to find and abusive user. It would make sooo much more sense to download a log file into Excell and search thru it.

4) AI MESH mode - Guest Wifi gets DISABLED on the Lyra Trio once put into AIMesh mode.
This completely defeats the purpose for which I bought it.
Can anyone help with re-enabling it?
----------------------

I'm curious to know if anyone else out there has run into the same 4 complaints.
Thanks for reading,
Rob

1: No.
2: Technical limitation of using a Mesh, Master router has no control over clients connected to nodes
3: It's a sqlite database, there's already a script on the forums here that allows you to parse its content
4: Guest mode is not supported by Mesh network, same reason as 2.

Hello All,
I'm new to Asuswrt Merlin.

With having just purchased a RT-AX88U, I'm left very frustrated with it coming soooo close to being a fully functioning internet content monitoring device.

After getting NO answers from Asus support, I'd like to ask the community...
Are there any solutions to the Asus UI's shortcomings in Asuswrt-Merlin?

Here's a few of my main issues
--------------------
1) AI Parental Controls - No email alerts!!

Or alert of any kind when someone attempts access to blocked content.
Note: As email alerts already exist for AI Network Protection, you'd think it would be trivial to send out an alert when blocked content is triggered. After much researching on here, I know that AI stuff is locked down by TrendMicro. But... what about the AI Parental Control Log files. Could Merlin get access to those log files? I would be very happy just to get the Log files and see who's been blocked on what.

2) Blocking MAC address of Guest User - Doesn't work.
I tested this with my own phone. With a Lyra Trio setup as an Access Point, Guest Users are immune from being blocked. I have tried blocking my MAC address at the Router level and at the Lyra AP Level. Nada.

3) Web History - Missing Button (Download Log File)
In 1 week it generates 300 pages of log files. It is beyond tedious to try and wade thru 300 pages within the routers UI to find and abusive user. It would make sooo much more sense to download a log file into Excell and search thru it.

4) AI MESH mode - Guest Wifi gets DISABLED on the Lyra Trio once put into AIMesh mode.
This completely defeats the purpose for which I bought it.
Can anyone help with re-enabling it?
----------------------

I'm curious to know if anyone else out there has run into the same 4 complaints.
Thanks for reading,
Rob
Have you loaded the Merlin firmware and done the reset after it ?

Guest WiFi is not supported on Asus, if you enable it on nodes via SSH (same for Aimesh and AP-mode) they will have full access as the router wont see any difference to users on main-SSID.
Only way is to use a separate WiFi-repeater for guests connected to guest-WiFi of main router.