What's new

5 Things To Know Before You Buy A Draft 11ax Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@thiggins - looking forward - 11ax and legacy devices and overlapping BSS's - should be opportunities for interesting test cases to see what the impact will be - little to none, or will 11ax dominate the channel to the negative impact of the legacy clients and adjacent networks, similar to previous concerns about LTE-LAA and Multifire...

To make things worst, I believe the industry is working on the 5G NR of LAA and Multifire.....
Yep, more noisy neighbour and channels.

And I am worry 802.11ax will be the biggest mess in Wireless tech. Those 2200 comments in Draft 3.0? they were the same 2200 comments in Draft 2.0. So why did Draft 2.0 failed miserably and Draft 3.0 passed with flying colours? Those vendors needs new revenue stream, and they need it ASAP. They cant wait anymore. They will fix it post 1.0 as long as they are software solvable.

And those vendors, are ones in the Densi-Fi sub group. They also manage to delete all mention of Densifi in 802.11ax Wiki.

Last edited:
11ax_teaser.png
The first draft 11ax routers are almost here. Take a little time to know what you might be buying into.

Read on SmallNetBuilder
As .ax come, .ac price will come down.....good time to extend you aimesh.....:)

To make things worst, I believe the industry is working on the 5G NR of LAA and Multifire.....
Yep, more noisy neighbour and channels.

It's more than you know, and can possibly consider... LAA/Multifire is going to happen, but that's 5GHz only from an 802.11 perspective...

One of the issues with 802.16e, and a fair amount of study on this, was the interaction of the 802.16e scheduled MAC in shared space with 802.11 - 16e basically bogarted the channel... This was similar to the Google and other objections to LTE in unlicensed spectrum - once a scheduled MAC gets ahold of a channel, it basically owns it... and the 802.11 traffic suffered big time...

bogart - To keep something all for oneself, thus depriving anyone else of having any. A slang term derived from the last name of famous actor Humphrey Bogart because he often kept a cigarette in the corner of his mouth, seemingly never actually drawing on it or smoking it. Often used with weed or joints but can be applied to anything.

11ax in this respect is no different than LTE-LAA/MultiFire or 16e - and 11ax is both ISM and UNII bands... unlike 11ac as IEEE intended...

It'll take a while perhaps, as devices go through life cycle upgrades - but eventually, legacy equipment is going to starve for bandwidth, and it's going to be a lot worse than a congested 802.11 b/g/n/ac network as we know it.

11g/n got along ok, 11b legacy often caused issues, but 11b aged out fairly quickly, mostly due to the WEP/WPA transition where many 11b STA's couldn't make that jump -

11 a/n/ac - has and current does get along very well...

The issue now is that we have a tremendous amount of 11n/11ac gear, and 11ax is going to be fairly disruptive - not at first, but over time, it will...

AX is the next big magic word that means nothing. It's a distraction to keep us from talking about 5G and an attempt to save WiFi from going the way of the Dinosaurs . . . I went from AX back to AC and it made a major difference.

Just like asked above how come Draft 2.0 was a wreck and 3.0 was grand. It's not. They're just saying that. And all the pretty pictures, I've see many for gear that doesn't even exist yet. Much less we knowing how or if it even works . . . .

Excuse my ignorance, as I'm still learning about this kind of stuff.

But what exactly is AX and AC? Would be interested to know about it and its technical aspects.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!