What's new

A New Door Opens

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for setting the whitelist on ads.
We get a commission on anything you buy at Amazon, Dave. But you need to click on one of the links either here or on the main site first. This sets a cookie with our affiliate code, which lasts about a day or so.

The box shown below is at the top of the right column on each page. You can click on the logo or the Go button. You don't have to enter anything in the search box.
Thanks for your consideration.
Thanks for your reply. From now on I'll login to my Amazon account thru the SNB link.

Thanks for setting the whitelist on ads.
We get a commission on anything you buy at Amazon, Dave. But you need to click on one of the links either here or on the main site first. This sets a cookie with our affiliate code, which lasts about a day or so.

The box shown below is at the top of the right column on each page. You can click on the logo or the Go button. You don't have to enter anything in the search box.
Thanks for your consideration.
Do you know if your commission still applies if we change the URL to smile.amazon.com after following one of your referral links?

To another of your points, this decision is not prompted by not being able to cover the cost of hosting SNB and SNBForums. The two revenue streams more than cover those costs. The issue is being able to make a living doing something that pays more than the equivalent of minimum wage. My skills are worth more than that.

I agree that your skills are definitely worth more than minimum wage (if that)... and to the state of being the "webmaster" - it's not easy these days to get content in, keep things running, and make a decent living at it. And staying current on the industry - that's three, maybe four, jobs all in one...

Consider Scott of "The Tech Report" and Anand of "Anandtech" - Scott's at AMD these days, and Anand is over at Apple - and I wouldn't consider either of those sites niche - but the reality is what it is... Niche (and a high end one) - realworldtech.com - David Kanter is an acknowledged expert in a deep technical field - and even he has had to split his time...

I'm saying is you are not alone...

Finally, I didn’t seek full-time employment with octoScope or any other company. The agreement and working relationship with octoScope suits both of us very well. I could not ask for a better group of people to work with.

Whatever the arrangement is - I think this is a win-win - Octoscope is getting a great partner and contributor with keen insight into the business.

Best wishes for 2019

Could you please add amazon.de to your affiliate program, for us who live in Europe.
Thanks

Could you please add amazon.de to your affiliate program, for us who live in Europe.
Thanks
Thanks for the thought. However, I added Canada and UK some time and the revenue is very small.

Running an advertising-supported website as my primary job.

Sounds like the Patreon model then. The fact there's a direct link between money and results. No whim of the ad-man. No blockers too. Just people putting their money where their mouth is.

What do you mean by advertisement ? I can see ads here is that other thing or you are saying to other not to post any selling product

I tried to leave my machine open to ads. The security issues with malware just got too bad so a couple of months ago I had to block ads. I realized I was cleaning my PC every 2 or 3 weeks. I even had DNS controlled.

I'm sad to hear about this, anyone aware of any other places on the net;
That are nearly as good as SNB was, when it comes to all things networking?
Esp. for NAS analysis? WiFi analysis still seems to be chugging along a bit, NAS not so much.
Hopefully Brave's model (BAT) or some variant, takes-off in coming years.:(

I'm sad to hear about this, anyone aware of any other places on the net;
That are nearly as good as SNB was, when it comes to all things networking?
Jim Salter over on Ars is probably the best guy still reviewing Wi-Fi gear. But his reviews are less frequent than they used to be.
Consumer NAS is pretty dead. Manfs have realized there is not much of a market there.

i think you should run a mixed model, some from patreon, some from ethical ads, some from Amazon links...etc.

Is there a way to associate my Amazon account with a specific afiliate so whenever I buy something they get a cut too instead of having to go to their site and click their link?

Is there a way to associate my Amazon account with a specific afiliate so whenever I buy something they get a cut too instead of having to go to their site and click their link?
The Amazon Smile program lets you do that with charities only.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!