What's new

5.0 GHz Channels in the UK

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
I am based in the UK and have 2 AX routers bought in late 2019. As such only Band A & B were made available, in line with the EU/UK rules then applying. Since mid 2020, the UK authorities have opened up Band C (channels 149-165) and this does not require DFS (only TPC).

Where I live the non-DFS channels are very crowded and I would like to use the upper channels but the DFS ones are only intermittently available (typically I use 160MHz on channel 100) which can be stable for up to 10 days then get reset. Although the Band C channels are technically available (in the sense that the same routers have them enabled elsewhere in the world) and they are now permitted under UK law, what are the options for using them

1. Will Asus be providing an update for UK users of existing equipment to access channels and if not, why not?

2. Do new ASUS AX (or other routers) sold in the UK now offer these channels?
  • if yes, which routers include this?
  • if no, why are they not included?

1. You'll have to ask Asus that.

2. Not that I'm aware of. The RT-AX86U that I bought in June 2021 is still the same as before (i.e. an EU model).

ASUS might update the available channels in a new firmware.
For e.g. the RT-N66U the EU channels where suddenly added mid 2014.

For what it's worth, I find channel 64 rock solid, no one else with regular routers can get on it. I also live near an airport and still works fine.

Just an FYI:

If you have Virgin Media TIVO/v6 connected to WiFi - it can only deal up to channel 48. Anything over and it doesnt see the WiFi. I tried because I like mine in an isolated WiFi rather than unrestricted LAN port.

Just an FYI:

If you have Virgin Media TIVO/v6 connected to WiFi - it can only deal up to channel 48. Anything over and it doesnt see the WiFi. I tried because I like mine in an isolated WiFi rather than unrestricted LAN port.
My Tivo V6 is currently connected on 116/80 with no problems.

My Tivo V6 is currently connected on 116/80 with no problems.

On the AX86U and 160mhz also active, mine won't connect. Two of these routers in different locations, with two different TIVO boxes. I tried various channels over 48. This was on Merlins firmware, but was the firmware just before the latest one.

I'll try again and see if Asus had changed anything when Merlin just updated the firmware.