What's new

$9 Router Cooling (RT-AC68U Example)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looking to see where you live, because it can’t possibly be the UK if it’s warm outside, I saw you were:

Viewing thread Overclocking RT-AC56U, 20 minutes ago

Have you been up to no good? ;)

im living in Athens,GR so its a bit warmer than UK :) my room temperature is around 26 C but the poor AC56U with diversion, skynet and freshjr_qos is constantly hitting >90c

ps. yes, i was tempted to overclock this thing now (which now features an active cooling system, lol) but it seems that nvram method is no longer working.

I have an ASUS RT-AC86U with 2 x 70mm 12V fans installed running on 5V from routers own USB 2.0 port. Both fans blow air inside the router; the hot air escapes from the top vents. There is no noticeable noise coming from the fans. The router is running high-speed VPN client and has up to 20 wireless clients connected, all 5GHz n/ac with exception of two 2.4GHz n clients.

Before fans installation:
2.4GHz: 68C - 5GHz: 74C - CPU: 87C

After fans installation:
2.4GHz: 44C - 5GHz: 50C - CPU: 48C

This mod definitely makes a huge difference. Mine is DIY setup - 2 x ball bearing fans from Amazon, an old USB cable, some heat shrink tubes, some good quality double sided adhesive tape on 4 corners of the fans, 10min work to solder the connections and install the fans.

FWIW - I used to run a fan on the RTN16 and a couple other products including the Toshiba DST2000 DirecTV receiver (I think that was the model) that ran so hot you could actually burn your finger on the connections/case. They knew it was a hot box too :)

I do use large single fan laptop cooler for my fanless AV equipment that's in a cabinet. I get variable speed coolers and run them at their slowest level and always to exhaust It's more to keep the air moving across/through the unit versus a cabinet exhaust although it does help change the air.

However, for small items like routers I still use the setups I made years ago. I've got dozens of old CPU fans and USB cables in my box of junk in the office. I found that an old 486 cooling fan, a USB end from a broken/USB1 cable, some shrink wrap, and a little soldering is all it takes to solve most any heat issue. You don't need a lot of air, just enough to move things around. I locate the intended case exhaust location and place the fan over the slits/holes to pull air. 4 pieces of double sided automotive trim tape for the corners is all that is needed to secure things in place. Plus, if I recall correctly, the 486 CPU fans were 12V so running them at 5V makes them run more slowly and more quietly. I always powered them from the router USB without issues. These little setups have literally run for years 24/7 without issue. Every now then I vacuum the fan and the router just like I do with my PC cooling fans.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. You probably have a sufficient and free solution already in your junk box.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!