What's new

5Ghz Upper band issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarnellG

Regular Contributor
I have been using an RT-AC5300 for a couple years. Recently in the last few months I've had issues with the 5Ghz-2 channel so after troubleshooting it and finding no obvious problems at the time and trying different firmwares I came to the conclusion that my router hae a hardware issue. I deactivated it and ran the router on one 5Ghz channel.

I just recently bought a Rt-Ax88u and everything was working fine using the setup wizard default settings. After a couple hours the wireless clients on the 5Ghz band were timing out and very slow. Did some more testing and found that the router switched channels and was now using ch161 where it had been using ch40 and 80Mhz bandwidth when I first powered it up. I did some more testing and when the router uses ch40 it runs fine but the upper channels are really slow.

I live in a rural area with my closest neighbor is about 300' away When I do a WiFi scan my router signal is almost - 30db within a couple feet of the router and but once in awhile I'll see 2 ssid's pop in and out at - 80db to - 90db and using 80Mhz bandwidth. One of the Ssid's is my neighbor because the SS8D is the name of his dog. The other one is "hidden" and I'm not sure where it's coming from. Both occupy the same channel and bandwidth.

I'm pretty sure interference is my issue but I'm surprised this very faint signal from another router would cause my WiFi to grind to a haul when I'm right beside my router. I get 600Mbit/sec on ch40 and 1-2Mbits on ch161.

I've manually set my router to use the lower channels which gives me stability for now. I always thought that some i interference would reduce bandwidth but not this bad. Is there a scanner that can measure background noise or interference coming from other sources? My goal is to use the RT-AX88U and RT-AC5300 in a mesh configuration and seeing the upper channels are giving me problems, what are my setup options?

I have been using an RT-AC5300 for a couple years. Recently in the last few months I've had issues with the 5Ghz-2 channel so after troubleshooting it and finding no obvious problems at the time and trying different firmwares I came to the conclusion that my router hae a hardware issue. I deactivated it and ran the router on one 5Ghz channel.

I just recently bought a Rt-Ax88u and everything was working fine using the setup wizard default settings. After a couple hours the wireless clients on the 5Ghz band were timing out and very slow. Did some more testing and found that the router switched channels and was now using ch161 where it had been using ch40 and 80Mhz bandwidth when I first powered it up. I did some more testing and when the router uses ch40 it runs fine but the upper channels are really slow.

I live in a rural area with my closest neighbor is about 300' away When I do a WiFi scan my router signal is almost - 30db within a couple feet of the router and but once in awhile I'll see 2 ssid's pop in and out at - 80db to - 90db and using 80Mhz bandwidth. One of the Ssid's is my neighbor because the SS8D is the name of his dog. The other one is "hidden" and I'm not sure where it's coming from. Both occupy the same channel and bandwidth.

I'm pretty sure interference is my issue but I'm surprised this very faint signal from another router would cause my WiFi to grind to a haul when I'm right beside my router. I get 600Mbit/sec on ch40 and 1-2Mbits on ch161.

I've manually set my router to use the lower channels which gives me stability for now. I always thought that some i interference would reduce bandwidth but not this bad. Is there a scanner that can measure background noise or interference coming from other sources? My goal is to use the RT-AX88U and RT-AC5300 in a mesh configuration and seeing the upper channels are giving me problems, what are my setup options?

I would not suspect WiFi interference. Most users have a ton of WiFi around them.

An Android app like WiFi Analyzer will show ambient signals around you for each band.

I suggest using separate SSIDs and fixed channels (no Smart Connect). My install notes suggest basic settings. If a channel seems troublesome, try another.

AiMesh will confiscate the 2nd 5.o GHz band, even if using a wired backhaul from node to router.

OE

161 never works for me either. Something about that particular channel.....as Ozark said, hard code them and turn off the auto select. Clients will appreciate it.

Not familiar with what the WiFi testing options are on yourAC5300, but with the AC86 running Merlin in addition to the usual site survey you also get channels statistics and advanced diagnostics which could help in tracking down the issue if the same options are available on your router.