What's new

4G Failover help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JonBigTelly

New Around Here
Hi,

Am running an ASUS AC88U which is connected to GFast BT Line.
The connection drops at random times and will not reconnect unless I reboot, most
of my home is Smart and this causes issues if I am out at work or away on holiday.

I bought a HuaweiE3372 USB Stick and a Three Sim, can get this to work plugged
directly into a Mac or PC but no dice when plugged into the AC88U just says connection
not enabled.

I have now purchased aTP-Link TL-MR6400 Router which I was hoping to connect to the Ewan
port and put in Bridge mode but have now found out does not support Bridge Mode.

Any ideas how to set this up so that I can remotely reboot Router ?

Am thinking of buying a Smart Plug and connecting that to the MR6400 so that I can just reboot
that way but guess must be a neater way of doing this.

Cheers in advance for any help. Jon

Hi,

Am running an ASUS AC88U which is connected to GFast BT Line.
The connection drops at random times and will not reconnect unless I reboot, most
of my home is Smart and this causes issues if I am out at work or away on holiday.

I bought a HuaweiE3372 USB Stick and a Three Sim, can get this to work plugged
directly into a Mac or PC but no dice when plugged into the AC88U just says connection
not enabled.

I have now purchased aTP-Link TL-MR6400 Router which I was hoping to connect to the Ewan
port and put in Bridge mode but have now found out does not support Bridge Mode.

Any ideas how to set this up so that I can remotely reboot Router ?

Am thinking of buying a Smart Plug and connecting that to the MR6400 so that I can just reboot
that way but guess must be a neater way of doing this.

Cheers in advance for any help. Jon

Not really sure what you are asking?
Do you need help with dual WAN for ethernet and 4G or help with why your router does not reestablish WAN?

E3772 works with latest Asus firmware without issue when it is setup correct.
I assume that your E3772 is in Hilink mode, i.e. the 4G stick works as a router when it is plugged into your computer.
What is Gateway (IP-adress) of your E3772 when plugged into your computer? Is it 192.168.8.1 or 192.168.1.1?
The Gateway may not be the same as your router. If so, just change the Gateway of your router under LAN and it will work.

Not really sure what you are asking?
Do you need help with dual WAN for ethernet and 4G or help with why your router does not reestablish WAN?

E3772 works with latest Asus firmware without issue when it is setup correct.
I assume that your E3772 is in Hilink mode, i.e. the 4G stick works as a router when it is plugged into your computer.
What is Gateway (IP-adress) of your E3772 when plugged into your computer? Is it 192.168.8.1 or 192.168.1.1?
The Gateway may not be the same as your router. If so, just change the Gateway of your router under LAN and it will work.

Hi Salles, In a perfect world the router would not disconnect and if it did would reconnect itself.
As I can find no reason why it randomly disconnects I set it to auto reboot overnight as my entire house requires Internet connection for lighting, TV etc but this is causing issues with my Smart DNS and still does not eliminate a disconnection early morning which would leave the house without internet the entire day/night until reboot.
This led me to attempt Failover with 4g so that I could log into router remotely reboot and get the GFast connection up and running again.
I am 100% sure you are correct with the IP range it was 192.168.8.1 when connected to my daughters Mac (the only device that worked as my mac has newer OS and did not detect it as a modem) did not realise that had to be in same range as my router to work as Failover. Can I change the range for the USB stick or do I have to change the ASUS range ?
This would mean a lot of work as I have dozens of devices with fixed ip Addresses.
The new mini router I bought has an IP range which can be changed but would have to be plugged in via EWAN or just a WAN connection is this an option or am I over complicating things ?
Really appreciate the help or any ideas how to make sure my house has connectivity at all times.

Best Jon

Hi Salles, In a perfect world the router would not disconnect and if it did would reconnect itself.
As I can find no reason why it randomly disconnects I set it to auto reboot overnight as my entire house requires Internet connection for lighting, TV etc but this is causing issues with my Smart DNS and still does not eliminate a disconnection early morning which would leave the house without internet the entire day/night until reboot.
This led me to attempt Failover with 4g so that I could log into router remotely reboot and get the GFast connection up and running again.
I am 100% sure you are correct with the IP range it was 192.168.8.1 when connected to my daughters Mac (the only device that worked as my mac has newer OS and did not detect it as a modem) did not realise that had to be in same range as my router to work as Failover. Can I change the range for the USB stick or do I have to change the ASUS range ?
This would mean a lot of work as I have dozens of devices with fixed ip Addresses.
The new mini router I bought has an IP range which can be changed but would have to be plugged in via EWAN or just a WAN connection is this an option or am I over complicating things ?
Really appreciate the help or any ideas how to make sure my house has connectivity at all times.

Best Jon

I see. It does seem that your router is not in its best state if WAN does not return without a restart :(.
However. I assume you do not want to do a factory reset just yet so lets work with what you have.
What does you log say when you loose the internet?

You are ok with the IP adresses. The gateway must not be the same.
The stick uses 192.168.8.1 and your router uses 192.168.1.1.

The router should automatically detect the stick. I did a 4G stick setup this weekend at my parents in law with the E3772.
Try switching to USB as primary WAN to see if the stick works. Check the log for 4G modem, Hilink and WAN to see if it is connecting or not.
Delete sim card pin if you have one.

Which firmware are you using? Try upgrading to latest firmware.

Thanks again Salles, Just checked firmware is 1.10.06 build 591 think that's the latest one available. When I plug the USB stick in the router recognises it as a Huawei 3g/4g modem. I did previously try and make that the primary connection and it would not connect. I will plug it back in shortly and check the logs. As usual with these things the router has not disconnected in the last day or so. But I have rebooted it at times to test things.
Just plugged the USB in and checked logs this may answer the issue.

Sep 3 21:23:46 DSL-AC88U user.err ltecommander[1754]: scanUsbBusMudulesInsert:589:ltecommander: No Dongle found

Even though on my network map it shows HUAWEI_MOBILE HUAWEI_MOBILE under the USB 3.0 section and a picture of a 3g router

If I then go to USB application, 3G/4G it takes me to the USB Modem set up page but I have very few options
Wan Type selected USB says (not active)
APN Service (filled in three.co.uk)
Dial Number tried blank and *99
Pin Code
Username
Password
Username to login dongle
Password to login dongle

Should I have filled these in ?

Thanks again for the help Jon

Last edited:
Thanks again Salles, Just checked firmware is 1.10.06 build 591 think that's the latest one available. When I plug the USB stick in the router recognises it as a Huawei 3g/4g modem. I did previously try and make that the primary connection and it would not connect. I will plug it back in shortly and check the logs. As usual with these things the router has not disconnected in the last day or so. But I have rebooted it at times to test things. Will be back with results. How long do the logs go back ? Trying to work out how to access the long term ones. Cheers again Jon

Good luck.
The log is reset when the router reboots.