What's new

A few questions about DIY home network hardware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JimBloggins

New Around Here
I have what I believe to be a few simple questions about home.networkinh and compiling your own hardware for this use.

I currently have an AMD FX6100 w/ 24gb ddr3 running as our household game/file/media server. I currently run a Netgear R7000 w/ Netgear firmware and a Pi-Hole installation(w/ recursive DNS settings) on Pi 3B+ stock hardware. I run two 5 port switches, one behind a powerline adapter to get ethernet to another floor.

I have Shaw internet(which I despise) and discovered they do not allow altering of DNS settings when you use their DHCP software. The bonus to their DHCP software is that included in it is mobile app access to internet access scheduling/pause/resume/etc. However I enjoy having complete control over my home network so without DNS control it's a deal breaker.

The Netgear software allows DNS altering which is a bonus off the bat however it allows similar access scheduling/etc via a mobile app ONLY by paid subscription to a 3rd party. I'm exhausted by every company everywhere trying to milk a few dollars from every person they can via subscriptions ESPECIALLY when the ability to use those features are already in the software.

So my end result is to do as much work myself as possible with the time/knowledge I have to ensure I can have as much of the same functionality as possible. I have watch a million "build your own router!!!1111" videos, read tons of posts and found lots of tldr content. However I'm left needing to just ask a question or two to get enough information to move forward. I like to have as much information before making any purchases in any project so here I am.

Most videos/articles/etc seem to point to pretty specific situations when they talk about building routers from Pi's or unused older PC hardware and I think I have a semi-unorthodox situation myself.

My first question is;

Can I purchase and use a dual port NIC instead of 4 port NIC for a router built from a PC?

The 4 port cards I see are much more expensive(but seem to be the only ones people talk about) and if I already have a switch plus the R7000(that could run bridged mode) in-line, couldn't they just do the switching for the dual port NIC for cheaper?

Second question;

Is there a way to easily identify whether an NIC will benefit from the pcie 3.0 lanes on my FX6100 board?

More to that point, I see dual port gigabit and dual port 2.5 gigabit cards, is there a difference between the two for which pcie generation can be used?

Third question;

Can I run a Windows 10 OR Linux machine with all the services I want on it including routing software, game servers, file sharing, secondary Pi-Hole(I do realize Pi-Hole is not able to install on windows), FTP, Media server, PVPN, etc?

I'm comfortable in the windows environment and have explored Linux as far as a few installations over the years in desktop/laptop environments. I tried running ubuntu server as our home server a few years back but got overwhelmed by having to learn to do everything by terminal without the ability to have multiple windows open(I do know now I can run GNOME/etc if I wanted). I did try the dragonized Arch distro as my daily driver recently and had no issues except no DolbyDigitalLive ability with ease(CreativeLabs stupid issue for not supporting Linux) and the inability to use the HDR function on my expensive projector. When those two items are rectified fully I am happy to convert fully to Linux.

So with these experiences in Linux and Windows environments I think there're solutions to all my needs but I wanted to consult a community of knowledgeable people to confirm. I would prefer that if I went with Linux I could use a GUI instead of only terminal, I have used windows since windows was DOS so the microsoft environment is burned into my soul.

I also posted this on Reddit, I was curious what difference I will find in responses.

I have Shaw internet(which I despise) and discovered they do not allow altering of DNS settings when you use their DHCP software.

What is Shaw DHCP software?

The bonus to their DHCP software is that included in it is mobile app access to internet access scheduling/pause/resume/etc.

You must be running the ISP modem/router as router and your R7000 in double NAT behind it. Is this the case?

Can I purchase and use a dual port NIC instead of 4 port NIC for a router built from a PC?

Yes. You can actually purchase a single port NIC - most MB's have one built-in NIC already.

Is there a way to easily identify whether an NIC will benefit from the pcie 3.0 lanes on my FX6100 board?

Don't plan to use this computer. Run your router on a dedicated hardware, if you decide to go this way.

Can I run a Windows 10 OR Linux machine with all the services I want

You can, but it's not recommended. If this computer goes down, your entire network goes down with it.

I'm comfortable in the windows environment and have explored Linux

You need to be comfortable with firewall OS like pfSense or OPNSense. There is a steep learning curve for beginners and you need to know more advanced networking to set the system up the way you want it. There is nothing even close to consumer router firmware options. Windows and installing Linux experience won't help much. Make sure you know what you are doing before you purchase any hardware. The project may become really expensive. For a complete system you'll need firewall, managed switch with PoE and PoE access points with VLAN's support. You need to plan the entire system in advance.

I believe it's going to be much easier for you to upgrade your R7000 router to something modern, turn your ISP modem/router into modem only (bridge mode) and build the rest of your network around one All-in-One device. This is what most folks around do, using Asuswrt-Merlin supported Asus routers. This is the low-cost user-friendly solution.

What is Shaw DHCP software?
I'm sure the software that is running on the Shaw BlueCurve device is synonymous with a lot of North American ISPs. So while I did say Shaw DHCP software what I meant was simply the device software that is default installed to their hardware. Their router firmware, whatever name you choose to call it under. This information is regardless to the questions I am posing however, I am not using the ISP's software and am not asking about it either, I wrote it in as such to give some simple background/situational information. It is of no import.
You must be running the ISP modem/router as router and your R7000 in double NAT behind it. Is this the case?
No, this isn't the case; I suppose I wasn't clear enough using just past tense vernacular. I had said that because the Shaw router software does not allow DNS alterations it was a deal breaker, I meant I was not using it as such. The Shaw router simply handles my modem needs and nothing more. I am using the Netgear for all routing operations. This though again wasn't relevant to my questions but thank you for asking for clarification.

Yes. You can actually purchase a single port NIC - most MB's have one built-in NIC already.

Don't plan to use this computer. Run your router on a dedicated hardware, if you decide to go this way.

You can, but it's not recommended. If this computer goes down, your entire network goes down with it.

You need to be comfortable with firewall OS like pfSense or OPNSense. There is a steep learning curve for beginners and you need to know more advanced networking to set the system up the way you want it. There is nothing even close to consumer router firmware options. WIndows and installing Linux experience won't help much. Make sure you know what you are doing before you purchase any hardware. The project may become really expensive. For a complete system you'll need firewall, managed switch with PoE and PoE access points with VLAN's support. You need to plan the entire system in advance.

I believe it's going to be much easier for you to upgrade your R7000 router to something modern, turn your ISP modem/router into modem only (bridge mode) and build the rest of your network around one All-in-One device. This is what most folks around do, using Asuswrt-Merlin supported Asus routers. This is the low-cost user-friendly solution.
Apologies, I did not see this second post from you. I had thought with the first post you were being snooty. Thanks for the advice!

I'm not trying to be snooty, but if you really prefer using mobile apps to control your router, perhaps DIY hardware running firewall OS is not for you. There are threads about DIY firewalls around - the recent one is more about OpenWRT on x86 and ARM hardware. You may get some more ideas there:

Interesting reply, you're saying more or less that adding just a device that can handle routing for me wouldn't solve my issues?

What I'd thought was that my R7000 could handle all my wireless connections, my two switches could handle all the physical connections except between WAN and LAN and the new device I build handles routing while the ISP device handles the Modem work. I wanted to use Openwrt or something in that vein for my R7000 but after research the processor on the R7000 isn't able to produce wireless signals using the Openwrt platform. So then I went to trying to build the Pi CM4 with a networking carrier board but I cannot source a CM4 or the networking board in Canada right now. After that I started down the road of simply using one of the many older PCs I have stored away for random projects just like this, that's where I ended up here asking questions after a couple weeks of trying to find what I want on other sources.

Funny that you referenced that Pi4 project post. I may be looking for answers in the wrong area. I apologize for misreading your tone and thanks for the actual warm reception :)

You can run FreshTomato on this R7000 and ditch the Pi-hole. FT has built-in adblock, VPN server/client, DNS/NTP server + DoT + intercept, USB file sharing, QoS, IP Traffic monitoring... whatever you want and not available in Netgear firmware. Check it out before you make a decision what to do. You may have a free software solution waiting for you without the need to purchase any extra hardware. The router hardware is good to about 300Mbps WAN-LAN with most firmware options in use and up to 900Mbps with NAT acceleration enabled. Wi-Fi works in FT.

Last edited:
The latest FT2021.8 release is just few days old. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. The support forum is here:

Some FT GUI screenshots:

Guest Network in AP Mode:

Happy Holidays! :)

Alternatively, consider an Asus router with Merlin's firmware on it.
The Asus app still works with Merlin's firmware and I think it would allow you to do all the extra bits you're doing now as well.

I run Ubuntu as a router as well just hooking it into the CM w/ nothing in between.

At one point I had a QNAP AC2600 internal for the AP function until upgrading to AX AP NWA210AX.

Apps for managing your network... well.... Get your hands dirty and do it right.

FW can be really simple using iptables and maybe 15 rules.

-A INPUT -j PERMIT-IN
-A PERMIT-IN -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-IN -i br0 -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-IN -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-IN -j DROP

-A FORWARD -j PERMIT-FWD
-A PERMIT-FWD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-FWD -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-FWD -j DROP

-A OUTPUT -j PERMIT-OUT
-A PERMIT-OUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -o br0 -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j ACCEPT
-A PERMIT-OUT -j DROP

#NAT for routing
-A POSTROUTING -o tun0 -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -o nordlynx -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -o bo0 -j MASQUERADE

For running pihole just make an additional loopback for the static IP to be handed out in the DHCP configuration.

NIC - 2 ports is fine but 4 ports gives you options depending on the setup. Since you have a switch you probably don't need 4 but, if one fails it's a quick reconfiguration to enable a different port vs Iordering a new card or using a USB dongle, I went with QNAP 4 port 5GE card for$200 because I'm running the same box for several different functions (DVR / HTPC / NAS)

You can put $$$$ into it or slim things down to just act as the router for $$. Depends on your goals.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!