What's new

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I desperately need to up size my home switch to at least 21 ports. Up to now I've been using a Procurve 1400-8G and it's been 100% stable and reliable, but now it's just too small. My budget is strictly limited, and so far the TL-SG1024 is the only thing I can find offering Gigabit networking at an affordable price to me.

What do you think? http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-SG1024

TP Link has an excellent rep, and the price (what $110-$120) for 24 port unmanaged switch is great.

You might want to look on e-bay for a used switch, you can find managed switches used in the same price range, but without a warranty....

Most managed switches will support QOS, link aggregation and bandwidth controls

Last edited:
I'm in New Zealand, so e-bay isn't really an option. I have been looking at second hand managed switches over here, but there are no gigabit ones in my price range.

EDIT: I've seen a D-Link DGS-1024D second hand for less than the TL-SG1024. It's just another dumb switch, but is there any reason why should consider it over the TL-SG1024?

TPLink has a better reputation, a little more exclusive (Mazda vs Honda?), but spec for spec they are the same.

I don't know the environment that you are putting the switch into, I do think you'll find the TPLink to be louder....

Netgear GS748T: How comfortable are you when it comes to configuration tasks? A managed switch is always more versatile than an unmanaged one, but not as green, or as quiet. I prefer managed over unmanaged for anything other than straight port expansion.

Last edited:
I see a lot of complaints of excessive noise and other issues with the Netgear, so it's off my list.

Louder? As far as I can tell it has no active cooling, although I can say for certain. I know the DGS-1024D has two fans.

I'm going to keep an eye on a DGS-3224TGR managed switch I just found. It's an auction though, so I have no idea whether I'll be able to afford it.

It is hard to tell, my supposition is based on the co-location of most tplink gear, data-centers. The D-Links tend to have a wider remit on location. I could be wrong on the noise.

I know I had to re-jig my media center to move the Dell managed switch into the next room because of noise.

Both the D-Link and the TPLink claim to be green.

Actually I have both the Dell switch and my SAN installed in the bedroom (constant and fixed fan volume), they generate a nice bit of white noise - which means you don't have to worry about the volume in the adjacent living room. Much better in the bedroom than with the HTPC & alike.

As long as the fan noise is not variable, you get used to it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!