What's new

68P vs 68U/R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JD575

Occasional Visitor
Hello to all,

Currently I have a Netgear 3500L, but I see a refurbished Asus 68P for $109. I have a large house and I am looking for better performance, parental controls, and over all better security/support (no more updates from Netgear). Just wondering the following:

1) 68P vs. the U/R in terms of performance? Is $109 worth it?
2) How are the parental controls on ASUS?
3) Support/Security patches from ASUS. I know this product has been out for roughly two years. Will I get support from ASUS and Merlin for at least several more years?

Thanks,
JD

Hello to all,

Currently I have a Netgear 3500L, but I see a refurbished Asus 68P for $109. I have a large house and I am looking for better performance, parental controls, and over all better security/support (no more updates from Netgear). Just wondering the following:

1) 68P vs. the U/R in terms of performance? Is $109 worth it?
2) How are the parental controls on ASUS?
3) Support/Security patches from ASUS. I know this product has been out for roughly two years. Will I get support from ASUS and Merlin for at least several more years?

Thanks,
JD

1) 68P CPU is 1 GHz, versus 800 MHz for the U/R SKUs. I'd say 109$ is a good price for that router, it's a very good product.
2) Depends on what you are looking for specifically. In addition to the usual configurable time periods, you can also restrict access to certain websites (adult/mature sites), or certain applications (IM or online games).
3) Impossible to tell, but so far Asus has a better track record than most other home gateway manufacturers when it comes to how long they keep supporting their products. They are still updating the RT-N16 and RT-N66U routers, which are a few years old.

Thanks RMerlin,

Is the newer firmware (ASUS or RMerlin) providing better performance nowadays? In SNB's review, it did not fair well.

I am also thinking about a TM 1900 and converting it to a 68U through a CFE change.

Thanks RMerlin,

Is the newer firmware (ASUS or RMerlin) providing better performance nowadays? In SNB's review, it did not fair well.

I am also thinking about a TM 1900 and converting it to a 68U through a CFE change.

I've never heard of anything wrong with the RT-AC68P's wifi performance.

See also here for a nice review of the P-variant.

...... The 68P actually outranks the 68U for maximum wireless throughput, mostly due to its strong 2.4 GHz results. But in pretty much every other wireless category the 68U does better. .....
...... All that said, the only reason you should buy an RT-AC68P vs. an RT-AC68U is for the P's significantly better USB 3.0-connected storage throughput. Since ASUS is managing to keep prices for both up near $200, you might as well go for it.....

Thanks, I saw that review. The P variant ranks pretty low right now duet to its 5ghz performance. I can get the T-Mobile 1900ac for a $25 dollar deposit. I think I will try that route first and change up the CFE.
I will post my results in that thread.

JD

I have a 68P as our main router and a T-Mobile AC1900 set as a access point. I notice no difference with any device we use (iPad, Android tablets, Android phones, Windows 10 2-in-1, 4 Windows 10 computers that connect via wifi) connected on the 5Ghz band with either one. had them both for a year now.
Running Merlin's firmware on both.

Sam

I have a 68P as our main router and a T-Mobile AC1900 set as a access point. I notice no difference with any device we use (iPad, Android tablets, Android phones, Windows 10 2-in-1, 4 Windows 10 computers that connect via wifi) connected on the 5Ghz band with either one. had them both for a year now.
Running Merlin's firmware on both.

Sam

I see I could do the same. Since the the refurb is pretty cheap (those deals come all the time). I will try with the TM router first and see if that meets my needs. Then expand with a AP if needed.

Thanks

I saw that there's a new revision of the BCM CPU, it's possible that this new CPU has entered the pipeline and is being used for newer production.

Just got a 68U Version B1 made in 2015 at Fry's on sale and it is 1ghz. I've checked and checked and its a 68U.
Interesting, I wonder if the TM1900 will be spec the same way. Hopefully this does not pose a problem to change out the CFE and use other FWs