What's new

87U and OnHub

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VacTacks11

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

My 87U is in my basement. My cable modem (in bridge mode) is plugged into it, and a single network cable runs from the 87U to a 5-port switch, which is unmanaged.

One of the cables running from the switch goes to my kitchen, where I want the OnHub to go.

Since the switch is unmanaged, I still want the 87U to provide DNS and DHCP for my wired devices, and the OnHub, if possible.

I bought the OnHub as my wife doesn't want the "ugly" 87U upstairs, and my wireless signal is being affected by its placement in the basement, especially in the 2nd floor rooms.

I'd like the OnHub to tackle my wireless and the 87U my wired.

Can this be done in my configuration?

Last edited:
I bought the OnHub as my wife doesn't want the "ugly" 87U upstairs, and my wireless signal is being affected by its placement in the basement, especially in the 2nd floor rooms.

seems a waste of the onhub feature set but just run it in wan bypass mode

see

How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

i dont think the onhub has a specific ap mode in its gui so wan bypass will be needed

The onhub can just be set to bridged mode. It supports it.

but its not recommended

How do I enable bridge mode?
https://support.google.com/onhub/answer/6240987?hl=en

Enable bridge mode on your OnHub (NOT RECOMMENDED)
If it’s too difficult to change your upstream device’s settings, you can turn your OnHub into a bridge. But you’ll lose some of its functionality:

• Priority device will be unavailable
  • DNS can’t be edited
  • WAN settings can’t be edited
  • Guest Wi-Fi
  • Wi-Fi efficiency results in Network check. (But download and upload results will still work.)
Still want to turn your OnHub into a bridge?

see link above for the rest

but its not recommended

How do I enable bridge mode?
https://support.google.com/onhub/answer/6240987?hl=en

Enable bridge mode on your OnHub (NOT RECOMMENDED)
If it’s too difficult to change your upstream device’s settings, you can turn your OnHub into a bridge. But you’ll lose some of its functionality:

• Priority device will be unavailable
  • DNS can’t be edited
  • WAN settings can’t be edited
  • Guest Wi-Fi
  • Wi-Fi efficiency results in Network check. (But download and upload results will still work.)
Still want to turn your OnHub into a bridge?

see link above for the rest
They mention this because it's turning the onhub into just an AP and hence you are essentially disabling many of the features as it's no longer being used as a router. That's the only reason they don't recommend it, they want you to use their routing features and trying to make things as simple as possible. It doesn't mean that bridged mode on an onhub is any different than any other wifi router that has a bridged or AP mode.

However I was bringing that up because you stated you didn't believe it has an AP mode, but bridged mode IS an AP mode. Bridged mode and AP mode are synonymous.

I've been using an onhub without issue in bridged mode for about 6 months.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Concur... just not a lot of reasons to do this for this particular device - if you need to bridge it (AP Mode), this isn't really the right device to own...
Nonsense :)

Apart from bang for the buck, it's an incredibly stable AP. The very few router features it has aren't missed and the remote administration of it via an app means I can access it to easily change the WiFi password on it even when I'm not home.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone as for the money if raw performance is a priority the are better options but it easily replaced my ac87u as my AP.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!