What's new

802.11n dual band bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eaadams

Occasional Visitor
I need to get my internet signal up one strory and across 50' into my MoCA device.

I would like to use a wireless bridge.

What is the lowest cost bridge system at highest speed?

If you don't care about gig-e ports for wired devices and only care about the wireless, the cheapest route you can go is probably getting a linksys wrt160n v 1.0/1.1 router (version counts so don't get 2.0 or 3.0 just yet), flash it with dd-wrt v24 pre sp2 firmware and configure it as a bridge repeater. Then you not only get a wireless bridge, but also gain the ability to repeat your signal for your truly wireless devices. That is the best deal around. You won't find any normal market devices that work as a wireless bridge and a repeater at the exact same time. These will run between $65-$80 in stores right now.

If you do want gig-e ports, then you can grab the linsys wrt310n (version 1.0 - it's the only one so far). Still need to flash with DD-wrt to get the bridge repeater mode availability though. It will set you back $95 on Newegg right now.

If you're not big on flashing 3rd party firmware then go with the D-link dap1522. It works as either a bridge or an access point, but can't do both at the same time, and has a port gig-e switch built in. The linksys wet610n only has one ethernet port built in. Both of these operate in 2.4ghz or 5.ghz bands though whereas both of my router suggestions only operate in 2.4ghz.

Ok short story and you tell me.

We just got a T1.
It is in a closset.
I want to go

T1 -- Edgemark router -- 802.11n -- 802.11n -- switch - Netgear MoCA - switch - Office

At the switch I have devices (wired) and in the office I have devices wired.

That is what I am trying to acomplish.

Is it a bad idea to try to bridge this with NETGEAR WNHDE111-100NAR? Newegg has a 2 for 1 deal of $50 right now.

I am worried I have a big bottleneck between the Edgemark and the Office when I go from 802.11n to MoCA.

A T1 line is 1.5 Mbps up and down. Even 802.11g should provide plenty of bandwidth.

The WNHDE111 is an easy to use bridge. But depending on distance and particularly obstacles and building construction type, the 5 GHz signal could get attenuated too much. Up one floor and diagonally across 50 feet could be a problem.

The WNHDE111 is an easy to use bridge. But depending on distance and particularly obstacles and building construction type, the 5 GHz signal could get attenuated too much. Up one floor and diagonally across 50 feet could be a problem.

particularly obstacles: minimal furniture, no bathrooms or water pipes
building construction type: wall, ceiling, wall

building construction type: wall, ceiling, wall
Sheetrock / wood framing or concrete / brick.
Even with sheetrock / wood frame and assuming no foil-backed wall / floor / ceiling insulation, a 5 GHz signal might not reach.