What's new

86U selective routing issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rd82

New Around Here
Complete networking noob here. I have been trying for the past few days to setup selective routing for multiple devices.
Every time it seems like all devices want to latch on to one VPN, not the individual VPN I want configured for that device. For example, I setup VPN #2 (OpenVPN btw) it connects.I open a browser on device #2 and run an ip check. All is well.

Then I setup VPN #3 for device #3. Run an ip check and it is running through VPN #2 instead of #3.
I have tried policy rules, policy rules (strict),tried assigning static ip's. Also I have "Accept DNS configuration" set to disabled because my VPN does not play nice with some services. But using my WAN set DNS (Cloudflare) works fine.

Do I need to assign policy rules for every device on all VPN's? For example device #2 set to VPN on VPN #2 and set to WAN on all other VPN's?
I know nothing about scripting so I am trying to stay away from that route.

Any ideas?

Complete networking noob here. I have been trying for the past few days to setup selective routing for multiple devices.
Every time it seems like all devices want to latch on to one VPN, not the individual VPN I want configured for that device. For example, I setup VPN #2 (OpenVPN btw) it connects.I open a browser on device #2 and run an ip check. All is well.

Then I setup VPN #3 for device #3. Run an ip check and it is running through VPN #2 instead of #3.
I have tried policy rules, policy rules (strict),tried assigning static ip's. Also I have "Accept DNS configuration" set to disabled because my VPN does not play nice with some services. But using my WAN set DNS (Cloudflare) works fine.

Do I need to assign policy rules for every device on all VPN's? For example device #2 set to VPN on VPN #2 and set to WAN on all other VPN's?
I know nothing about scripting so I am trying to stay away from that route.

Any ideas?
OpenVPN client 1 gets the highest priority followed by OpenVPN client 2 thru 5 in that order. In the first OpenVPN client, put the routers IP address in the list and route it to the WAN interface. That should solve the issue. If you are not using client 1, then place the entry in client 2. You shouldn’t need the entry in the other clients.

You will see an example in my
https://x3mtek.com/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware/ blog post.

OpenVPN client 1 gets the highest priority followed by OpenVPN client 2 thru 5 in that order. In the first OpenVPN client, put the routers IP address in the list and route it to the WAN interface. That should solve the issue. If you are not using client 1, then place the entry in client 2. You shouldn’t need the entry in the other clients.

You will see an example in my
https://x3mtek.com/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware/ blog post.

Awesome, I appreciate the quick response! For now I configured the VPN’s on the individual devices to solve this. Obviously my speed is suffering compared to what it would be if configured on the router. I may eventually switch it back.

Thanks again! :)