What's new

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There are many smartphones, but no other important network devices such as LAN HUB, LAN Switch, modem, NAS server, WiFi client, etc. . There may not be a LOGO manufacturer at all, but it is very important that there are all available network elements (and not just WiFi connectivity).
Thanks.

That must be minor problem....
You can make them yourself.
There is a thread abut it, just search. :eek:

Thank you for your answers.

Of course I know about the possibility to add icons to the router manually - by uploading from the disk, but it is very inefficient and every icon in each router then looks different ... here it is to make everything look the same where it is used AsusWrtMerlin firmware ... when I go down three floors down in the company, there are other icons and it takes a few minutes to find out and realize it's a different router (and other icons, albeit with the same meaning).

It is also inefficient when I have to upload icons to 5 routers. Certainly it would be nice if there were a single view of the standard icon pack for all routers as the same. In other words, if I visit a friend who uses AsusWrtMerlin FW, I want to understand the icons. But a friend also uses their own uploaded icons. So I don't understand these different icons. This creates so much chaos in the administration of the unknown Asus router.

The question and the "feature reuquest" sounded a little different, and was designed mainly for the creator of the modified firmware AsusWrtMerlin - for Merlin.

Thanks.
While it may be convenient to add some basic device icons I'm not sure Merlin would want to increase the file size with unnecessary or unwanted icons. I know on another firmware file size being too large would cause the router to crash or not work. Would believe the same would be said for our units as well. I'd rather have those extra bytes be used for extra features such as DNS over TLS and such. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.....

Thank you for your answers.

Of course I know about the possibility to add icons to the router manually - by uploading from the disk, but it is very inefficient and every icon in each router then looks different ... here it is to make everything look the same where it is used AsusWrtMerlin firmware ... when I go down three floors down in the company, there are other icons and it takes a few minutes to find out and realize it's a different router (and other icons, albeit with the same meaning).

It is also inefficient when I have to upload icons to 5 routers. Certainly it would be nice if there were a single view of the standard icon pack for all routers as the same. In other words, if I visit a friend who uses AsusWrtMerlin FW, I want to understand the icons. But a friend also uses their own uploaded icons. So I don't understand these different icons. This creates so much chaos in the administration of the unknown Asus router.

The question and the "feature reuquest" sounded a little different, and was designed mainly for the creator of the modified firmware AsusWrtMerlin - for Merlin.

Thanks.

I have to agree with @QuikSilver above, the needs of the many outweigh the wants of the few. :)

I'm sure that it is not that inefficient to upload the custom icons you want to 5 routers (possibly just once), is it? ;)

The idea of visiting a friend and understanding the icons seems kind of like the opposite of what 'custom icons' are all about. :)

Don't know if that would work (I don't use the network map), but try this from your primary router:

Code:
scp /jffs/usericon/*  admin@otherrouter_address:/jffs/usericon/

I have no plan to add more icons to the firmware itself. First reason is the waste of flash space and development resource (it's not just a matter of copying a few files to a folder), second reason is for licensing reasons (you cannot just redistribute randomly downloaded icons into your own product without either an explicit licence such as GPL/Common Creative/etc... or some other form of permission from its original author).

Really ? Single PNG file size is about 10-30 kB. So, multiply it 5x - 10x mean cca 300 kB. The firmware standard filesize is about 20-50 MB (according to router models).

I've done my own script, as Merlin's firmware doesn't have this feature. After installing Merlin firmware, the script automatically adds and also assigns the necessary icons to the devices according to groups of different MAC addresses for the devices used in the company.

If Merlin doesn't want to make it easier for administrators to do so, they have to make it easy for them to do it :). It was just a suggestion for improvement. Either the option to add the entire package with a pre-set table of MAC address groups (for example) or either as an overall package with additional icons that the administrator of the router assigns itself as needed. However, the first option would be ideal.

Thank you all for your answers.
I was merely suggesting that file size may be an issue, not "THE ISSUE". I believe Merlin has already answered your question and brought up a good point regarding licensing. Good job on the script and glad you got it to work for your needs.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online