1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

A New Door Opens

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by thiggins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Senior Member

Thanks for your reply. From now on I'll login to my Amazon account thru the SNB link.

Clark Griswald likes this.
  2. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

Do you know if your commission still applies if we change the URL to smile.amazon.com after following one of your referral links?

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Nope, sorry.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

I agree that your skills are definitely worth more than minimum wage (if that)... and to the state of being the "webmaster" - it's not easy these days to get content in, keep things running, and make a decent living at it. And staying current on the industry - that's three, maybe four, jobs all in one...

Consider Scott of "The Tech Report" and Anand of "Anandtech" - Scott's at AMD these days, and Anand is over at Apple - and I wouldn't consider either of those sites niche - but the reality is what it is... Niche (and a high end one) - realworldtech.com - David Kanter is an acknowledged expert in a deep technical field - and even he has had to split his time...

I'm saying is you are not alone...

Whatever the arrangement is - I think this is a win-win - Octoscope is getting a great partner and contributor with keen insight into the business.

Best wishes for 2019

5. Christos

Christos New Around Here

Could you please add amazon.de to your affiliate program, for us who live in Europe.
    Thanks

6. thiggins

Thanks for the thought. However, I added Canada and UK some time and the revenue is very small.

7. Threska49

Threska49 Regular Contributor

Sounds like the Patreon model then. The fact there's a direct link between money and results. No whim of the ad-man. No blockers too. Just people putting their money where their mouth is.

8. parker55

parker55 Occasional Visitor

What do you mean by advertisement ? I can see ads here is that other thing or you are saying to other not to post any selling product

9. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

I tried to leave my machine open to ads. The security issues with malware just got too bad so a couple of months ago I had to block ads. I realized I was cleaning my PC every 2 or 3 weeks. I even had DNS controlled.

10. jalyst

jalyst Senior Member

I'm sad to hear about this, anyone aware of any other places on the net;
    That are nearly as good as SNB was, when it comes to all things networking?
    Esp. for NAS analysis? WiFi analysis still seems to be chugging along a bit, NAS not so much.
    Hopefully Brave's model (BAT) or some variant, takes-off in coming years.:(

11. thiggins

Jim Salter over on Ars is probably the best guy still reviewing Wi-Fi gear. But his reviews are less frequent than they used to be.
    Consumer NAS is pretty dead. Manfs have realized there is not much of a market there.

sfx2000, htismaqe and jalyst like this.